General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting started Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-20 6:41 PM

Subject: getting started
Hey everyone! I'm in need of some advice and thought you all might be the perfect place to go. I'm really interested in doing a tri but am feeling intimidated by it all. How do you go about getting started? I can run 3 to 4 miles so that's not a problem for me. My intimidation comes from the bike and swim. I got a road bike at Christmas and have yet to get it out and ride. Horrible, isn't it?! I know how to ride a bike but for some reason I am nervous about getting out there. And the swim....not even sure where to start. I can swim but have zero technique. Any suggestions would be greatly apprecitated. Thanks in advance! Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Sandy

2004-06-20 7:27 PM
in reply to: #32611

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: getting started
Sandy,

I'd take your bike to your local bike shop (LBS) and get the road bike fitted for you. The folks there will show you how to ride with your hands on top of the bike with two fingers over the brakes. I can't really describe it. Then, just start slowly on bike paths or roads without a lot of traffic. You have to just put the miles in to gain confidence; do not ride too fast or out of control. It will come.

With respect to the swim, check out this web site. Also consider purchasing the Total Immersion DVD for help with technique. I think you'll find your swim will improve very rapidly.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.
2004-06-21 7:52 AM

Ashland, Ma
I am also a newbie and I just fitted myself into One of the beginner programs here and made the adjustments as necessary

I have about eight weeks of biking under / behind me and it started out rough....clipless set up with a couple of crashes my first time out...............I highly suggest going to the LBS as suggested above and make sure everything is fitted proper........next if any of the biking aspects are new to you I suggest practicing in a large empty parking lot very early on the weekends or weekday, practice clip in/out turning slow speed stopping, then I moved to a bike path with others and finally on to the road now I am pretty comfortable with the road bike on the road...........remember visibility is very important..........and although it may not look real cool I wear wone of those bright orange safety vest deals..........especially while I am still developing my base and confidence...............(crutches are less cool...lol)

As far as the swim ....I bought the Total Immersion book suggested here and I am following the parctice drills very slowlyand I am using my buddies 20x40 pool so its a bit tedious back and forth but I want some base before I go to a real pool (25 / 50 yds). I also go to a local pond once a week to get a bit of feel for open water........

MY First Tri is a long way off....next June........but I want to get to my first tri with solid confidence in all three aspects plus I am coming ...........not from the couch, but on the couch with a big old comforter, a pillow, a bag of chips, soda, and my butts.........so I got to start slow.............

hope this helps some
2004-06-21 8:02 AM

User image

Rochester, NH
Intimidation on the bike is comon. After getting the bike set up, the best thing to do is get out and ride. There is some technique involved (gearing, pedal strokes, etc.) but learning that is not all that bad--and as you ride more you will become more confident.

Regarding swimming, the Total Immersion DVDs are a good starting point, but masters swim lessons would be better if you have them available. I used TI for a while and made some gains, but it wasn't until I joined a master's swim team and had the coach correcting my stroke that I made huge gains. Of course, I did my first tri swim using almost exclusively breast stroke (SLOW!) but if you can improve your freestyle before hand, all the better.
2014-02-11 7:56 PM
in reply to: Guest

Sandy, I'm not sure if this is an option for you but joining a triathlon club or a cycling group was a big boost to my confidence. As was joining a Masters swimming group. If you have the money a couple of lessons from a good swim coach might whip your stroke into shape. Another thing that helped me greatly was volunteering for a local triathlon before I ever did a race myself. This allowed me to eavesdrop on all the happenings - so that I wouldn't have to deal with all this on my first race. Honestly, volunteering for that race was like a Master Class; I learned a ton just watching all the other athletes prepping, setting up, racing, etc.
2014-02-11 8:39 PM
in reply to: mcstrangelove

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by mcstrangelove
Sandy, I'm not sure if this is an option for you but joining a triathlon club or a cycling group was a big boost to my confidence. As was joining a Masters swimming group. If you have the money a couple of lessons from a good swim coach might whip your stroke into shape. Another thing that helped me greatly was volunteering for a local triathlon before I ever did a race myself. This allowed me to eavesdrop on all the happenings - so that I wouldn't have to deal with all this on my first race. Honestly, volunteering for that race was like a Master Class; I learned a ton just watching all the other athletes prepping, setting up, racing, etc.

x2

Private lessons will be the most beneficial thing you can do at your skill level.

2014-02-11 9:01 PM
in reply to: Dunn Right

For swimming, go check out youtube. You can find a lot of instructional videos out there. If you want to try a book, consider reading Triathlete's Training Bible. Other than that, just get to it, start swimming. It comes slow at first, and it can be very frustrating. Stick with it. I think it took me about three weeks before I could put any kind of consecutive laps together.

Don't worry that you haven't gotten out on your bike yet. It's winter, and unless you're down south and racing sometime soon, no need to panic. Words of caution, don't freak out after one or two rides. Your road bike may feel very strange at first. They don't turn and react the same way as other bikes, it takes a few rides to get used to it and good bike handling skills take a long time to develop.
2014-02-12 8:54 AM
in reply to: Guest

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Originally posted by Aikane

Sandy,

I'd take your bike to your local bike shop (LBS) and get the road bike fitted for you. The folks there will show you how to ride with your hands on top of the bike with two fingers over the brakes. I can't really describe it. Then, just start slowly on bike paths or roads without a lot of traffic. You have to just put the miles in to gain confidence; do not ride too fast or out of control. It will come.

With respect to the swim, check out this web site. Also consider purchasing the Total Immersion DVD for help with technique. I think you'll find your swim will improve very rapidly.

Good luck and enjoy the journey.

Great advice above. Also for the bike, look for group rides in your area maybe posted at your LBS. Get with others. That will give you safety and confidence on the road. Buy a trainer to ride inside "safely" and work on your fitness that way as well. Swimming look for a local masters swim program you could join. Swimming just takes time. Good instruction on the front end will make it go much better. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » getting started Rss Feed