Santa Cruz, California
United States
Finish Line Productions
Total Time = 1h 47m 46s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The was not the race I wanted. I did something a little different in the comments. You can follow along the thoughts that were going through my head during the race.
Event warmup:

Pre-race- surf's not bad, water isn't too cold. Alex looks anxious but I know he can do this swim. Should be a decent swim leg. Not too crowded in our wave.
Swim
  • 16m 39s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim: awesome start. Good job seeding yourself in the group. No one swam over you. Relax and keep the buoys to the right. Relax, reach, relax reach, relax, reach. Beach is just ahead. Good job. 12:24 in the water but you've got a long run to the timing mat in T1. Hate running in bare feet. Good marshaling by the volunteers. Well marked route. Keep going. Ow! Oh shit. Walk, walk walk. Oh hell. Season's over. (one of my left hamstrings popped like a rubber band). Don't freak out. May just be a cramp. Walk it to T1. This is not good.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

T1: your season is over. No, don't think that way. See how the bike goes. Wetsuit off, shoes and helmet on. Walk, don't run, the bike out of T1.
Bike
  • 35m 12s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 21.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike: this is a fast course. Flat. Well marshalled. Left leg is working but man, hurts even here on the bike. This is not good. New water bottle set up is an improvement. Keep drinking. Stay hydrated. Pass, pass, pass. Oh, just got chicked. At least she's a pro. On her second lap probably. Great view of the ocean. Stay left for second loop. Face it, Tim, your season's over. The leg is not good if it still hurts on the bike. Pass , pass, pass. Great views of the ocean. What are you going to do in T2...Quit or walk the run leg?

Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

T2: what are you going to do? Walking is better than hanging around, right? Bike shoes off. Socks and running shoes on. Helmet off, hat on. Grab Gu. Go. Try a slow shuffle. Nope. You're walking this one kiddo.
Run
  • 51m 4s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 16m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Run (walk): this sucks (angry, bitter thoughts for first mile), oh, there goes Alex. He must have had a great swim! go Alex! Wish I hadn't already paid for the big kahuna. What are my options? No more run training. Try aqua jogging up to the day of the race. See if you can get this mostly healed...enough to run 13 miles by September. Back into physical therapy again? Why is running always so difficult for me? I don't want to go through this again. Stop thinking that way. You have a lot going for you. Maybe it's time to focus on the open water swimming which you love. Throw in some cycling. Get back in the gym. Sports doesn't have to be about triathlon. You like other things. Strength training would be good to pick up. Wow, I love the fog. Everything looks so peaceful. Here's Alex again. He's having a good race. Sea lions barking on the beach-that's a happy sound. Damn, my leg is really burning. Walking may not have been a good thing. Oh, those dogs are having fun playing catch. Don't waste time being bitter. Focus on swimming for a spell. You're responsible for your own mental state. You have a lot to be grateful for. Maybe you can set things up so you can read and write more. Focus on success, not failure. Finish line.
Post race
Event comments:

Last updated: 2012-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:39 | 820 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:12 | 12.4 miles | 21.14 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:04 | 03.11 miles | 16m 25s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-08-12 10:51 AM

Veteran
San Mateo, California
Subject: Tri Santa Cruz - Sprint Triathlon

2012-08-12 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4359283

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Subject: RE: Tri Santa Cruz - Sprint Triathlon

So sorry about the hamstring....this REALLY sucks, especially since we're so close to the BK.  When I entered T1, and I saw your bike was already gone, I figured you were having a smokin' fast race. 

All may not be lost as you may wish to consider that the BK also has an aquabike option and a standalone OWS.  Maybe the RD will let you switch....

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Santa Cruz - Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed