General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri in one month - training q's Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-12 1:26 PM

Subject: First tri in one month - training q's

Hi - I'm doing a sprint women's tri in September and have some training q's.

I'm a runner, I run about 6k, 2x/week.  I'm slowly stepping it up about 1/2 mi at a time but I have a time issue.  At my current pace, with a cool-down walk, I'm at 45 min which is perfect.  Over an hour I have scheduling problems (kids, work, etc.).

I've been sneaking in a bike when I can - hard because I live on a mountain unless I want to do brutal trails or climbs.  The other day I did a mock bi - 13 mi bike + 5k run on a bike trail, flat - and it went well.  

Swimming is another issue.  I'm a strong swimmer but I can't do freestyle (I do the breast stroke).  I don't have access to a pool but I can use a lake about 45 min from my house.  I'm starting swims this week, and I'll probably be able to do 1 a week.  I'm trying to find a swim coach to help me possibly re-learn freestyle (I was a lifeguard but somehow I made it without having to do much in terms of freestyle).  If I can, that would be an extra swim session each week.  

So for the next four weeks I'm thinking 2-3 runs a week, 1 bike a week (13+ mi) and 1-2 swims a week.  Does that sound okay for a sprint?  I'm also going to do a trial sprint this week and next, which will count as my swim for the week.  Or should I scrap something and run more/longer?

Thanks!

2012-08-12 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4359413

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Subject: RE: First tri in one month - training q's

I'm not a coach, so the training plan you suggest sounds OK to me. 

I'd suggest riding twice a week at least, and if you don't want to ride down and then back up the hill, consider getting a bike trainer or take the bike down to the valley and ride before/after you do other work/errands there.  Barring that, consider getting a bike trainer.  You can get trainers for about $75 and set it up with your bike.  Think of it as the bicycle version of a treadmill. 

I'd suggest taking some lessons, but don't worry too much about switching strokes before the tri! 

2012-08-12 2:44 PM
in reply to: #4359413

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: First tri in one month - training q's

as for the run, you have the distance down. going longer isn't going to help your speed for this race. you could work on speed intervals instead of going longer IMO.

as for bike, are you doing a short transition run after your ride ?...15 mins or so is a good amount.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First tri in one month - training q's Rss Feed