Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Poor Sportsmanship by US Vaulter (Mckayla Maroney) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-08-07 7:02 AM
in reply to: #4348991

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.
Subject: RE: Poor Sportsmanship by US Vaulter (Mckayla Maroney)

did you also see the the uneven bar finals last night?  after it was over, but before the scores were finalized they replayed the spot were Gabby Douglas messes up at the top of the bar.  the camera was showing the Russian girl's reactions during Gabby's routine and as soon as Gabby messed up the Russian girl smiles and her coach hugs her...literally as Gabby messes up, not at the end of the routine. 

nothing like getting caught on camera hoping your competition screws up.   was that poor sportsmanship? 

2012-08-07 7:08 AM
in reply to: #4350535

User image

Elite
antlimon166 - 2012-08-07 8:02 AM

did you also see the the uneven bar finals last night?  after it was over, but before the scores were finalized they replayed the spot were Gabby Douglas messes up at the top of the bar.  the camera was showing the Russian girl's reactions during Gabby's routine and as soon as Gabby messed up the Russian girl smiles and her coach hugs her...literally as Gabby messes up, not at the end of the routine. 

nothing like getting caught on camera hoping your competition screws up.   was that poor sportsmanship? 

Yes, in my opinion that was poor sportsmanship.

2012-08-07 7:11 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
There is an old saying.  When are happy when you get the gold because you won.  You are happy when you get the bronze because you still metaled.  When you get the silver you are disappoint because you were so close to getting the gold.
2012-08-07 7:20 AM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member

I find it amusing that such a judgemental thread starts with the phrase "Don't judge me, but..."

Not that I'm judging...

Cool

2012-08-07 7:20 AM
in reply to: #4350438

User image

Elite
Left Brain - 2012-08-07 2:51 AM
ChineseDemocracy - 2012-08-06 11:03 PM
jmk-brooklyn - 2012-08-06 11:54 PM
ChineseDemocracy - 2012-08-06 10:46 PM

jmk-brooklyn - 2012-08-06 11:22 PM X2. I saw nothing wrong in her reaction. She was upset at the result and upset with herself. I would have thought it was weird and phony if she'd put on a happy, glowing smile and gone over to hug the girl who won. And that photo? You know that was like a 1/1000 of a second exposure, right? And the photographer probably shot hundreds of exposures and his editor published the one that best fit the narrative that they were trying to sell: "Look at the grouchy diva--she won a silver medal and she's pouting on the podium! She's such a bad sport!" Congratulations for falling for it.

Often times that's the case...but not here.  I was watching this one on NBC, and the pouting was not reserved for the podium...if it were only a 1/1000th of a 2nd exposure, fine, but it really wasn't.

btw, I don't think anyone disappointed in her behavior was expecting a happy, glowing smile and a warm hug.  They were expecting this person to show more class and be happy with being the 2nd best female vaulter in the world in the 2012 Olympics.

I'm sure in a day or so, she'll be happy with it. It's asking an awful lot of someone in that situation to just shrug and go, "oh well-- silver's nice too". I think it's crappy to call her classless for having the audacity to be upset at this moment that she spent her whole life building up to. As if any one of us has any idea what it's like to be her or how we would react in that situation.

It might also be considered "crappy" to state someone called her actions "classless" when they clearly stated she "could have shown more class."  There is a difference.  btw, the folks disappointed in her reaction are not saying she did not have a right to be upset, folks do have a right to be upset with the manner in which she behaved while representing our nation...in my opinion of course.  

Bro.....you ever been second?  It sucks.  I wouldn't respect anyone who was happy with it.  Being disappointed has NOTHING to do with sportsmanship.  Go google pics of people with silver medals......it's the worst.  

What I find comical are comments from people who want to pass judgement but couldn't carry a silver medal in a bucket.  Gimme a break.  Again, SHAMEFUL!!!

Well, at least I feel comfortable knowing that both sides seem to be casting stones on this one.  

If you read my posts, I never said being disappointed is equal to poor sportsmanship.  Of course it's normal to be disappointed.  Even the op stated as much...but, as was mentioned before, you get past the initial sting and behave in a proper fashion.  

btw, my Franklin comparison is valid.  Did you see her response to bronze?  It was extremely classy.  

Listen, this isn't the end of the world!  Folks "protecting" Maroney don't have to worry, this isn't some reprehensible behavior that she's being "attacked" for...in my opinion it was "less than ideal."  As said before several times, hopefully she learns from this and doesn't do it again.  People are allowed to make mistakes...and people are allowed to point out those mistakes...and hopefully we all learn from them.

