General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon Bike Vs. Road Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-10 11:15 PM

Subject: Triathlon Bike Vs. Road Bike

Hello,

My name is Keith and I am starting a training regime for me first triathlon sometime next spring (2013).

My question is should I buy a Road Bike or a triathlon bike for my training and races? I went to a local bike shop and the guy said I should just get a road bike but after reading about the aerodynamics I think the tri-bike would be better. If I buy the tri-bike will I still be able to train on it consistently?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

2012-08-10 11:34 PM
in reply to: #4358171

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
Subject: RE: Triathlon Bike Vs. Road Bike

I know many people who ride tri bikes exclusively and do just fine. I have both, and find I use the road bike FAR more than the tri bike.

My personal opinion on "which bike to buy" is that it should be the one that will get you to ride more.

2012-08-10 11:43 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii

here's how it is...

I'd say a tri bike IS the best choice IF you are dedicated to triathlons.

Yes you can train and race on this bike no problems. Your limitations may be if want to ride in pace lines, they tend not to like tri bikes...but I don't like riding pace lines, and a tri bike suits me perfectly (I also have a road bike though). Also a tri bike is not as comfortable as a road bike, it's meant for racing in the aero position...it will be the faster one.

But since this is prior to your first tri, you have no idea how it will go for you, most likely you will get the tri bug and love it...

The less risky choice is the Road bike. No matter what happens, the road bike will be the most logical decision at this point. The road bike is the most versatile and will work for any race or training program, also more acceptable for pace lines. you may later upgrade or add the Tri bike to your collection.

Certainly, the more ballsy and committed choice is the TRI bike. you will be stoked and motivated for your races.

2012-08-11 2:02 AM

User image

Definitely go for the road bike.  One of the glories of triathlon is being out on your bike and you don't want to spend the whole time tucked up in the aero position.  Brakes on tri bikes tend to be for show and as your new to the sport I think it's also a critical safety issue that you get a bike where you are more aware of your surroundings, have decent brakes and much easier to handle.

2012-08-11 4:29 AM
in reply to: #4358214

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Dan-L - 2012-08-11 3:02 AM

Brakes on tri bikes tend to be for show and as your new to the sport I think it's also a critical safety issue that you get a bike where you are more aware of your surroundings, have decent brakes and much easier to handle.

How good of a bike rider are you.  If you want to ride in groups, local clubs etc, where I live, they won't allow tri bike. Tri bikes to me are much harder to ride, like said above, the brakes are out of position if you need to use them.  Now I love my tri bike but it is only good for long fairly straight distances where there is little stopping.

I would suggest going to the bike shop and riding both.

2012-08-11 5:03 AM
in reply to: #4358188

User image

Extreme Veteran
metafizx - 2012-08-10 10:43 PM

here's how it is...

I'd say a tri bike IS the best choice IF you are dedicated to triathlons.

Yes you can train and race on this bike no problems. Your limitations may be if want to ride in pace lines, they tend not to like tri bikes...but I don't like riding pace lines, and a tri bike suits me perfectly (I also have a road bike though). Also a tri bike is not as comfortable as a road bike, it's meant for racing in the aero position...it will be the faster one.

But since this is prior to your first tri, you have no idea how it will go for you, most likely you will get the tri bug and love it...

The less risky choice is the Road bike. No matter what happens, the road bike will be the most logical decision at this point. The road bike is the most versatile and will work for any race or training program, also more acceptable for pace lines. you may later upgrade or add the Tri bike to your collection.

Certainly, the more ballsy and committed choice is the TRI bike. you will be stoked and motivated for your races.

X2 ^^^   Though, I remember fellow tri club members saying how "uncomfortable" a tri bike was and I should get a roadie, well that just isn't true for me, I'm most comfortable in aero, was in aero on roadie all the time anyway but when I got my tri bike, wow, what a whole lot of fun it turned into. My bike just wants to go, go, go, love it and I only train with other triathletes so pace line is not an issue for me...it could be for you though, you just have to think about what you want out of your training and racing.

Patsy

2012-08-11 8:16 AM

User image

I'm in me second season of triathlon.  did the first on a 79 steel road bike that was free.  I hemmed and hawed and poured over all the threads here about road vs tri bike and went back and forth and back and forth.  I ended up with a Tri Bike as I found a sweet deal on a 2011.  

