Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Swim
  • 59h 49m
  • 4224 yards
  • 1h 24m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Wasn't as bad as I envisioned until I got to the end...then it appeared to be lights out. I poked by head out of the water and realized I was near the end but not close enough to grab the barge. I made the mistake of putting my foot down and was immediately sucked into the mud. It was too shallow to tread water but you also couldn't stand. Everyone was trying to paw their way onto the steps. Lucky a volunteer grabbed my arm and pulled me hard onto the steps.From there I started stripping as I ran toward the showers. The wetsuit strippers were on the opposite side of the showers but i needed to get the muck and mud off me so i took my own wetsuit off.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I felt pretty confident with my swim considering how nervous I was going into it
Transition 1
  • 06m 32s
Comments:

It would have been great if the volunteers did more than spectate. I found my own gear bag and found the tent without much direction. I got myself together without an offer from any volunteers to assist...(I remember feeling like a rock star when I did Florida this was very no frills). I wanted to take a sip of a protein drink and asked around for water. One volunteer spoke up and said I could find water on the race course (not helpful). Then I had to ask where they would like me to place my gear bag. Somebody indicated drop it on the pile with the other gear bags (duh I didn't see them). Would have appreciated a little direction and water in the tent??? FInally got out of the tent and started running to where I knew my bike would be. There happened to be a volunteer standing at the end of my row who nodded and said I was in the right row. Wait a minute?? I thought this was Ironman? My first Ironman the bike was waiting for me when i got our of transition. I had to get my own bike and fish it out of the bikes an tangled with mine. Kind of ridiculous for $900 entry fee.

I forgot to bring the lube stuff for my bike pants...by the end of the bike I felt like I was sitting on sandpaper. I also forgot my sunscreen. Probably would have been good to have brought some for my face.
Bike
  • 7h 30m 19s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.92 mile/hr
Comments:

It started out nice enough then the road conditions changed and it started to get hot as hell. The aid stations were set up in weird places and all i really wanted was cold liquid which seemed to only come at tepid temps.
At the end I had to ask a volunteer to rack my bike. Nobody was offering...again wtf

I don't know...just not do this race again. It sucked.
Transition 2
  • 11m 24s
Comments:

There was no running with the bike from anyone. By the time I finished this bike I was completely over "Ironman" and even offered to have the volunteer list my bike on ebay (just kidding) but seriously the bike was brutal and I was more than glad to be done. I honestly didnt think I would be able to get through a marathon even walking. I needed water really bad and of course there was none in transition. They told me to head out to the race course, there would be an aid station soon with water.

I really took my time here because I was just really not in the mood to even go on. I got it together and got my shoes on. Finally a volunteer did come around to ask if i needed anything. I asked for sunscreen. I was informed they ran out. Oh well. Par for the course here.
Run
  • 5h 53m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

This was the most ridiculous run course I have ever seen. I opted to walk the hills because I knew there was no way I was going to finish this race if i didn't. I was not alone. Everything hurt even my skin. To top off our misery there were really no spectators even after I crossed the bridge. In Riverview park us runners were apparently interupting the fiesta. People were hanging out barbequing playing ball riding bikes as full speed on the same path as the runners. Nobody even cared that this was an ironman. We were in their way. Finally to Riverside park and back and forth we run like mice. Up hills, up staircases...just ridiculously stupid. Why would there be a hill at mile 26??? Well why not? This whole race sucked and there was nothing NYC about it except for staying in the host hotel who btw knew very little about the race.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being up since 2:30 am to load the 3a bus to get to the 4a ferry. I didn't know how many people would be on the shuttle and I was afraid to be left behind so I opted for a half hour earlier start.
The race logistics were completely stressful and there was minimal support on the course from spectators and the volunteers were completely clueless. That in combination of a sucky course and hot humid day just extiguished my fire. I was completely over it by the end.

Event comments:

Not worth $900 + dollars ($50 for spectator to go the banquet dinner which seemed essential since the logistics were a nightmare, $50 to get my bike back from transition unless of course I wanted to pick it up after the race, yeah right that would have added another 2 hours to my already ridiculously long day, $900 for the host hotel who knew very little about the race) and an incredibly boring, brutal course make this race a thumbs down. Sorry.