2012-08-07 7:55 AM
in reply to: #4350362

User image

Master
Salisbury, North Carolina
RushTogether - 2012-08-06 11:35 PM

tri42 - 2012-08-06 9:54 PM
RushTogether - 2012-08-06 10:36 PM
tri42 - 2012-08-06 9:20 PM
Marvarnett - 2012-08-06 12:09 PM

Don't judge me, but I was watching the vault finals last night (waiting for the 100m final).

What struck me immediately is that after McKayla Maroney found out that she did not get the gold medal (due to falling on her 2nd vault) she just glared at the Romanian girl that won.  I don't care if you're the huge favorite or not.  When you are beaten, you congratulate the person who won.

Instead, she just glared at her and gave a fake hug, which was initiated by the other girl.  Some people may say, "She was in shock, blah blah blah".  No, you have a brief moment to show your real character.  And she did!  Even on the medal stand she didn't have the respect to show the winner.

What's sad is that all these people, especially little girls, will be looking up to her and I hope that Moms and Dads everywhere say, "Don't be a poor sport like McKayla".

Dan I agree with you 100 % as I was thinking the same thing last night, and you don't have to be disturbed by it to start a thread. I'm surprised at some of the different responses posted. You called it exactly..... her real character or lack of showed thru...it doesn't matter how much time was invested or what the expectations were. When you lose, shake hands and show a little class. Very poor sportsmanship, regardless of the situation. She is not excused. How about just a little focus on class, values, or whatever you want to call it... just a little is all I ask. That did not look good for her or the U.S. I don't let stuff like that go but that's just me.

I guess I missed the part where you were an Olympian.  Seriously, do you know how you would react in her situation?   

She's 17.  Cut her some slack....

She could have acted a little more gracious in defeat. Even a little better attempt at a fake smile would have looked a whole lot better. Was she hugely, bitterly disappointed and in shock ? Absolutely. HUGE stage for sure but that doesn't excuse it, whether I'm an Olympian or not.

Sorry, I am going to call you out again.  You can SAY how you would of reacted, but you just don't know..you will never now.  So how dare you criticize an Olympic athlete that has done noting but great things for our country..she made a face..GET OVER IT and grow up..

Grow up ??????? What irony. Do you always act like this when someone has a differing opinion ? Show a little respect or stay out of the conversation.

2012-08-07 7:59 AM
in reply to: #4350580

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
tri42 - 2012-08-07 8:55 AM

Don't judge me, but I was watching the vault finals last night (waiting for the 100m final).

What struck me immediately is that after McKayla Maroney found out that she did not get the gold medal (due to falling on her 2nd vault) she just glared at the Romanian girl that won.  I don't care if you're the huge favorite or not.  When you are beaten, you congratulate the person who won.

Instead, she just glared at her and gave a fake hug, which was initiated by the other girl.  Some people may say, "She was in shock, blah blah blah".  No, you have a brief moment to show your real character.  And she did!  Even on the medal stand she didn't have the respect to show the winner.

What's sad is that all these people, especially little girls, will be looking up to her and I hope that Moms and Dads everywhere say, "Don't be a poor sport like McKayla".

Dan I agree with you 100 % as I was thinking the same thing last night, and you don't have to be disturbed by it to start a thread. I'm surprised at some of the different responses posted. You called it exactly..... her real character or lack of showed thru...it doesn't matter how much time was invested or what the expectations were. When you lose, shake hands and show a little class. Very poor sportsmanship, regardless of the situation. She is not excused. How about just a little focus on class, values, or whatever you want to call it... just a little is all I ask. That did not look good for her or the U.S. I don't let stuff like that go but that's just me.

I guess I missed the part where you were an Olympian.  Seriously, do you know how you would react in her situation?   

She could have acted a little more gracious in defeat. Even a little better attempt at a fake smile would have looked a whole lot better. Was she hugely, bitterly disappointed and in shock ? Absolutely. HUGE stage for sure but that doesn't excuse it, whether I'm an Olympian or not.

Sorry, I am going to call you out again.  You can SAY how you would of reacted, but you just don't know..you will never now.  So how dare you criticize an Olympic athlete that has done noting but great things for our country..she made a face..GET OVER IT and grow up..

Grow up ??????? What irony. Do you always act like this when someone has a differing opinion ? Show a little respect or stay out of the conversation.

Says the man who is judging a 17 year old girl on the basis of one reaction on TV.

