Tradewinds
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 22m 8s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M18-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Did 4 weeks of Thursday rides up Tantalus to prepare. 3 laps the first 3 weeks, and 2 laps the week of the race with race gear, one lap at race pace. First week was in the 26 minute range @ 265ish watts. 2nd week was in the 25:20 range @ 275ish watts. 3rd week was in the 24:30 range @ 285 watts. Test run was 22:33, but was also from the 2011 starting line with a moving start.

Didn't do any running on Thursday through Saturday, and rode to Waimanalo on Saturday. Threw in a few hard efforts, but most of the ride was really easy. In hindsight, I think it would be more ideal to do the test ride on a Tuesday, ride moderate on Thursday, and really short on Saturday with an easy spin. I could feel a slight bit of soreness in my legs Sunday morning.

Got my weight down to 157.4. About the same as last year, but about 10 pounds more than I hoped to be.
Event warmup:

Rode up the back of Round Top a few times.
Bike
  • 22m 8s
  • 4.45 miles
  • 12.06 mile/hr
Comments:

There was a car that pulled in front of me right when I started. Not sure why the race starter didn't tell them to hold it up. It didn't affect me off the line, but as we approached the first hairpin, the car had to slow down and I had to hit my brakes a little. Cost me a couple of seconds.

Started out really hard, but I think comparable to how I did the test run. I was way ahead of all my checkpoints, but I wasn't exactly sure because I started my watch a good 20 seconds after I started. I hit the second half and felt like I had a little more juice. Just tried to keep my HR above 180 to make sure I was going hard.

Got to the bridge, got a good shift into the big ring, and just tried to unload. I looked back a couple of times to see if Tim Marr would catch me, but he was nowhere in sight, so I just put my head down hammered to the finish.

Got off my bike and layed in the grass for a minute. I was gassed.
What would you do differently?:

Paced it pretty darn well. In any TT, you're going to have some ups and downs...it's just a matter of trying to smooth them out a bit. Don't go too hard, and when you need a small break, give yourself some rest for short periods but don't let the power completely fall off.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wet roads and a car that made me tap my brakes for a split second. Still weigh too much for this race. I need to take it seriously and get into the 140's.

Last updated: 2011-12-28 12:00 AM
Biking
00:22:08 | 04.45 miles | 12.06 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Avg HR 181
Wind: Little
Course: 4.45 miles climbing 1400 feet. Avg grade 5.7% Start line was moved back one telephone pole from last year (not the one with the yellow caution sign next to it). Not sure why.
Road:  Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-08-13 9:36 PM

User image

Subject: Tantalus Time Trial

2012-08-15 5:09 AM
in reply to: #4361840

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Tantalus Time Trial
I was lost till I found the elevation. We have a steady hill here around .5 mile and 6%... I'm trying to imagine that for 4.5... does not really matter because I don't have close to your FTP. Great job. Sounds really fun!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tantalus Time Trial Rss Feed