World Triathlon Corporation
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 03m 23s
Overall Rank = 712/
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 87/
Pre-race routine:

I stayed near Boulder again FBO the extra hours sleep, and the wife came up for dinner. Had a good meal at Pasta Jays and walked around Boulder creek after.
Got into transition ~5am, set up ad ready to go by 6. They closed transition at 6:30, so went down to the waterside to wait for wave7 at 7:30.
Event warmup:

swam a few loops, watch the pro's start, swam one more loop.
Up to the beach and joined my group of neon green caps.
Swim
  • 33m 20s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Decent swim, not too much contact. I wandered a bit on the first leg, but not too far off course. Caught wave 6 before the first turn, after that the crowd was spread out enough there weren't too many traffic issues. I fell into good long strokes after that first turn, and finished strong into the beach. The run up to transition felt pretty good, and not too winded from the effort in the water.
What would you do differently?:

More consistent and frequent swim workouts in the last couple of months leading to race day.
Transition 1
  • 02m 35s
Comments:

Not too disorganized on this one, and I didn't lose as much time as expected deciding to include socks at the last minute. Got to the line and on the bike with no issues.
Bike
  • 2h 56m 40s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.02 mile/hr
Comments:

Not what I was hoping for, but $%@# happens. The ride started out well, good cadence and didn't feel bad except for a twinge in the left quad. That went away, but was replaced by a brand new left knee pain that spoke up whenever I pushed the gears too hard.
I also managed to under-hydtate, leaving over 20 oz. of the last bottle unfinished; the price for this came due during the run.

Drink everything I carry. I still cant figure out how I mismanaged the fluid consumption, other than just being too conservative because I wasn't pushing harder.
Transition 2
  • 03m 17s
Comments:

Quick and easy, felt decent getting off at the line and back to my spot in transition.
Time includes a trip to the porta-johns at the south side of transition, before heading back to the north run out.
I also paused for a sun-screen-er on the way out, but should have had them re-coat my neck and back. Hindsight...

Void while on the bike? I just don't get how people do that...
Run
  • 2h 27m 31s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

This started out well enough. The first mile was a decent-for-me 9:45, the first 4 were ~41 minutes. I put the arm coolers on in the 2nd mile, and did the usual aid station routine of ice in the hat, sips of coke and or water, cold sponges in the jersey and ice water on the sleeves. I was carrying the Nathan pack with a bottle of Heed, but it wasn't going down well so I chucked it by transition after the first lap. During mile 5, by the 'sudden death' canal, I started feeling not so good. It didn't help that this year the canal was full, flowing strong and noisily while the temperature soared. This was also the point where a woman ran by me, slowed to a stop and lost whatever she just had at the last aid station, and my reaction was 'OK, its not just me'.
The spacing of the aid stations was less consistent than prior years as well; that made staying hydrated and cool more of a challenge. On the second loop I saw a couple of guys collapsed under trees by the road, and one taken off in a cart. Mile 8 on there was a small cluster of others cat-and-mousing, so as long as they were in front of me it was time to run. When I got a little bit ahead, I lost focus and broke stride. The running stride felt good while I was doing it, but I could feel myself drying out at the same time. At mile 11 I ignored the volunteers and stood by the water table, soaking every inch and drinking a couple of cups as well - the conversation was "You doing alright buddy?" "Yea, I'm just gonna take liberties with your water here". Also had a footie cramp from mile 9 to the finish, but managed to run almost all the last mile in.

Don't get behind on hydration, its a deal breaker.
Post race
Warm down:

Finished, the family took the accessories off my hands so I could get down to the beach and back in the water for a few minutes to cool down my core. refueled, looked for more water but was told they needed every bottle since there was only enough for one per finisher; on my way to the car after I saw two full pallets of H2O, makes you wonder...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

under-hydration and knee pain

Event comments:

The last minute announcement about closing 51st and having a shuttle system was a crock on both parts, they apparently had the road open at several time and two tiny buses for way too many spectators. I was lucky my family made it for my finish, apparently many others weren't so fortunate.