Last updated: 2012-06-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
59:49:00 | 4224 yards | 1h 24m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 71/
Overall: 1995/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Point to point
Start type: Dive Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 06:32
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:30:19 | 112 miles | 14.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 59/
Overall: 1811/
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Course was pretty boring but mostly dangerous. 1 lane of the highway divided into a to and fro lane by orange cones. Big ruts on the road causing bottles to fall everywhere No where to swerve and lots of bad crashes.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 11:24
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:53:00 | 26.2 miles | 13m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 69/
Overall: 1696/
Performance: Bad
Course: Hills and more hills. And stairs..hey why not?
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2012-08-12 4:57 PM

User image

Subject: Ironman U.S. Championship

2012-08-12 6:30 PM
in reply to: #4359580

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Subject: RE: Ironman U.S. Championship
Woah! Sundds like a pretty bad experience! Super fast swim though! I had considered doing this race sometime in the future. But steep price and yes seemed to not have much at all to do with NYC was putting me off. Your report is icing on the cake wont be doing this. Ugh sorry they did such a bad job. But hey! You are now a Multiple Ironman finisher! Awesome!
2012-08-12 8:07 PM

User image

Elite

Whilst I don't expect to enjoy my first IM I expect to look back on it and go Wow that was a superbly organised fun event if only it didn't hurt so much!

I volunteered at Melbourne which was an inaugural event too and it was splendid - volunteers all from tri clubs knew what to do and supported, cheered and helped the athletes.  Spectators lines the marathon run.  No spectators on the cycle course except for volunteers and we cheered hard!

There was some confusion getting bikes back I hear but in the main a very good event and sold out in less than 5 mins for next year (I'm in!)

It's a shame such a great city like NY cannot get behind this event.  Maybe they should move it somewhere that appreciates it like Boulder!

None of that withstanding - awesome job well done for getting the job done!

2012-08-12 8:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Virginia
Guess you're not ponying up the $1200 for 2013's race lol!!!

Congrats on finishing on what many have described as a brutal course with brutal conditions.
2012-08-12 8:45 PM

User image

Elite

congrats on the finish......not sure if you live close to the race but your complaints support what I have been thinking all along....."THIS IS AN IRONMAN and I had not heard anything on the typical media outlets around here about it till the sewage spill"...most of the news outlets always talk about chrity runs and small 5 and 10 ks.....we all knew locally that this race had little to do with NYC

well anyway, this may not have been your first but nice job anyway

2012-08-12 8:59 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Finishing when course, volunteers and weather make it challenging, shows the depth of your strength and determination.

I'm bummed that WTC didn't pull this off better.

2012-08-13 8:42 AM

User image

Elite
N Carolina

Way to go to battle through adversity!!

You are a multiple IRONMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012-08-13 11:55 AM

User image

Thank you for your very candid race report. I was quite curious about this event. I can't believe they increased the price so much from the ridiculously high original price. Anyway, congrats on finishing your race!!!! Good job. 

2012-08-13 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Sorry you had such a bad race experience but thanks for bringing all these issues to light for us. Based on the ridiculous cost alone I wouldnt do this race but it seems to have turned into the nightmare I thought it would be when they first announced it. Regardless, YOU ARE AN IRONMAN! and congrats on that!
2012-08-13 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Congrats on finishing a tough day! Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the volunteers and the party people on the NY run.
2012-08-13 12:54 PM

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise

Congratulations on your Finish. Thank you for your honest race report. The ridiculous price and your report has made my mind up to not do this race.

