General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing etiquette for sprinting/passing at end of race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-08-07 7:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Central France
Subject: Racing etiquette for sprinting/passing at end of race

I had an unpleasant experience in my last trail race. In a few running forums, I’ve seen posts questioning whether it’s rude to sprint past people at the end of a race. Most people say it’s not rude but some people felt sprinting/passing at the end were juvenile or newbie behavior. I’m wondering what a triathlete’s take on this would be.

At my last trail race (10k) I passed a few people before the finish line (gory details below). The woman who came in behind me was crying and angry.  At herself?  At me?  With the dirty looks she was giving me at the food stand, I took it personally.

There was a “killer hill” (not long but very steep) about 600m from the finish; I knew that last hill would make or break my race.  When we got to the “killer hill” I chose to walk it getting passed by the woman in question and a few others. At the top of the hill, I pushed right back to my downhill pace even picking it up a bit, passing all those who had passed me. The woman struggled to match my pace over the next 200-300m, slowly losing ground. Then, I did the unforgiveable (?), I picked up my pace even more (definitely not a sprint though it felt like it on my tired legs) crossing the finish line about 10 seconds before her.

So while I didn’t feel like I was being rude, the woman’s dirty looks and tears, and the opinions in the other forums, have made me start to wonder if what I did was rude, inappropriate …. Is there some bit of race etiquette that I’m missing here? Or should I just chalk it up to the fact that this woman may not have the best attitude?

2012-08-07 7:51 AM
in reply to: #4350570

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: RE: Racing etiquette for sprinting/passing at end of race
Last time I checked the race was over at the finish line.  If I can pick up a spot or two in the last 10 meters I'm going to.
2012-08-07 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
East Greenbush
Umm there is a reason they call it a race.  In my opinion if people can't handle getting passed at the end then perhaps they shouldn't be in a race.
2012-08-07 7:52 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
If you are racing, unless you are so far ahead of everyone else you can afford to soak it all in, every second counts.
2012-08-07 7:53 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Its a race, right? I don't see how passing folks, weather its on the bike, half through the run, or near the finish can be seen as 'unsporting'. Heck, she passed you on the hill with 600 meters to go, then you return the favor, and she's upset? I don't see this as you having done anything wrong at all. Don't make her issues yours.
2012-08-07 7:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Doesn't seem like you did anything wrong in any way... I am all about encouraging others on the course, but it is still a race, right?

You did your best and finished strong!

2012-08-07 7:56 AM

I think crying about getting passed is juvenile behavior. Get over yourself and train harder next time.

You didnt do anything wrong!
2012-08-07 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
Some of my funnest moments in races have been all out sprints to the finish line with strangers.  In every case, whether I was the first one across or not, we laughed and high fived on the other side of the line.  Just last race a guy from my age group was trying to catch me from behind.  I gave it all I had and beat him to the finish line.  We ate pizza and chatted for the next 45 minutes.
2012-08-07 8:02 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-08-07 8:03 AM

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Its a race, if you got it in you at the end, go for it! Last year at a tri I got passed 20 feet from the finish line and the girl who passed me got 3rd female overall and I took 1st in age group. That's racing, no etiquette for this type of situation
2012-08-07 8:04 AM

Master
Northern IL
Don't push or cut people off, but otherwise run whatever speed you want. It's your race, you finish how you like. It's not over til it's over.

2012-08-07 8:05 AM

Expert
Next to a big lake

I have passed and been passed at the end of a race.  Personally I wonder why people put the big push at the end of the race when that energy could have been applied over the course of the race with better results, then catch myself kicking it in on that last little bit to push through more so when there is someone next to me.  We are competitive creatures.

The race goes until you cross the finish.  If you ran your race and executed your plan and did not impact any other racers then you are good to go.  In your experience I believe the fault is with how the other person responded after the finish. 

Now if someone finished ahead of me and then turned to do a victory dance in my face.  That is a different story.

2012-08-07 8:05 AM
in reply to: #4350583

Expert

You did what?  That is incredibly rude!  If someone works hard and gets off the start line before you then they win.  The rest of the race is just a technicality.  Everyone else knows this that's why after the first 1/4 to 1/2 mile or so once everyone has kind of settled into their pace passing becomes illegal.  The field can spread out as the race goes on but no one is aloud to change position!  IT IS FORBIDDEN! 

On a serious note perhaps her tears had nothing to do with you passing her.  Maybe she just had a bad race?  Maybe she thinks you cut her off?  Maybe she took offense to your "You just got chicked" t-shirt?

