General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Raleigh half? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 20

2013-06-04 8:15 PM
in reply to: fgump

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Subject: RE: So, how are we feeling today?
Thinking back on the race, I do have one suggestion for WTC. Way more port o johns at T1. Man I stood in line for 45 minutes. Walked into the woods once and there were hundreds of people dropping bombs by trees. Had to really watch your step!

2013-06-04 9:16 PM

User image

Regular
Raleigh
Originally posted by fgump

I did a 3000m swim set at 4:30am, followed by a 40 mile LT interval set at 7am, and wrapped it up with a 14-mile run through Umstead this afternoon, and I feel pretty good.

How about y'all?

Actually, it was a relaxing 2-mile walk with a cup of coffee this morning and a 7-mile mountain bike ride along the greenway this afternoon...man, these 70.3s HURT!

I ate chicken wings for dinner (f-you rich roll). I actually feel pretty good. Muscles aren't very sore. Just still feeling very lethargic.

Since this thread is moving to post race territory, any plans for you folks for the rest of the year? I'm going up to Ohio to do the 5i50 in July and going back up for the Columbus marathon in October (family is all up there, and they are all runners). I'd like to sneak in one more Olympic race here in NC before the marathon, maybe august-ish. I have a coupon for Setup events. Im still pretty new to multisport, any races you guys recommend to fill my plate?
2013-06-04 9:17 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Regular
Raleigh
Originally posted by titeloops

Thinking back on the race, I do have one suggestion for WTC. Way more port o johns at T1. Man I stood in line for 45 minutes. Walked into the woods once and there were hundreds of people dropping bombs by trees. Had to really watch your step!

+1 I stood in line for 49 minutes because you took too long in there!

Edited by herkimer81 2013-06-04 9:18 PM
2013-06-05 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
I hear you on the bathroom situation. I peed in the woods that morning and for the FIRST TIME EVER in my wet suit! No really, I have just never had to pee in it before.

Feel you guys on the lethargic side... I feel fine to train but would most likely be really slow. So I am taking a week off.

You might check out the Culpeper International on Aug 3rd from Setup. I did the sprint there a couple of years ago. Beautiful area and the temps were relatively cool for that time of year (Culpeper is on the foothills of the mountains).

and to SUCK the life out of this thread... finished my 3rd 70.3 on Sunday and yesterday got told I won't have a job by the end of the month [only been here 16 years]. WOOHOO!! pretty much kills my doing B2B 140.6 in October.

Edited by bullyboy 2013-06-05 8:29 AM
2013-06-05 9:15 AM
in reply to: bullyboy

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Originally posted by bullyboy

I hear you on the bathroom situation. I peed in the woods that morning and for the FIRST TIME EVER in my wet suit! No really, I have just never had to pee in it before.

Feel you guys on the lethargic side... I feel fine to train but would most likely be really slow. So I am taking a week off.

You might check out the Culpeper International on Aug 3rd from Setup. I did the sprint there a couple of years ago. Beautiful area and the temps were relatively cool for that time of year (Culpeper is on the foothills of the mountains).

and to SUCK the life out of this thread... finished my 3rd 70.3 on Sunday and yesterday got told I won't have a job by the end of the month [only been here 16 years]. WOOHOO!! pretty much kills my doing B2B 140.6 in October.

That sucks! But,,, you would have lots of time to train.
2013-06-05 9:25 AM
in reply to: bullyboy

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

I feel for you; I went through this about three years ago when my company was sold and they let everyone go. However, I actually signed up for B2B when I heard the news and focused hard on my training (when I wasn't doing job search stuff, of course). I found it really helped me as a stress reliever and taking my mind off things. Ultimately, things worked out well - I found a new job within a few a months and had a great experience in Wilmington.

So, one person's opinion, you might want to reconsider not signing up for the race. And I wish you the very best of luck in finding a new position.

2013-06-05 9:42 AM
in reply to: Patrick E

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by Patrick E

I feel for you; I went through this about three years ago when my company was sold and they let everyone go. However, I actually signed up for B2B when I heard the news and focused hard on my training (when I wasn't doing job search stuff, of course). I found it really helped me as a stress reliever and taking my mind off things. Ultimately, things worked out well - I found a new job within a few a months and had a great experience in Wilmington.

So, one person's opinion, you might want to reconsider not signing up for the race. And I wish you the very best of luck in finding a new position.

This is good advice, as long as it works with the job search strategy. For those that have been around a while, you may recall I went through a similar situation in 2010. Ran Boston 2010. Did lots of summer training. Did Mayo Lake Sprint one weekend, and the following Thursday was let go from my job of 10 years (recent merger and other issues). Immediately intensified job search mode (had already been looking). I missed registering for Boston 2011 because I was on a job interview the day it opened (and filled before I got home from it).

My friend was doing IMFL 2010, I had time, had recruiters on the case, so I said what the heck, I'll go and volunteer. Was even fielding recruiter calls in Panama City Beach...I worked in Transition, drove him around, helped his wife be IronSherpa, and had an amazing time giving back to the sport.

Fast forward to December 2010, landed my current (dream) job, and have a very supportive suite of coworkers. One of whom was one of the most amazing volunteers on the run course Sunday at aid station 3 (the grass-skirt brigade).

Long story short, keep your ear to the ground and beating the bushes, but don't let work suck the life out of you.
2013-06-05 9:51 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina
Congrats to all the finishers!!! What an awesome day/event!!! Hard to think that it is over already.....after almost a year of anticipation!!

Congrats also to qrkid (Daryn) on a fantastic performance.

It was good to see Louis and Daryn Saturday at the swim start and I saw Louis on the run (on the trail system). Daryn was way too far ahead!

