General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing etiquette for sprinting/passing at end of race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-08-07 12:58 PM
in reply to: #4350756

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Racing etiquette for sprinting/passing at end of race
BHannahs - 2012-08-07 9:15 AM

As others have said, it is a race and you did nothing at all wrong by giving your all at the end.  No breach of etiquette, nothing rude about it.  She was being juvenile by acting the way she did.

I understand the dilemma, though.  It can be a judgment call on how to finish a race.  In my last 1/2, I was set up in transition next to a guy who I got to talking to.  I found out it was his first 1/2.  We walked to the swim start together.  As it happened, we saw each other numerous times on the course, as we came out of the water together, I passed him on the bike, and he passed me back in the first couple of miles of the run.  I happened to run better than normal that day, and had a good second half.  About a 1/4 mile from the finish, I saw him just ahead.  I struggled with what to do.  If I really emptied the tank, I might be able to catch him just at the chute.  It might make for an exciting finish, and I might get the satisfaction of outrunning him at the end.  I also thought about the flip side, though.  After being friendly all day, would it seem sneaky to try to snipe him at the end?  Would it take away from his first 1/2 IM finish if we were both gasping for breath in the finisher's picture?  Ultimately, I decided that the one spot really didn't matter to me and it wasn't worth it.  I cruised in about 20 seconds after he did, met his family, and congratulated him on a great race.   I know other people will disagree with this approach, but both of us walked away happy.   

I don't disagree at all - you made a decision that was right for you at the time and at the same time aren't telling people it's right for them.

I personally would have yelled to let him know I was coming to give him fair warning and then tried to run him down, but you made a split second decision you could live with - what's to disagree with

twomarks

2012-08-07 1:09 PM
in reply to: #4350570

User image

Regular
Euless, Texas

like many others have said, don't make her issue(s) your own.  it seems you did nothing wrong.  lots of races are won with a kick at the end.  take the tour de france for example.  the sprinters wait until the last hundred meters or so to really sprint it out with each other.

IMO, there is no 'etiquette' for passing someone at the end of a race.  As long as you're not getting in their way or somehow hindering them, all is fair.

2012-08-07 1:23 PM

New user

Another 'you did nothing wrong'

And I'll add two things I find funny -

People who are sprinting against each other at the finish when they clearly started in different waves.

And people who run at a very modest pace yet somehow cover the last couple hundred feet at an all out sprint.

2012-08-07 1:37 PM

User image

New user
Austin

Those numbers on the back of our legs are there for a reasonCool So you can bear down on the peeps in your AG and try and pass em. 

If that lady didn't want to get passed at the tape she shouldn't have entered the race! 

2012-08-07 1:39 PM

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Agree with everyone else that you did what you were supposed to do.

My own experience and 'learning'

1. Running a 10k with a friend as a 'training' run - we had been together the whole time - had a lovely time. Only my second race, ever.  This friend surges in the last 20m to beat me.  I was unimpressed. We had been running together but apparently it was important to her to beat me.  Didn't make that mistake again and ran my own races in the next few we did together - and i beat her every time.

2. Triathlon - doing a sprint-ish distance.  I ended up pretty much alone at one end of the course on the bike and it was a lollypop turn around, I had checked and no one was around so i slowed down a bit but out of nowhere this DB is beside me - says 'turn much' pretty rudely and passed me on the inside.  I steamed. It was SO rude and against the rules! Pass me, fine.  I was being slow, fine. But that was unneccessary. It was about three seconds.  If only an official was there!! He was gone and I was mad.   Anyway, i am a decently strong runner and out on the run I saw this guy. He looked to be struggling so i felt a little bad.  I forgot it and kept running as i had one more lap to do.  However, as i was coming to the last 200m i saw this guy and it gave me the pep i needed just to zip right by right in the finishing chute.  Did not feel bad. I know i beat him by at least a few minutes since i was in the first women's wave which was after all of the men had gone.    That was satisfying.

2012-08-07 1:44 PM

User image

New user
Michigan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJo_aN4Eg2M

Lance getting passed AT the finish line.  He acts kinda put out, but guess what? The finish line isn't at the beginning of the chute. If you want to jog along and high five, that's fine.  The race ends at the finish line.   

2012-08-07 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.

Here is my list of folks I will NOT out sprint at a finish....I will pass them but I will not retaliate with a sprint should they choose to fight.

1. Old Men (like 65+)

2. Young Kids

3. Any Women

4. Hot Women* They get passed, and then I slow up, encourage and let them cross first

2012-08-07 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4351405

Master
Houston, TX
mrbbrad - 2012-08-07 12:57 PM
jgaither - 2012-08-07 1:39 PM

Justin, your kids are waiting at the finish line to run across with you, 

Now that's bad race etiquette

I don't want anyone passing me at the finish line!!!!

2012-08-07 3:29 PM

Chicago

Above all else, play it cool at the finish line.