2012-08-07 8:20 AM

User image

Elite
Boise

Fight, Fight, Fight

My reaction watching the event on NBC, "That girl looks like she is going to murder someone".

2012-08-07 8:46 AM
in reply to: #4350545

User image

Bronze member
the bear - 2012-08-07 7:20 AM

I find it amusing that such a judgemental thread starts with the phrase "Don't judge me, but..."

Not that I'm judging...

Cool

x5,000 and I also find it a little sad that there is so much discussion about what is perceived she has done wrong as opposed to what she obviously did RIGHT. Her vault for the team final was literally jaw dropping. Let's see 3 pages of discussion about that.

So many people are quick to find the flaws. I can't help thinking how nice it would be if we spent as much time lifting each other up.

2012-08-07 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4350588

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami
trinnas - 2012-08-07 8:59 AM
tri42 - 2012-08-07 8:55 AM

Says the man who is judging a 17 year old girl on the basis of one reaction on TV.

The irony of this amazes me....Adults stating that a child lacks class because she showed emotion after falling short of her expectations....On the other hand, most people including most NBC commentators praise the desire to win when a professional athlete that gets paid millions does something similar.

But hey, lets judge a girl that was putting all her hopes and hard work of the last 4 years based on a few seconds of emotion.

2012-08-07 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4350580

User image

Expert
tri42 - 2012-08-07 7:55 AM

No, just when someone is being as silly as you are.

Wink

2012-08-07 9:17 AM
in reply to: #4349422

Master
Memphis, TN
trigal38 - 2012-08-06 1:47 PM

This is interesting to me because my husband and I were watching the same thing last night and he also commented on her attitude but I was actually more turned off by Usain Bolt in the 100.

Is the issue sportsmanship?  I'm pretty sure I watched Usain Bolt strut around the track making lightening bolts with his arms after his win in the 100. He passed off some fake hugs himself. Is that being a good sport? Just my own observations.

I guess I'm not sure why one display is o.k. (not by anyone particular in this thread but media in general) but this little girl gets jumped all over. Because he won and she didn't?

He has said he wants to be a legend in the Olympics.  He is well on his way with how he runs.  He has also said he wants to give back some respect to the fans and make a bit of a show out of it. 

Sprinters have never been lacking in the "confidence" area.  Even with that,  he is the best and doesn't look like anyone can catch him. 

2012-08-07 9:52 AM
in reply to: #4350765

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Jtiger - 2012-08-07 9:17 AM

trigal38 - 2012-08-06 1:47 PM

This is interesting to me because my husband and I were watching the same thing last night and he also commented on her attitude but I was actually more turned off by Usain Bolt in the 100.

Is the issue sportsmanship?  I'm pretty sure I watched Usain Bolt strut around the track making lightening bolts with his arms after his win in the 100. He passed off some fake hugs himself. Is that being a good sport? Just my own observations.

I guess I'm not sure why one display is o.k. (not by anyone particular in this thread but media in general) but this little girl gets jumped all over. Because he won and she didn't?

He has said he wants to be a legend in the Olympics.  He is well on his way with how he runs.  He has also said he wants to give back some respect to the fans and make a bit of a show out of it. 

Sprinters have never been lacking in the "confidence" area.  Even with that,  he is the best and doesn't look like anyone can catch him. 

Did you see that Usain Bolt shushed a reporter who was trying to interview him on live tv because the national anthem was playing for another athlete elsewhere in the stadium? He interrupted the reporter who was trying to ask him a question and told her that he wanted to wait until the medal ceremony was over. He then stood there quietly and listened to the American anthem being played and when it was over, and the applause had died down, he turned to the reporter and finished the interview.
And we’re calling him a bad sport too?
2012-08-07 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4350537

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
ChineseDemocracy - 2012-08-07 7:08 AM

So let me get this straight:
McKayla was upset when she lost, and the Russian girl was happy when she won and because both of them were so emotional at this, the most important moment of their lives, that they couldn’t conceal how they felt, we’ve decided that they’re both bad sports?

Seriously? Dude, the smile was barely a flicker across her face. It’s not like she was yelling “Noonan!” at Gabby during her routine, or jumped up and down as soon as she missed the handstand. She and her coach just realized she won a gold medal. At the Olympics. Which she's been training for her entire life She’s not allowed to smile?

