Age Group Rank = 3/
Event warmup:

Just warmed up on the flat road for about 20 minutes
Bike
  • 2h 01m 30s
  • 43.2 miles
  • 21.33 mile/hr
Comments:

So they decided to change our race to 3 laps instead of 4, and we would race with the rest of the Cat 4/5's (Master and Golden Master). The reasoning makes sense...to limit it to 2 races instead of 3, so less police support is needed. It just meant that the race would be a little more chaotic as you have to respond (or not respond) to attacks from other age divisions.

Ok...so the first descent is neutral, we get to the first climb, and nothing really happens. It's basically just a hard group ride. I'm in the middle of the pack, just checking out if anything is going on. After the climb, someone in my AG jumps, and I chase after him. A few other guys follow, but we don't get more than 25 meters ahead, so we just resettle. I figure I'm in front, so it's a good opportunity to get a bottle from the feed zone.

Second descent is pretty tame...and we start the 2nd climb together again. Halfway up Burt attacks. He gets some separation, but to my surprise, only one guy tried to bridge up to him. They got about 150m away, then the pack slowly reeled them back in. The pace of the 2nd climb was tough, but nowhere near red lining. After finishing the 2nd lap, I was surprised we were still together. I though for sure there would have been more attacks.

So as we are approaching the 3rd descent, I get up in front to warm up my legs. I'm planning to attack the 3rd climb right at the start when everyone is shifting into their small ring, and I'm going to stay in my big ring to jump. After I hear all the clicks and clunks, I jump. But again...nobody chases...wtf? My goal was to get the top 7-8 guys to chase after me and we form a breakaway group from the main field, but nobody comes. I get about 200m separation, and I figure it's pointless to continue without any help. I get swallowed up, and recover in the pack.

So it's destined to be a sprint finish. With 25 guys still in the pack, I know this is going to get crazy. I move into 3rd wheel as we head into the finishing stretch which starts with a slight downhill, then a 400m finish on a 2-3% uphill. At this point I'm fully recovered, but I'm not sure how far out to go from. We start the incline and BOOM...everyone jumps from behind me from all directions. I jump but there is a slight touch of wheels by the two riders in front of me that causes me to pause for just a split second. Before I know it I'm like in 15th place. I jump again and my legs feel great as I'm making my way up...but it's too late as the winner is still 4-5 bike lengths ahead. I closed hard enough to move back into 3rd (maybe 4th) overall, and 3rd AG.

Arnel, Jon, and Tino were right there with me and swept the Masters podium. Not sure why they gave 3rd in my AG to the guy who was 4 bikes behind me, but I wasn't about to protest it. They put on an awesome race, and I don't think they were expecting a sprint finish...so I don't blame them for not paying for timing chips.
What would you do differently?:

Start sprinting earlier. I overestimated the group's sprinting ability, and I think I was by far the strongest, or at least 2nd strongest to the line. I just had a horrible reaction time. I overthought it and tried to react instead of just following my instinct to go on my own like I did at Olomana. Lesson learned.

In any case, this is an awesome sign of my fitness.
Post race

Last updated: 2012-05-25 12:00 AM
Biking
02:01:30 | 43.2 miles | 21.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/
Overall: 3/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 3 laps of Pineapple Hill
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-08-13 9:36 PM

User image

Subject: Pineapple Hill Road Race

2012-08-15 5:03 AM
in reply to: #4361842

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Pineapple Hill Road Race
That' sawesome. It sounds so fun. you should be fit with all the miles you have put in. Sounds like a great day.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pineapple Hill Road Race Rss Feed