2012-08-07 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Vicksburg
Absolutely, race to the line. But do not knock down anyone in the process -that would be unsportsmanlike. Happened to me in a 12K. I passed a woman coming up the hill to the finish and I guess it made her mad. Right as I was entering the finish chute (and I mean a real chute of maybe 4' wide) she was at my side and swung her elbow to knock me out of her way and into the pole. It was just crazy. I did give her the evil eye as I exited the finish and silently cheered when she didn't place during awards. A little satisfaction since I didn't place either. At least she didn't.
2012-08-07 4:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Weird, I have to say I never gave the finishing kick a thought before. I think it's interesting that some running forums seem to think its not cool to pass people close to the finish line, wth? It's a freaking race, doesn't mean your a "newb" in my book, it means you want to leave whatever is left in the tank on the race field, that's called a strong finish and one that was drilled into me on the track team...back when I could actually run

Congrat's on kickin butt, you should have turned and gave her a raspberry when she gave you a dirty look lol!

Patsy

2012-08-07 4:50 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Only time I might consider it kinda rude if you you passed someone who slowed down so they can try to get a cool IM finishing photo.  Technically you would still do nothing wrong in that case.  a race is a race and you can not expect people around you to always be nice if your trying to do something.

I wonder if she was crying out of exhaustion since she gave it her all to try to beat you. 
2012-08-07 5:05 PM
in reply to: #4351925

User image

Master
Central Indiana

chirunner134 - 2012-08-07 5:50 PM Only time I might consider it kinda rude if you you passed someone who slowed down so they can try to get a cool IM finishing photo.  Technically you would still do nothing wrong in that case.  a race is a race and you can not expect people around you to always be nice if your trying to do something.

+1

At my IM last fall I was running close to another guy coming down finishing chute (in MOP position).  For some reason the only thing I thought at the time was about not messin' up each other's IM finishing photos.  I distinctly heard the announcer say something like "after 13 hours we still have a race".  Mustered my last bit of energy to "sprint" ahead far enough for both of us to get decent photo op's.  If he were faster I would have dropped back to accomplish same thing.

Otherwise- I always sprint to the finish.  Fans don't cheer to see people doggin' it at the end Tongue out

2012-08-07 5:14 PM
in reply to: #4351532

User image

New user
Austin
Fastyellow - 2012-08-07 1:45 PM

Here is my list of folks I will NOT out sprint at a finish....I will pass them but I will not retaliate with a sprint should they choose to fight.

1. Old Men (like 65+)

2. Young Kids

3. Any Women

4. Hot Women* They get passed, and then I slow up, encourage and let them cross first

Add to that...anyone missing one or both legs.  I was at a HM in San Antonio a few years ago.  I started WAY in the back with my now wife and after it thinned out the first mile of the race I ran my own speed.  Fast forward to a mile and half left...I'm having a great day on towards a PR and I come up on this guy that was in a US Marine shirt and was missing both legs, had those bionic spring things as replacements.  That kind of takes the wind out of your sails..so to speak...it was still 1 1/2 miles to go so I couldn't not pass the guy, but it did give me a reality check real quick!
2012-08-07 5:30 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
i have never heard of this type of race etiquette.  sounds like something to make those who shouldn't be out there in the first place keep from getting their feelings hurt.  if you are at an event just to finish and complete a goal, fine, be happy if you do it. don't get angry at others who are out there for their own reasons, which may be to kick as much a$$ as possible.

Edited by Clempson 2012-08-07 5:31 PM
2012-08-07 5:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

No.  Your race etiquette is fine.  Doesn't matter if it's sprint or Ironman.  That's what people do.  Every race I've been in no matter what the distance, that happens.  It's a race.  And it's fun to sprint at the finish line, isn't it?  Passing a couple people while you're coming to the end of a race, pushing all that your body has left is fun.

Crying?  Really?  That's a little extreme.  I wouldn't feel bad if I were you.

2012-08-07 5:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

The race isn't over until you cross the finish line.  Like others said, if she didn't llike getting passed then she should have given it all at the end like you did.  Good Job.

In every race that I run I yell let's go to anyone near me over the last 1/4 mile and kick as hard as I can.  My favorite was two years ago in Boston where I was starting to fade over the last 200 yards and another runner and I kicked it out with everything that we had then both high fived after we crossed the line.

At the end of every local race my wife and kids yell "Kick it last name!"  I don't plan on letting them down.

Edited by rick4657 2012-08-07 5:56 PM
2012-08-07 5:58 PM
in reply to: #4352038

User image

Sensei
Sin City

I think people mistake you sprinting to the end as something personal.  Like you are tying to beat THEM specifically.  Not so.  It could be anyone (or no one) and you just want to finish strong.

I think think think you singled them out to beat.  Not so.  They need to realize that at that point in the race, most people are racing for themselves and not trying to beat THEM in particular and they take it personally.

2012-08-07 6:46 PM

User image

Expert
San Luis Obispo, CA
I think Kris Gemmell wanted to cry after this!
2012-08-07 7:20 PM
in reply to: #4351925

User image

Extreme Veteran

chirunner134 - 2012-08-07 4:50 PM Only time I might consider it kinda rude if you you passed someone who slowed down so they can try to get a cool IM finishing photo.  Technically you would still do nothing wrong in that case.  a race is a race and you can not expect people around you to always be nice if your trying to do something.