Last updated: 2012-01-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:20 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 25/
Overall: 274/
Performance: Average
Suit: Blue70 Long John
Course: triangular http://ironmanboulder.com/course/swim/
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:35
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:56:40 | 56 miles | 19.02 mile/hr
Age Group: 81/
Overall: 616/
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Bike • 56 Miles • 2 Loops http://ironmanboulder.com/course/bike/
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:27:31 | 13.1 miles | 11m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 87/
Overall: 712/
Performance: Below average
Course: Run • 13.1 Miles • 2 Loops http://ironmanboulder.com/course/run/
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-08-06 10:59 AM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Boulder

2012-08-06 11:15 AM
in reply to: #4348973

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Boulder

Still a great race Steve, too bad you guys couldn't get Saturday's weather instead.  Fast swim as usual and sub 3 hour bike to boot.  Running in that heat is tough.

I think you've put in the prerequisite century rides, long swims, and HIMs.  Time to up the ante.  Wink  You're ready.

2012-08-06 2:57 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton

Dang Steve, tough out there yesterday.  I cannot believe for a second "they needed every bottle since there was only enough for one per finisher".  Actually, I believe they said that, I also believe WTC would be that cheap.  Just a suggestion for the future- why don't you try a different 70.3 course?  Redman is awesome, Kansas is great, I've also heard good things about Rev 3.  WTC is a cheapskate organization.... I did the Naperville Sprint that 5150 now owns, and it was totally cut-rate.  

Still, you had a good race and went sub-3 on the bike- nicely done!

2012-08-06 4:38 PM

User image

Elite

Good job Steve. You were just a head of me on the swim. We were probably together on the bike. I finished just a couple of minutes later, but had to stop at the can. I only say that because I did not pass a lot of people in our group, and I wasn't passed by a lot. I just sort of found that odd.

And I would eat a piece of pizza if it was dead on the side of the road... but they really need to do something else. Both years I wanted to puke after the race and it's the only time in my life the thought of pizza was helping that happen.

2012-08-06 4:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Parker, CO

Nice swim!  and way to break 3 hours on the bike.  The heat was definitely a factor this year.  I think they also started this race 30 to 35 minutes later than last year.  I was in wave 8 or 9 last year and we went off at 7:05.  this year wave 9 kicked of at 7:40.  Not sure why they just don't start this race sooner.  6:30 am would be nice.

Way to hang tough on the final miles of the run.  Not sure about you, but once I got on the pavement in the last 1/2 mile that heat practically overwhelmed me.

2012-08-06 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4349013

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch

I need to get past the mental block of 26.2.  And for reasons that escape me today, I enjoy the challenge of this distance.

I was surprised by the water comment, but not shocked, they get a little more disorganized every year (this year not even water bottles for swag?).  As for future venues, I'm game for something that's not Boulder next year (see facebook photo). 

When I crossed the finish they announced the tempo had gone up over 10 degrees in the last hour. I recall coming up the Diagonal Highway feeling the heat coming up off the pavement.

Half the vendors were packing up when I went in for food, and my kids ate the pizza I couldn't stomach...thank goodness for the Chocolate Milk tent!

Edited by StMaas 2012-08-06 5:14 PM

2012-08-06 10:23 PM

User image

Great swim!!!  I suffered through the run as well.  It just seemed to progressively get hotter.  I guess that's because it did.  But hey, we finished which is always a victory in itself!

Echo the comments about road closure.  My family alomost missed me.  I really think they have outgrown that venue.  Either need to cap it or move it.

If you're looking for other 70.3's, I highly recommend Harvest Moon: less $$, clear water, good support, cooler temps.  The only real downside is most of the run is on concrete.

Good luck and congrats again.

2012-08-07 11:35 AM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Way to hang in there Steve.  That run course is just brutal in the heat...no shade to be found anywhere.  Excellent swim as usual and a pretty fast bike.  I know you have put in the training but the hot temps can turn 13.1 into a total sufferfest.  Nice job!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Boulder Rss Feed