EDIT: I also saw the "Go Bill Bass" sign on the wooden bridge just after Meredith College.

The only thing I would change is (as mentioned before) more portajohns at the lake (at least double). Took care of #2 at the hotel but did have to go #1 in the woods. No way I was going to stand in those lines.

For anyone that went to awards, I heard a rumor that 5 female Vegas slots and 2 male slots went to "anyone in the room" Can anyone confirm this?

Alan

Edited by japarker24 2013-06-05 9:54 AM
2013-06-05 10:21 AM
in reply to: Patrick E

User image

Expert
Wendell, NC
Originally posted by Patrick E

I concur. Did ya ever notice that when we're really stressed, the first thing we ditch are the things which relieve our stress? Humans are just silly in so many ways.
2013-06-05 11:03 AM
in reply to: louiskie

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: RE: Updates from Registration
Originally posted by louiskie

Wait, so people thought the run was hard? Thats just crazy talk!

I have nothing more to add really other than to echo the frustration with the wetsuit issue, even though it is ultimately our responsibility. I DO NOT think the RD should grumble publically about having to haul wetsuits back and then state a water temp of 79 and warming up, only to announce it is wetsuit legal the next day, without updating the facebook page. Easy fix. But still ultimately our issue as competitors. And I thought the swim was a little long. Or I suck at open water swimming. But my time was slow for me by a good 3 or 4 mins.

Bike- glad we had a tailwind for some of that! I took it relatively easy on the bike and enjoyed the amount of support on the bike.

Run- saved myself for this one and started slowly...and managed to hold it together for most of the run, until about mile 10 or 11 when I lost the will to live. But had a really nice guy come up to me just before the turn to the finish (I was walking a little) and say "lets run this in together" and once I got going he said "now take those long legs and take off". Nice guy. And then another nice guy came up right at the finish chute, patted me on the back and said hey. It was fgump who, class-act that he is, said "go on ahead, you cross first". Met a lot of good folk during the race.

Only other minor complaint was the line into the food section. Setup does a much better job of that- the buffet is just easy to get to an "open" so you can grab 15 cokes if you want! But thats a minor issue. I really enjoyed the race and may actually do it again (I had swore before I wouldn't!). Was fun fussing on here with you guys and reading all your comments.

And a public shout-out to our own qrkid who finished second in the 40-44 age group, 29th overall and qualified for Vegas. And I think he had the fastest run split of non-professionals. Amazing performance. Actually, keyone is just as impressive doing it with her broken shoulder! Crazy tough.

Proof. Louis let me know about this photo. This is what makes this stuff fun. I'm on the left, he's the stud center frame. 4:01 was the margin, as he was one wave behind me (7:26 start versus my 7:22).

(fgumplouiskie.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
fgumplouiskie.jpg (63KB - 32 downloads)
2013-06-05 11:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.

I have nothing more to add really other than to echo the frustration with the wetsuit issue, even though it is ultimately our responsibility. I DO NOT think the RD should grumble publically about having to haul wetsuits back and then state a water temp of 79 and warming up, only to announce it is wetsuit legal the next day, without updating the facebook page. Easy fix. But still ultimately our issue as competitors. And I thought the swim was a little long. Or I suck at open water swimming. But my time was slow for me by a good 3 or 4 mins.

Bike- glad we had a tailwind for some of that! I took it relatively easy on the bike and enjoyed the amount of support on the bike.

Run- saved myself for this one and started slowly...and managed to hold it together for most of the run, until about mile 10 or 11 when I lost the will to live. But had a really nice guy come up to me just before the turn to the finish (I was walking a little) and say "lets run this in together" and once I got going he said "now take those long legs and take off". Nice guy. And then another nice guy came up right at the finish chute, patted me on the back and said hey. It was fgump who, class-act that he is, said "go on ahead, you cross first". Met a lot of good folk during the race.

Only other minor complaint was the line into the food section. Setup does a much better job of that- the buffet is just easy to get to an "open" so you can grab 15 cokes if you want! But thats a minor issue. I really enjoyed the race and may actually do it again (I had swore before I wouldn't!). Was fun fussing on here with you guys and reading all your comments.

And a public shout-out to our own qrkid who finished second in the 40-44 age group, 29th overall and qualified for Vegas. And I think he had the fastest run split of non-professionals. Amazing performance. Actually, keyone is just as impressive doing it with her broken shoulder! Crazy tough.

Proof. Louis let me know about this photo. This is what makes this stuff fun. I'm on the left, he's the stud center frame. 4:01 was the margin, as he was one wave behind me (7:26 start versus my 7:22).

Correction: I am the tired looking guy center frame...fgump is the guy with a little something left in the tank ;-) I freaking love this picture....your expression is hilarious Bill...and that at the end of a long, hot, hard day at the office.

2013-06-05 12:12 PM
in reply to: louiskie

User image

Master
Raleigh
let's be serious here though...when is Bill never NOT smiling!
2013-06-05 1:10 PM
in reply to: halfpint

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by halfpint

Well, you asked.

(swimout.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
swimout.jpg (85KB - 31 downloads)
2013-06-05 2:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by halfpint

Well, you asked.

Bill + swimming = frown
Bill + run/bike/anything else = smile

By the end of the summer, Bill + swim = smile
2013-06-05 5:47 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Nice job, Louis...now, you need to work on the tan along with the fitness!
2013-06-05 6:52 PM
in reply to: d00d

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by d00d

Nice job, Louis...now, you need to work on the tan along with the fitness!

d00d, I need to work on a lot more than just the tan!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Raleigh half? Rss Feed  

of 20