I wonder if she was crying out of exhaustion since she gave it her all to try to beat you. 

I respectfully disagree.  I think that if someone wants to ensure they have their moment of fame and finisher pic all alone, then it's on them to either speed up or wait for a moment for the chute to clear out a bit.  It's not everyone else's obligation to slow down and wait for the photo op to be finished before they cross the line.

2012-08-07 7:34 PM

User image

Regular
Costa Mesa

People who want perfect finish line commemorative photos should head instead to their nearest Sears for the commemorative Ironman(TM) photo collection complete with majestic Finishers' Arch and related props such as finisher's ribbon, medals.  Free shot of you rolling past the finish line with every 30 dollar purchase :3

I didn't pay my entry fees to enter a beauty pageant.  If it's a photo they're after and they want no one else in their way, all they have to do is just run faster or slower than everyone else.  They shouldn't expect everyone else to block the photo for them like some stage play. Especially after I get a glimpse of the chocolate milk they're passing out, then I'm Usain Bolting my way to the chocolate milk line.

2012-08-07 7:41 PM

User image

Veteran
   It is called a race for a reason.  Everyone is trying to win or at least beat their own time, etc, and the fastest person wins!  I see no problem at all in passing someone unless you bump them as you pass or something like that.
2012-08-07 7:46 PM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

If sprinting past someone in the end is not appropriate, then I think I should have a few more state championships and podiums than I do LOL. A race is a race, and it isn't over until the finish line. You're SUPPOSED to finish hard, with whatever you have left--if it's an IM and all you have left is a drunken stagger, fine. If you feel great and you have a super sprint, super. As others have said, the only inappropriate thing would be to push or otherwise impede another athlete's progress to the finish, step by someone who's collapsed beyond the finish, or push by someone in the chute. 

Mybe the woman's anger was really at herself, not you. I once lost a state championship by a few seconds to two girls in the final 20 meters after leading a 5K from the start. I'm sure there were some tears and cussing involved, but it wasn't directed at them. Your competitor may have just been upset with herself that she couldn't respond to your challenge. In all the years I've been racing, I've never had someone get mad at me for outkicking them. And I've raced some pretty rude people, esp. as a teenager.

At least you actually beat her. I made a goofus of myself in my last race, hunting down some poor woman I spied up ahead of me and getting almost five minutes on her in the last mile. The age group number had washed off her leg, I couldn't tell, so had to assume she might be in my AG. Turned out she wasn't, and was in a wave that had started five minutes after mine, so I still hadn't actually beat her. Whatever--she was gracious about it after and jokingly asked me if my speciality was the 1500m!

2012-08-07 8:08 PM

User image

Elite

So Sunday in my HIM, I had nothing left. We were a couple of hundred yards from the finish line, and getting back into the spectators. A gentleman ahead of me started to walk. He was an older gentleman.

I tried to give him some encouragement... "Come on buddy, we are almost there. Let's finish this thing."

He responded with, "looking strong, keep going".

I kept going, giving it all I had, which was just to keep going.

Not long after I feel a pat on the back, "Good job, looking strong" ... and the older gentleman passed me. That B@%@#%!!! 

I tried to catch him, but all I caught was his dust. He left me for dead. I tried to reel him back, but no way. Maybe I should have rested before the finishing straight. Laughing

I sincerely hope he got a smile out of that. Really.... I did.

Geez, it's a flippin' race. I can't believe someone would be so absorbed with themselves that they would think you trying to do the best you could was somehow a personal insult to them. That somehow their feelings took precedent over your hard work to be the best you could be. Completely ridiculous.

2012-08-07 8:20 PM

User image

jaja63 - 2012-08-07 5:48 AM

I had an unpleasant experience in my last trail race. In a few running forums, I’ve seen posts questioning whether it’s rude to sprint past people at the end of a race. Most people say it’s not rude but some people felt sprinting/passing at the end were juvenile or newbie behavior. I’m wondering what a triathlete’s take on this would be.

At my last trail race (10k) I passed a few people before the finish line (gory details below). The woman who came in behind me was crying and angry.  At herself?  At me?  With the dirty looks she was giving me at the food stand, I took it personally.

There was a “killer hill” (not long but very steep) about 600m from the finish; I knew that last hill would make or break my race.  When we got to the “killer hill” I chose to walk it getting passed by the woman in question and a few others. At the top of the hill, I pushed right back to my downhill pace even picking it up a bit, passing all those who had passed me. The woman struggled to match my pace over the next 200-300m, slowly losing ground. Then, I did the unforgiveable (?), I picked up my pace even more (definitely not a sprint though it felt like it on my tired legs) crossing the finish line about 10 seconds before her.

So while I didn’t feel like I was being rude, the woman’s dirty looks and tears, and the opinions in the other forums, have made me start to wonder if what I did was rude, inappropriate …. Is there some bit of race etiquette that I’m missing here? Or should I just chalk it up to the fact that this woman may not have the best attitude?

You were not being rude, you did what you are suppose to do.

She has a bad attitude.

Congrats on running a smart race.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing etiquette for sprinting/passing at end of race Rss Feed  

of 4