General Discussion Triathlon Talk » N.Y. Ironman Triathlon May Cancel Hudson Swim Due To Sewage Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2012-08-09 11:19 AM

Subject: N.Y. Ironman Triathlon May Cancel Hudson Swim Due To Sewage

Just saw this article on Bloomberg.  http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-08-09/new-york-ironman-triathlon-may-cancel-hudson-swim-due-to-sewage.html

I still can't understand why anybody thinks swimming in/around the Hudson and NYC is a good idea.  The water is always dirty.  And there's been a number of these sewage issues before, and I'm sure this latest one won't be the last.  Yick!

2012-08-09 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4355046

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach
Subject: RE: N.Y. Ironman Triathlon May Cancel Hudson Swim Due To Sewage
All water is dirty. It doesn't hurt anyone. I've been sick from swimming in gross water. You get over it.
2012-08-09 11:27 AM

this happened last year at the oly didnt it?  they didnt cancel it then.

http://triessential.com/blog/2011/7/25/the-nyc-triathlon-and-the-sewage-spill-athlete-safety-is-our.html

2012-08-09 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Just South of Disorder

I am a Mechanical Engineer in a Sewerage Treatment plant in Northern New Jersey and I have been keeping an eye on this all morning. Very little details are being released. There are at least 15 members of my tri club who are competing in the NYC IM this Saturday.

As an engineer for over 20+ years in this type of business what I don't understand is why they are forced to discharge sewerage of that amount into the Hudson. Now they do say the the sewerage is cloranated which means it is pretty much fully treated. However I don't know why they can't do bypass piping while they repair the problem. That is standard procedure in this business. Pipe lines need to be address all the time. We don't just say. Hey lets pump it into the river! We set up a very large bypass piping and pumping operation.

They also say they are planning on a "Controlled release" WHich i also understand but if their only option ( and since i don't have the detail i don't know what options they have) is to dump the sewerage into the Hudson why don't they wait until Sunday and not do it 24 to 48 hours before 3000+ atheletes plan on swimming in it?

The potential law suit from people and the IM corp could be outrageous if this is not handled correctly.

But most importantly ALL THE FACTS need to be released prior to the race. If anyone trys to cover anything up it will be a nightmare.

Edited by Mister Mike 2012-08-09 11:35 AM
2012-08-09 11:42 AM

User image

Elite
Holy S#!t !!!!!   literallyFoot in mouth
2012-08-09 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4355098

User image

Elite
Mister Mike - 2012-08-09 12:34 PM

I am a Mechanical Engineer in a Sewerage Treatment plant in Northern New Jersey and I have been keeping an eye on this all morning. Very little details are being released. There are at least 15 members of my tri club who are competing in the NYC IM this Saturday.

As an engineer for over 20+ years in this type of business what I don't understand is why they are forced to discharge sewerage of that amount into the Hudson. Now they do say the the sewerage is cloranated which means it is pretty much fully treated. However I don't know why they can't do bypass piping while they repair the problem. That is standard procedure in this business. Pipe lines need to be address all the time. We don't just say. Hey lets pump it into the river! We set up a very large bypass piping and pumping operation.

They also say they are planning on a "Controlled release" WHich i also understand but if their only option ( and since i don't have the detail i don't know what options they have) is to dump the sewerage into the Hudson why don't they wait until Sunday and not do it 24 to 48 hours before 3000+ atheletes plan on swimming in it?

The potential law suit from people and the IM corp could be outrageous if this is not handled correctly.

But most importantly ALL THE FACTS need to be released prior to the race. If anyone trys to cover anything up it will be a nightmare.

are you off today from work?  sounds to me you are the one for the job to clean up this mess!

2012-08-09 11:44 AM
in reply to: #4355118

User image

Expert

FELTGood - 2012-08-09 12:42 PM Holy S#!t !!!!!   literallyFoot in mouth

The subject is not funny, but your comment made me smile..lol

2012-08-09 11:45 AM
in reply to: #4355064

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois

Tom Demerly. - 2012-08-09 11:25 AM All water is dirty. It doesn't hurt anyone. I've been sick from swimming in gross water. You get over it.

Are you kidding? This is so wrong I don't know where to start!