Nicole

2012-08-13 3:03 PM

first of all, I want to say Congratulations on your finish! i am sorry it wasnt as you expected.I was actually a volunteer on Saturday. I started at a bike station at mile 11 on the bike at 6 am, and we worked our butts off getting water/food to the competitors. we were cheering the whole time as well. I saw nobody that was just spectating.I then worked the finish line from 7-midnight. and while there everyone was working hard doing everything we could for the athletes. I am sorry that the volunteers you encountered were not so good, but there were a lot of people that gave up their free time to be there for the athletes and did an outstanding job!!
2012-08-14 8:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Massapequa, NY
Congratulations to you!  On that note, to each his own.  I had a fantastically brutal experience as well, and most of the logisitics of this race were very transparent.  People have to realize that a bike course on a major highway will not have spectators.  Not sure if you are from the area, but I can tell you that pulling something off like this in  the NYC metro area is extremely difficult.  Like anything done for the first time, there will be things to improve upon, and there are many to be improved upon here.  I actually got the feeling that a vast majority of the volunteers were not triathletes, which is not what i anticipated (this was my first IM) and I think that contributed to the lack of support in the transitions.  Other athletes "get it", and it seemed some didnt really care. That said, i thought the MAJORITY of volunteers were tremendous.  I had people offering to shove sponges in my tri-shorts.   It all just made it harder, but then again it was supposed to be hard.  I hope as time goes by you can draw some postives out of the experience and look back on it as an even grander accomplishment even though some things didnt meet your expectations.    I think people came to NY thinking that everyone would stop and marvel at the Ironmen and Ironwomen.  Being from here, I didnt have that expectation and I think I had a better experience because of it.  Nonetheless, great job on a very tough course!!
2012-08-14 12:10 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Congrats on finishing this tough race!  I'm sorry you did not have a good experience!  However, I have to agree with Dlyon.  The volunteers are volunteers, not paid Ironman employees.  They do their best, but its typically a good idea to not expect too much from the volunteers and consider it a bonus if they're able to assist.  Regardless, you are a multi Ironman and you should be very proud!
2012-08-14 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Sorry you had such a tough experience in NYC, I had the exact opposite.  Tough course though, that is for sure.  Congrats on the finish.
2012-08-14 8:54 PM

User image

Regular
Parker, Colorado
Congrats on the finish and seeing it through even though you didn't enjoy the experience. Hopefully after you put some distance between yourself and the race you'll be able to look back and feel good about gutting it out under adverse circumstances. It's usually the really hard experiences that we ultimately remember most fondly, maybe IM NYC will end up that way for you.

2012-08-15 6:40 PM

User image

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was fresh off the course when I wrote up this report and in hindsight I shouldnt have been so down on the volunteers in the transition area. Afterall if it wasnt for the big man volunteer on the ramp I might still be in the Hudson LOL. Additionally, its not their responsibility to get me to the bike, its mine. If I get a helper then its a bonus. I get it.
I think I was just super cranky from a less than optimal bike (I was hoping for 6-6:30) and I came unprepared ( on fire from chaffing, sunburned should have remembered my sunscreen, and thirsty- should have drank more on the course). Regardless doesn't give me the right to be nasty in my RR about the volunteers in this area no matter what my initial thoughts were. Going forward I learned from this experience and will definitely prepare mentally to be a little more self sufficient.
I see we all suffered in our own way and there were lots of volunteers out there, especially on the run course, who made this day happen for me. I remember coming across the GWB and a volunteer who was so friggen happy to be there clapping and saying "WELCOME TO NY"!! Priceless.
Then there was the lady who had a container at mile 21 with water and she was dumping it over our heads if we wanted. I could have kissed her.
At mile 23 I noticed my shoe was untied and had tears welling up because there was no way in hell I was bending over and I was feeling especially emotional by now. A volunteer with grapes in his hand followed my gaze to my feet and without hesitation said "hold these" handed me the grapes and TIED MY SHOE! Holy crap! Yeah the race wasn't entirely hell because there were these angels who were speckled all through the day. My hat goes off to them. Couldnt have been easy to be so damn enthusiastic for so many hours on end!
Im signed up for Lake Placid next year, so I already knew prior to the race that I wouldn't be back next year and I'm really looking forward to another chance to have that bike split!
Glad we all were a part of this inaugural event...congrats to all of you who raced. We definitely earned the title Ironman on this day! And congrats to Colin...Kona huh?? Very sweet.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman U.S. Championship Rss Feed