General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Loss vs Fitness Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-07 6:27 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Weight Loss vs Fitness

I'm curious if anyone has any thoughts/information on the impacts of weight to performance compared to fitness.

Let me explain.  In years past, I tried to work on fitness for my IM's.  Eating tons to nurish my training schedule but not dropping any weight. Therefore, I was racing at a slightly overweight 235 (according to the bodyfat scale).

This year, I'm have been restricting my calories this last month of training to lose weight.  I believe it's leaving me a bit tired and less energetic to maximize my training.

SO FAR, my pace and bike speed is about constant with years past.  But I'm wondering if 25 lbs from now, will I be faster due to the loss of weight (even with reduced fitness) or should I scrap the losing weight idea and train harder to improve fitness?

I want to believe at 25lbs lighter (10% lighter), even with less fitness than years past, I should be able to get around the course faster.

2012-08-07 6:44 PM
in reply to: #4352078

Subject: RE: Weight Loss vs Fitness
My thoughts are that even though you don't feel as energetic you'll actually race better being 10% lighter especially since you have a baseline of overall fitness built over the years.  Some may caution against the rapid weight loss.
2012-08-07 11:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington

I think losing weight has a bigger impact on running speed than biking speed. With 25 lbs less weight to carry, you should be able to run noticeably faster at the same fitness level.

Weight on the bike isn't going to impact you as much since most of your energy goes into fighting the wind.

2012-08-09 7:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
If your IM involves a hilly bike course you will benefit from the weight loss. I normally have raced at around 150 lbs. This year I cleaned up the diet some and have been racing at 140 lbs. I can tell the difference on the hills especially with less weight. 25lbs less you should see a nice improvement on the run also.
2012-08-09 8:11 AM

Master
Northern IL
Yes, you can be faster. But it depends on how much fitness you lose.
2012-08-09 9:32 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
I have found that the times I was the fastest over the last five years have been the times when my weight was lowest.  Since the beginning of the year, my speed has improved through the loss of 25 pounds, even though I am not training as hard as I have in the past.

2012-08-09 11:54 AM
in reply to: #4354710

User image

Extreme Veteran
Be strict about your nutrition, so that you don't catabolise muscle while dropping so quickly.  As long as you are, there is no reason you can't maintain your current level of fitness AND benefit from the lower weight. 

I lost 50 lbs, though over 6 months, but have seen significant fitness increases.  My weight loss was slower than yours would be, so I could be less strict, though there is no reason you can't maintain or improve fitness AND lose weight.

That being said, 25 lbs seems like a lot of weight to lose in a month.  I'd keep it up for no more than 3 weeks, and then your last week or so out, don't run at a deficit, so that you'll be properly nourished for your event.
2012-08-09 1:14 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
IMO you can lose weight and not lose fitness.  Infact, if you do it right, you can actually gain some fitness/speed.  You'll benefit from being lighter/leaner and you should only lose minimal muscle.  I've lost 50+lbs over the last 4 years.  There were times during extreme calorie deprovation that I lost lots of weight, but my power numbers on the bike didn't go anywhere.  My run times improved though as did my avg speeds on bike rides.  I would lose about 2lbs per week during this time, so about 7000 cals defecite.  I did find though, if I keep it around a 3500/wk deficite and "clean up" my diet eating more fruits and vege's and whole grains, I could actually make progress with power numbers and still lose some weight and improve run times.  I'm focussing more on this now as I get leaner.  I'm down to a last stubborn 15ish lbs to be close to an optimal weight/body comp.  Cleaning up the diet seems work the best at this point.  It's staying on the band wagon and not cheating on the diet that is proving difficult for me.  But I have no problems making fitness gains when I eat cleaner, and it's harder to eat a ton of calories as a cleaner diet leaves you feeling fuller IMO.
2012-08-09 2:18 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

I'm focusing on getting my weight down going into next year with the hopes that there will be some performance benefit.  I'd like to weigh no more than my previous low of several seasons back when I raced with an injury, and with any luck, maybe five lbs. lighter than that.  I'm not sure if I can reasonably push my weight much lower than that.  I would hope to do this and also gain some fitness at the same time.

My best HIM (I use my same-course HIM times as a gauge of fitness) was at a weight about 3 lbs. higher than my lowest race weight.  I had better training for that race, so I'd like to train comparably for the next one, and perhaps a bit more intelligently, and see if that combined with lighter weight pays any dividends.  My biggest gains are to be had on the run, and lighter weight should theoretically be of some benefit there.

2012-08-12 9:28 PM

Veteran
How tall are you?I find it hard to believe there is any circumstance that you would not become faster overall @ <200lbs than you are @235.How much time do you have to lose weight and then adjust to it?For comparison, I was a "slightly overweight" 6'4" 235 and now race at 178-183.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Weight Loss vs Fitness Rss Feed