2012-08-07 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
I can't help but wonder - if her reaction had been all smiles and congratulations for the winner, would we have seen a similar thread critiquing her lack of competitive fire or killer instinct? (i.e. 'Did you see her?  She didn't even look disappointed.  She just didn't want it enough!').  I don't think there was a reaction she could have had that would have left everyone satisfied...
2012-08-07 10:37 AM
in reply to: #4350907

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
jmk-brooklyn - 2012-08-07 11:00 AM
ChineseDemocracy - 2012-08-07 7:08 AM

So let me get this straight: McKayla was upset when she lost, and the Russian girl was happy when she won and because both of them were so emotional at this, the most important moment of their lives, that they couldn’t conceal how they felt, we’ve decided that they’re both bad sports? Seriously? Dude, the smile was barely a flicker across her face. It’s not like she was yelling “Noonan!” at Gabby during her routine, or jumped up and down as soon as she missed the handstand. She and her coach just realized she won a gold medal. At the Olympics. Which she's been training for her entire life She’s not allowed to smile?

I'm with you on this.  After the win (granted, she kinda walked into that win, but it still counts) people were standing around with somber looks on their face.  Had it been Mckayla, she would've been doing the big-wave thing to the crowd. 

Now NBC edits to show things the way they want us to feel (as has been shown in the team event) but it looked like people were holding back the joy for this girl, Sandra Izbasa, who has trained every-bit as hard in undoubtedly harder circumstances (Romania went through a post-communist depression far worse than what we're going through) because the favorite lost. 

I'll venture a comparison, Tiger Woods from '01 and just blew a 4 shot lead on the 18th hole of the Masters to some nobody and instead of taking off his hat on the 18th hole and shaking his hand, he frowns at him, doesn't offer his hand, and walks off the green with a pissed-off look. 

If your sport says you take your hat off and shake hands, you do that. If it says you give a hug with a smile on your face no matter what, then you do that. Otherwise, stay on the sidelines.

2012-08-07 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4350968

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

BHannahs - 2012-08-07 10:16 AM I can't help but wonder - if her reaction had been all smiles and congratulations for the winner, would we have seen a similar thread critiquing her lack of competitive fire or killer instinct? (i.e. 'Did you see her?  She didn't even look disappointed.  She just didn't want it enough!').  I don't think there was a reaction she could have had that would have left everyone satisfied...

I don't think so.
Look at athletes like Gabby Douglas and Missy Franklin. Even Jordan Weaver when she didn't make the all around finals. She cried, she moved on. You don't see them being poor sports when they lose - and poor sport is different than showing emotion, IMO. Did anyone catch Gabby's interview last night after she came in last on the bars? Pure class. 

2012-08-07 10:40 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario

I don't  see the event but I did see a athelelte profile vignette on her and could not help thinkning that she came accross as both conceited and dumb. I know she's young but still.. And they probably edited out the less flattering things out...

2012-08-07 10:56 AM
in reply to: #4351041

User image

Pro
mgalanter - 2012-08-07 10:40 AM

I don't  see the event but I did see a athelelte profile vignette on her and could not help thinkning that she came accross as both conceited and dumb. I know she's young but still.. And they probably edited out the less flattering things out...

After reading your post, and seeing your mistakes, and not knowing a single thing about you, you come across to me as dumb as a box of hammers. 

How does that feel?  I don't mean it personally of course, BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW YOU!  I guess it's just as viable for me to judge you based on a few sentences (if that's what they are) as it is for you to judge an athlete based on a few seconds.

Edited by Left Brain 2012-08-07 10:58 AM
2012-08-07 11:18 AM
in reply to: #4351041

User image

Expert
mgalanter - 2012-08-07 10:40 AM

How does it feel to insult a 17 year old girl that you don't even know?

2012-08-07 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4351037

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
lisac957 - 2012-08-07 10:38 AM

BHannahs - 2012-08-07 10:16 AM I can't help but wonder - if her reaction had been all smiles and congratulations for the winner, would we have seen a similar thread critiquing her lack of competitive fire or killer instinct? (i.e. 'Did you see her?  She didn't even look disappointed.  She just didn't want it enough!').  I don't think there was a reaction she could have had that would have left everyone satisfied...

I don't think so.
Look at athletes like Gabby Douglas and Missy Franklin. Even Jordan Weaver when she didn't make the all around finals. She cried, she moved on. You don't see them being poor sports when they lose - and poor sport is different than showing emotion, IMO. Did anyone catch Gabby's interview last night after she came in last on the bars? Pure class. 

