General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I going to be dead last Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-07 3:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Am I going to be dead last

I am doing my first Olympic tri in 4 weeks. I did one sprint about 2 years ago. The training has been going well and I am not concerned about finishing it. I feel like I am in good shape for it. I have done road races and marathons for years and I am not the fastest in the world but I hold my own and do what is most important which is have a good time and enjoy the race with my friends!

I can't help but look at the results from it from last year and wonder is EVERYONE pretty good in the olympic tris???? There was not a slow time! I am ok with being slow and just having a good time and finishing but I am concerned I am going to be dead last.... 

Any advice?

2012-08-07 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4351797

Subject: RE: Am I going to be dead last
dp

Edited by jkintn 2012-08-07 4:09 PM
2012-08-07 4:19 PM

User image

I share this fear with you.   I am doing my first sprint in 4 weeks and was blown away when I saw last years results. No ONE was slow.  My rationale is that I am in it for the experience and fun.  It will set the stage for how I should pace myself in the future.  Then I ask myself is dead last sooooo bad (someone has to be last).  

Good luck and have a blast!

2012-08-07 4:30 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Georgia
No you won't be last. Someone in your group will have plantar fasciitis and walk the run.Really with your training and history, You really should be in the mix.

Edited by mxr746 2012-08-07 4:31 PM
2012-08-07 4:33 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Courage, accomplishment, and inspiration are as relevant (and sometimes more so) at the back of the pack as the front.   Run your race, do your best, smile a lot, and have fun.  Nobody can expect any more from you.
2012-08-07 4:38 PM

User image

Just as there is someone who comes in first there is someone that has to come in last. Even if you come in last. I am a BOP person myself. I race to enjoy myself/life. The only thing I worry about is if I am having fun and doing the best that I can. There is nothing wronge with being last. It has to be someone.

2012-08-07 5:30 PM

User image

Expert
Cincinnati

In my experience, a lot of pretty experienced/fast people come out to do Olys, moreso than other races, at least around here. I can finish somewhere in the middle of a sprint but I'm BOP in an Oly.

That said....if you're DFL, is it a big deal? True story: I was cheering on some of my friends doing a mini tri (their first ever!) this past weekend. I was so distracted that I missed the start of the Oly an hour later. (I also thought someone would get on the mike and announce it. They didn't!) They actually let me start, but I started 30 minutes behind everyone. I just got over the flu and have been running for only a month following an injury and a three month hiatus. I KNEW I wouldn't be fast and did it purely for training purposes, and no way was I catching up to anyone who had a 30 minute head start.

So, I finished the race all by myself, with nobody around except a few race volunteers, my friend who stuck around to cheer for me, and 2 or 3 people who were still there after finishing their race. I actually wasn't DFL; I was 67/71, but of course I was behind everyone for the whole race. And the world didn't end, and I wasn't totally miserable...and I'm actually glad I did the race, glitches and all, because it definitely made me a stronger triathlete.

The only thing that really sucked is that at the water stop at mile 4/5 (that part of the course was out and back) they had dumped all the water out because they thought they were done. It was 85 degrees and super ridiculously high humidity. THAT sucked!!

2012-08-07 5:53 PM

User image

I have totally been in your place. For my first Olympic I started knowing I actually could be the last one to finish. Just like you I had looked up the previous years finishing times and realized they were speedy! It was a little depressing. I was the second to last person on the bike course which I know because I heard the volunteers saying is that it - no there is one more out there.

In the end even though I was one of the last people to finish the Olympic course - there were still plenty of people out there from the sprint which started after us so I didn't feel last :-)
2012-08-07 5:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Looking at your speeds in your training logs, you won't be last.  Especially 4 weeks out and being able to continue your fitness regimen, you'll be fine.

Don't stress on being last or first or in the middle for that matter. If you even consider being last it certainly means your not competing for a podium finish, so simply enjoy the day. Compete with yourself, challenge yourself. Set your mark, beat your last best time or just go to be part of a great event with like minded people. Take pleasure in the challenge.  

User image

Phoenix AZ

Any advice?

Yes, don't sweat it. You probably won't be dead last. But even if you are, finishing an OLY dead last > not even trying or finishing an OLY.

2012-08-07 6:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fulton
If your speeds are anything like what you did Saturday Aug 4, you won't be last.  I did a VERY competitive Oly for my first tri ever, had paces slower than yours, and was certainly not last.  There is also the beauty of the wave start (if there is one).  Unless you are in the last wave, you'll be getting a head start on a group of people, which will help!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Am I going to be dead last Rss Feed