2012-08-07 8:13 AM

Wichita

rude would be knocking her down or cutting her off so that she wouldn't pass you.  I always sprint to the finish no matter what.  I'm not going to win but I want to finish the best that I can and most of the time I have a goal time wise to beat.  I am not going to miss my goal to spare someone else's feelings.  

And another thing, unless she is a pro athlete, what is with the attitude with you passing her?  Last time I checked not very many of us are pro athletes.  You aren't winning money for theses races.  The race should be fun, if it isn't fun take up another hobby that is fun.

2012-08-07 8:17 AM

Expert
Sounds like you executed perfectly and cry baby didn't. Nice job. Next time, turn around and flex at her at the finish.
2012-08-07 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4350599

Wichita
tcarlson78 - 2012-08-07 8:05 AM

I have passed and been passed at the end of a race.  Personally I wonder why people put the big push at the end of the race when that energy could have been applied over the course of the race with better results, then catch myself kicking it in on that last little bit to push through more so when there is someone next to me.  We are competitive creatures.

The race goes until you cross the finish.  If you ran your race and executed your plan and did not impact any other racers then you are good to go.  In your experience I believe the fault is with how the other person responded after the finish. 

Now if someone finished ahead of me and then turned to do a victory dance in my face.  That is a different story.

I agree with the bolded statement some.  No matter how hard I push myself during the race I always kick it out.  That is what I was taught in cross country and track.  However, my last HM the amount of kick I had left at the end told me that I didn't spend enough of it on the course.  My first HM I didn't know if I was going to make it the last mile because I was so dead, I still was able to pick it up a notch when I got close to the finish line.

2012-08-07 8:19 AM

Expert
Alexandria, MN
Passing people in the finishing chute is all about getting the best finish line photos.  Nothing sucks more than working hard all race and having your finish line pictures all featuring someone else a few steps ahead of you...
2012-08-07 8:19 AM

Expert
South Windsor CT

Its not rude. Its a race, tell her to htfu.Surprised   Ive sprinted a number of times to set myself up for a pr.  As long as your not pushing, tripping, screaming, it is definitely ok.

2012-08-07 8:24 AM

Expert
C-bus
When I race, I usually have a time goal in mind.  I'm not out to beat all the people in front of me with xxx yards to go.  I want to see how fast I can go and if I can really beat that time that's in my head.  If people happen to be between me and my goal, too bad for them.  It has nothing to do with them and everything to do with my time goals. 
2012-08-07 8:28 AM

Veteran
Louisville
I'm an interval runner and that's just the way I do it. I've gotten looks from people (though it is rare) when I pass them while I'm running when they previously passed me while I was walking. It's my race that I paid for and I have the right to do it however I want. You didn't do anything wrong. You ran your race and that's that Smile
2012-08-07 8:29 AM

SE MI

My wife did a Danskin event this past weekend. I was at the finish chute waiting for her. Danskin has volunteers in the chute cheering people on and high fiving them before the finish line, some dressed in funky clown suits and stuff.

Well, while one woman was being high fived, congratulated and pretty much surrounded by volunteers, some other woman in the same age group bolted around the festivities to finish ahead of that woman. The look of bewilderment on the trapped woman's face was priceless, wish I would have had the camera on for that shot.

I guess she got "volunteered"

In response to your concern, you're fine. She needs to get over it. It's a race.

Edited by sccaits5 2012-08-07 8:44 AM

2012-08-07 8:30 AM

Veteran
East Greenbush

You did the Nelson "Ha Ha" laugh as you passed her didn't you?

2012-08-07 8:31 AM

Master
Bolivia, NC
At a race last year I immediately cramped up at the end of the swim.  I nursed it on the bike but I couldn't shake it.  Then on the run it finally loosened up.  I passed many people in the last mile of the run and I was really flying (For me).  I'm sure people thought that I had saved it up for a good finish, but that wasn't the case.  One guy in my age group was so surprised that I passed him near the finish line that he forgot to turn his race number around and received a two minute penalty.  I didn't feel bad, it wasn't my fault.
2012-08-07 8:36 AM

I would sprint at the finish whether there was anyone to pass or not. I would sprint if I was the last person over the line (assuming I had the energy). If I happen to pass someone in that distance, big deal.  I guess if we were the last two I'd try to cross with them rather than pass them.

2012-08-07 8:51 AM

Master
Grand Prairie

I relaized a few things:

- If there is a number on me or my bike, it is a race!

- If it is a reace I am there to do my very best

- Towards the end of any race I will pick someone ahead and make it my target to beat them, if I do early I pick the next "victim"

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Racing etiquette for sprinting/passing at end of race Rss Feed  

of 4