Don't forget, Gabby had already won the individual all-around a few days ago, and is competing in two other single-apparatus finals besides uneven bars, so, while I’m sure it was a bummer for her to miss out on a medal in her signature event, I suspect she is in a very different place emotionally than McKayla, who had this one and only chance to win an individual medal.

And anyway, I don’t see what Gabby did last night as being much different than what McKayla did. She finished her routine, packed up her stuff, gave the winner the traditional perfunctory hug, gave a short interview, and left before the medal ceremony. She didn’t have to stand on the medal stand next to the girl who beat her and pretend to look happy about it because she didn't finish on the podium.

As for Missy Franklin. She has had many chances to win medals and is very young in a sport where people continue to compete at the Olympic level into their late 20's, so she'll probably have at least one more Olympics, probably two, before she's done. McKayla was one and done. This was her shot, and she failed at a vault she's done thousands of times. It's asking a lot for her to instantaneously put it aside and put on a happy face.

2012-08-07 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4351162

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

jmk-brooklyn - 2012-08-07 11:21 AM

McKayla was one and done. This was her shot, and she failed at a vault she's done thousands of times. It's asking a lot for her to instantaneously put it aside and put on a happy face.

In my mind, being a good sport doesn't have caveats like age or experience or number of chances. Either you are, or you aren't. 

2012-08-07 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4351180

User image

Champion
Lost in the Luminiferous Aether
lisac957 - 2012-08-07 12:29 PM

McKayla was one and done. This was her shot, and she failed at a vault she's done thousands of times. It's asking a lot for her to instantaneously put it aside and put on a happy face.

In my mind, being a good sport doesn't have caveats like age or experience or number of chances. Either you are, or you aren't. 

And of course the people of this thread have never failed to be their best selves in an emotionally charged and stressful situation, at least not on TV anyway.

2012-08-07 11:40 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Couple of things:

I said 'Don't judge me' because I was watching Gymnastics.  Nothing more than that. But I find it funny the projections from that.

I do find it humorous that most people are looking for excuses as to why poor sportsmanship is acceptable.  It's the Olympics, She's 17, She was home-schooled, She's mean, It's her only shot, etc.  You know what...NONE of that matters.  That's right..location does not matter. 

Have I been to the Olympics?  No..not even close.  Have I placed 1st, 2nd, DFL?  Yes I have.  And the reaction when I crossed the finish line each time, relative to my competition was the same.  You respect the effort put forth.

Being rude to the person that beat you OR to the person you beat is unacceptable at any age and location.  I don't care if you just lost or Won IronKids or Kona.  You can come up with all the excuses you want but she, in that moment, showed Poor Sportsmanship. 

I am NOT calling her names or taking that statement to mean anything about her personal life.  I don't know her, nor do I care to.  But I do know as a coach, when I have seen this happen you had better believe I step in and correct the athlete.  I have done this to both a 17 year old an a 40+ year old.  I will say it again, location and stage do not matter. 

2012-08-07 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4351162

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
lisac957 - 2012-08-07 10:38 AM

I don't think so.

Don't forget, Gabby had already won the individual all-around a few days ago, and is competing in two other single-apparatus finals besides uneven bars, so, while I’m sure it was a bummer for her to miss out on a medal in her signature event, I suspect she is in a very different place emotionally than McKayla, who had this one and only chance to win an individual medal. And anyway, I don’t see what Gabby did last night as being much different than what McKayla did. She finished her routine, packed up her stuff, gave the winner the traditional perfunctory hug, gave a short interview, and left before the medal ceremony. She didn’t have to stand on the medal stand next to the girl who beat her and pretend to look happy about it because she didn't finish on the podium. As for Missy Franklin. She has had many chances to win medals and is very young in a sport where people continue to compete at the Olympic level into their late 20's, so she'll probably have at least one more Olympics, probably two, before she's done. McKayla was one and done. This was her shot, and she failed at a vault she's done thousands of times. It's asking a lot for her to instantaneously put it aside and put on a happy face.

x2

Let's not forget that people were PRAISING McKayla just days ago for being SO SELFLESS to just do ONE event at the Olympics then cheer her butt off for her teammates the rest of the team event.  That takes some class right there...to know you're not considered "good enough" except for one event and still go out there and compete?

So she finally gets her one moment in the sun during the vault finals and totally messed it up.  That will send anyone's head spinning.  IMHO she was probably trying to keep it together and smiling/hugging was not going to help her do that.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Poor Sportsmanship by US Vaulter (Mckayla Maroney) Rss Feed  

of 4