2012-08-09 11:50 AM
in reply to: #4355128

User image

Elite
KateTri1 - 2012-08-09 12:44 PM

FELTGood - 2012-08-09 12:42 PM Holy S#!t !!!!!   literallyFoot in mouth

The subject is not funny, but your comment made me smile..lol

I kind of said it in a nervous way...I have a friend competing and I live in the area and almost signed up for it.....though I am not directly effected I am sensitive to the problem and the potentially disappointed athletes...hope it works out

2012-08-09 11:52 AM
in reply to: #4355098

Extreme Veteran
NE Ohio
Mister Mike - 2012-08-09 12:34 PM

maybe i'm missing something, but according to this article, which is dated 7/25, it looks like the fire/spill started on June 22nd. Obviously the water is still impacted to some extent, but it negates the issue of them doing this right before the race...as it already happened..unless i'm missing something like i sa

- yes, my bad...clicked on the wrong link above

Edited by Bnclev 2012-08-09 11:54 AM
2012-08-09 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson
Why anybody would spend that kind of $ for a tri in NY is beyond me anyway. Premium money to swim in somebody's sh*t. Great idea. Have fun you guys.

2012-08-09 11:58 AM

User image

Austin, North Carolina
LarchmontTri - 2012-08-09 12:19 PM

I still can't understand why anybody thinks swimming in/around the Hudson and NYC is a good idea.  The water is always dirty.  And there's been a number of these sewage issues before, and I'm sure this latest one won't be the last.  Yick!

This is based on...? The water in the Hudson is the cleanest it's been in decades...and perfectly safe to swim in per Federal, State, and Local health entities. As for the sewage issues - it's happened twice in a period of several years. Run off is different, and while worse local to the Hudson due to the sheer number of people, it happens EVERYWHERE. Now, combine that with the fact that it 'flushes' (pun intended) twice daily...

...and I'd much rather swim in the Hudson than a pond/lake with a history of bacteria levels deemed unsafe for humans by those same Federal, State, and Local health entities.

2012-08-09 12:00 PM
in reply to: #4355158

mroger82 - 2012-08-09 12:56 PM Why anybody would spend that kind of $ for a tri in NY is beyond me anyway. Premium money to swim in somebody's sh*t. Great idea. Have fun you guys.

It's NY's special way of rolling out the welcome mat to everyone...

2012-08-09 12:05 PM

I feel so bad for all of the athletes who registered.  Especially those who are traveling.  Having lived in the area for my whole life I regularly am aware of the various problems with the Hudson (dead bodies are often reported).  I don't see how anyone in their right mind would do the swim, even if they give the all clear.  Wait, participants aren't in their "right mind" anyway are they? 

Hopefully the weather is good, no one dies or gets seriously sick and this becomes a regular event on the IM circuit.   

2012-08-09 12:12 PM
in reply to: #4355164

JASpencer - 2012-08-09 12:58 PM
LarchmontTri - 2012-08-09 12:19 PM

This is based on...? The water in the Hudson is the cleanest it's been in decades...and perfectly safe to swim in per Federal, State, and Local health entities. As for the sewage issues - it's happened twice in a period of several years. Run off is different, and while worse local to the Hudson due to the sheer number of people, it happens EVERYWHERE. Now, combine that with the fact that it 'flushes' (pun intended) twice daily...

...and I'd much rather swim in the Hudson than a pond/lake with a history of bacteria levels deemed unsafe for humans by those same Federal, State, and Local health entities.

Parts of the Hudson are cleaner, sure, but the fact that the swim leg of this race may be canceled because of sewage discharge speaks for itself.  But to each their own.

2012-08-09 12:13 PM

User image

Elite

mroger82 - 2012-08-09 12:56 PM Why anybody would spend that kind of $ for a tri in NY is beyond me anyway. Premium money to swim in somebody's sh*t. Great idea. Have fun you guys.

your right this never happens in the springfield/branson area nor the mississippi river

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_2768d65c-f452-11e0-8342-001cc4c002e0.html

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2012/06/22/mississippi-river-sewage-leak-stopped/

2012-08-09 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
They should just have the swim...Like Tom D said, all water is dirty and the athletes just have to be more careful with ingesting water.  I know if paid all that money and spent all that time training, I would put a nose clip on and embrace the sewage.  I think this world needs to HTFU.  People in certain taboo cultures eat each others poop and they are fine...How bad could swimming in it be?
2012-08-09 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4355204

User image

Austin, North Carolina
LarchmontTri - 2012-08-09 1:12 PM

Parts of the Hudson are cleaner, sure, but the fact that the swim leg of this race may be canceled because of sewage discharge speaks for itself.  But to each their own.

Actually, I was referring to the Hudson in general...measurements are taken all along it, several of which are located in and around the swim course for this race and Manhattan. So, no, not parts, the Hudson itself.

I'm sorry, as I'm sure I'm coming across as rude/mean, it's just frustrating when people spread inaccurate information regarding a local body of water that is perfectly good for swim races and triathlons.