I train alone a lot. 98% of the time.  I love the tri bike and am getting more comfortable on it.  Its a lot of fun. plus it looks cool too.

That being said I stil ride my road bike a lot for "bonus miles" riding to the pool, the grocery, the coffee shop or anywhere I want to go that is not training specific.  big advantage to the road bike there.  

If I would have had no bike at all to race on, I would have definitely gone with the road bike.  

2012-08-11 8:45 AM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Tom has a good video explaining this often discussed topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWrG7Nvptrg

A tri bike is only good if you are dedicated to tri's and will not participate in group rides (although some groups do allow tri bikes as long as you're not riding in aero) or any organized rides (charity rides or centuries, those pretty much always exclude aero bars). Also, the reason why a tri bike can make you faster is the position the rider can be put in, the bike itself doesn't makes much of a difference (or rather, the difference the bike makes is very small in the overall equation).

A road bike on the other hand is much more versatile, allowing you to use it pretty much for every type of riding on the road. They also cost less than a tri bike (simply more of them sold, so in general you get better components for the same $ spent).

A road bike is kind of like having a family sedan, good versatility, could be fast, could be fun, etc. A tri bike is like a 2-seater sports car, could be very fast and lots of fun, but for most people just too restrictive to use as an everyday car.
2012-08-11 9:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I bought a tri bike instead of road bike and have been very happy with the decision.  I ride alone almost 100% of the time.

If I rode with a group a lot, I would definitely want a road bike, as it's not very comfortable for me to ride the horns for the whole ride.  Getting down on the bars is more comfy for me.

For me, since I only have 1 "road-oriented" bike, I am glad to have the tri bike.  That said, I may buy a road bike sometime over the next couple years...

2012-08-11 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran

One more vote for the road bike as a first bike. 

It simply has more uses that TT bike. It has better handling for new user. I am not sure if you have any experience with road bikes, but what if you will not like the triathlon? 

No problem to race on road bike, I have seen people racing on mountain bikes. 

I have both, but my first one was the road bike. 

2012-08-11 9:34 AM

User image

New user
US
I am leaning towards a road bike for my first.

2012-08-11 10:25 AM

Veteran

Vote: Road Bike 1st.

Ride in groups to get stronger and develope good handling skills. TT Bikes are meant to be riden in the aero position. If you are out of the aero position on a TT bike and on the horns it'll throw your (fitted) hip angle off, you will work harder to hold race pace, it won't be as comfortable, and your training ride wont be as effective as it should be.

Last year most of my training rides were on a TT bike and due to group ride rules and traffic conditions on solo ride routes, I rarely was in the aero position and didn't see much progress. This year I purchased a used road bike off CL and have noticed great improvement in my speed and stamina (plus, Im doping...j/k). When I get back on my TT for races I notice the improvement.

You want the right tool for the job. Start off with a road bike and get a TT bike later down the road, but don't get rid of your road bike.

Good Luck

2012-08-11 2:25 PM

User image

Expert
South Windsor CT

Road bike all the way..  I actually bought a tri bike and sold it the following month.  Seemed no one really cares about triathletes, I used to get snickered at all the time. Plus there are a tons of hills and twisting roads up here in the northeast, Makes it real difficult to stay aero and actually enjoy the ride.

But,  all and all ,its a personal choice, and you should buy whatever you are comfortable on.

Edited by Diesel 2012-08-11 2:28 PM
2012-08-12 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Littleton, CO
I went with a road bike for my first and just got a fit and added some clip on aero bars I am extremly happy with it. I do not deserve a TRI bike yet haha
2012-08-12 10:43 AM

User image

I got a road bike first and went to tri bike less than six months later, so wish I had just gone tri in the first place instead of listening to everyone say roadie first.  I find aero far more comfortable and the only group rides I do are with my tri club where we do not pace line and at  least two thirds of participants are on tri bikes.  So, it may depends on your local tri culture, do you have regular tri specific group rides available?  Are tri bikes common on local bike routes?  They are where I live, s snickering is a non issue.  Local cycling specific clubs don't welcome tri bikes, but that isn't who I ride with anyway.  I ride with the same people I run and swim with and on my tri bike I am both more comfortable and better able to keep up with everyone else in aero, especially flying down hill.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon Bike Vs. Road Bike Rss Feed