The sewage issue is something totally different than 'the water quality of the Hudson isn't up to par for humans' which you seemed to imply in your initial post. It's something that happened and it will be dealt with. Panama City, FL (IMFL) is VERY susceptible to Red Tide...it's a bacteria (i think?), fish die, wash up on shore, it's gross and you don't swim in it - until the water tests as acceptable for humans once again.

Also - I peed in the gulf once. Probably shouldn't swim there.

2012-08-09 12:34 PM
in reply to: #4355244

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ

zaugfear - 2012-08-09 11:27 AM They should just have the swim...Like Tom D said, all water is dirty and the athletes just have to be more careful with ingesting water.  I know if paid all that money and spent all that time training, I would put a nose clip on and embrace the sewage.  I think this world needs to HTFU.  People in certain taboo cultures eat each others poop and they are fine...How bad could swimming in it be?

With or without cups?

2012-08-09 12:48 PM
in reply to: #4355257

JASpencer - 2012-08-09 1:33 PM
LarchmontTri - 2012-08-09 1:12 PM

Actually, I was referring to the Hudson in general...measurements are taken all along it, several of which are located in and around the swim course for this race and Manhattan. So, no, not parts, the Hudson itself.

I'm sorry, as I'm sure I'm coming across as rude/mean, it's just frustrating when people spread inaccurate information regarding a local body of water that is perfectly good for swim races and triathlons.

The sewage issue is something totally different than 'the water quality of the Hudson isn't up to par for humans' which you seemed to imply in your initial post. It's something that happened and it will be dealt with. Panama City, FL (IMFL) is VERY susceptible to Red Tide...it's a bacteria (i think?), fish die, wash up on shore, it's gross and you don't swim in it - until the water tests as acceptable for humans once again.

Also - I peed in the gulf once. Probably shouldn't swim there.

I wasn't spreading "inaccurate information"...I saw the article in a general, widely circulated publication.  Perhaps you should call the original author...I think his name and email are at the bottom of the article.  It sounds as if your issue is really with him.  

And more to the point, I was expressing my opinion that I think swimming in the Hudson in/around NYC is gross, especially in an area where there has been multiple sewage discharges in recent memory.

If you think the water is fine, then then go for it.  I choose not to.

2012-08-09 12:49 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado

mroger82 - 2012-08-09 10:56 AM Why anybody would spend that kind of $ for a tri in NY is beyond me anyway. Premium money to swim in somebody's sh*t. Great idea. Have fun you guys.

Roger,

What is the cost of the NYTri vs. IMCDA?

2012-08-09 12:57 PM

User image

Expert

Holy Crap! (no pun intended)

Were I ready for a IM, I'd do it in a heartbeat.. NYC?

You only live once..

It sounds like a fantastic, painful, party.

BTW, I regularly swim at my YMCA, and I don't even try to think about what's been laid out in that water every day, with all the kids that attend there..

2012-08-09 1:02 PM
in reply to: #4355306

User image

Austin, North Carolina

"I still can't understand why anybody thinks swimming in/around the Hudson and NYC is a good idea.  The water is always dirty.  And there's been a number of these sewage issues before, and I'm sure this latest one won't be the last.  Yick!"

There are 4 statements there and only 1 is fact, and at that overly dramatized.

You are completely entitled to your opinion that the Hudson is gross and you don't want to swim in it. Perfectly fine. Just don't be one of those people that says "eww it's gross" just because. I mean...have you even swam in it?

2012-08-09 1:05 PM
in reply to: #4355311

User image

Veteran
Springfield/Branson

Haven't been to NY in years, but I'm sure food, lodging, and entertainment for my family was much cheaper in CdA than NY. 

The last thing the RD wants, I'm sure, is a bunch of sick athletes after, or during the race. Nobody will sign up for next year. It is a cool idea to race in NY, but the logistics of putting on a race there coupled with the costs just aren't worth it to me. Add to it the water quality issue and the some of the bike course concerns, I will do another IM elsewhere. To each his own.

2012-08-09 1:08 PM
in reply to: #4355334

User image

Pro
Keller, Texas
JASpencer - 2012-08-09 1:02 PM

"I still can't understand why anybody thinks swimming in/around the Hudson and NYC is a good idea.  The water is always dirty.  And there's been a number of these sewage issues before, and I'm sure this latest one won't be the last.  Yick!"

There are 4 statements there and only 1 is fact, and at that overly dramatized.

You are completely entitled to your opinion that the Hudson is gross and you don't want to swim in it. Perfectly fine. Just don't be one of those people that says "eww it's gross" just because. I mean...have you even swam in it?

Like people who say that Sushi is gross but when you ask them if they have ever tried it they say "no"

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » N.Y. Ironman Triathlon May Cancel Hudson Swim Due To Sewage Rss Feed  

of 3