General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New tri event 5/5/2013 on central east coast Kennedy Space Center: Sprint+, Olympic+, HIM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2013-04-11 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4364226

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Subject: RE: New tri event 5/5/2013 on central east coast Kennedy Space Center: Sprint+, Olympic+, HIM
Did anyone see the latest email about the permits still not done?  How crazy is that?  I don't know exactly when other races get theirs done but this seems a bit late to me.  Does anyone know what happens if they don't get the permit?

2013-04-11 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4696233

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: New tri event 5/5/2013 on central east coast Kennedy Space Center: Sprint+, Olympic+, HIM
2013-04-11 5:02 PM
in reply to: #4696233

MOST races I would be believe get the permitting out of the way up front before the announcement is even made about the race.  I sent the RD an email back on the 5th asking what the status of the bike was and have heard nothing back. Like you I am starting to have doubts and concerns as to whether they can really pull this off.  And if they do get the permits, what other items have been forgotten in relation to the race?  Does anyone know if the race doesn’t take place if there is a refund policy?  I know most races say no refund due to inclement weather, but I wonder how it breaks down due to poor planning by the RD?  Maybe I’m getting nervous too soon, but with the poor communication with the RD coupled with the lack of permits…

2013-04-12 4:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
I read the article that golfcoastswimmer posted the link to and the race director says they already have an alternate route planned.  It will still take us through the space center area but not through the "problem" areas.  I love how the US Fish and Wildlife are concerned we might collide with an animal (snake, turtle, etc) and kill it.  I didn't see where anyone was concerned about me colliding with such a creature and ending up wrecking and getting hurt. Smile  As I see it, no RD wants to miss an opportunity to get money.  I'm sure that this race will happen but who knows how well it will come together.  My plan - Plan for the worse and hope it exceeds my expectations!  I am grateful to have a husband that will be spectating.  He will have all I need at the finish for me just in case the race does not. 
2013-04-12 8:48 AM
in reply to: #4697325

I see that he has an alternate course planned, but why hasn't that course been released for us to see?  Does he have permitting for this new course, or will there be the same headache of not being allowed due to traffic flow or some other reason?  It seems to me that the RD is blaming his lack of planning on the Wildlife Assoc.  Whether or not cyclists or any large event should go through the refuge is debatable.  What isn't debatable and concerning to me, is the RD's lack of planning and poor communication leading up to this event.
2013-04-12 10:32 AM
in reply to: #4697600

User image

New user

Melbourne

I'm pretty optimistic in most cases, but this has me worried. I think it's pretty reasonable to expect that the course to be firm and to know at which mile markers the support stations will be placed long before now.

I mean...uh...it's almost taper time and we still don't know much more than we knew in November.

I have friends coming in from across the country to do this race--just to do this race. They chose it over another race here just a couple of weeks after that--same price BTW--but the information void has them freaked out.

Maybe this is a good thing. I can worry about this instead of the things I usually worry about--keeps my mind off of me and the weather. Wink

2013-04-12 12:36 PM

User image

New user

Melbourne

Some unofficial, but still "kinda-official" news from a local training group post on Facebook:

I talked with Mitch Varnes [RD] about 5 days ago. I'm also the person who made the video which is on the website (viewed 10,000x).I've driven the course. Mitch confirmed everything is under control. There were some very minor changes to the bike course butnothing to be concerned about or would affect anyone's plans. 

There were some unexpected difficulties with US Fish & Wildlife Service because this form of use does not fit perfectly into the terms of their charter originating to Teddy Roosevelt. Apparently President Roosevelt hadn't anticipated the sport of triathlon needing to use a wildlife refuge as a venue! However, with the aid of various high level federal government officials a way was found to allow conformance with the purposes of a wildlife refuge.

Do consider Rocket Man sets precedent for future requests on all US Wildlife Refuges across the nation so they must be careful what is permitted with how and why. Nothing like this has ever been done before. But it will be done at KSC for the first time. Copy and pass this on anyone who may be wondering. I'm certainly not an official spokesman but this is my understanding.

Some new news at least, right?

2013-04-15 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4698020

Thanks for doing the leg work and tracking that down.  I realize you're just the messenger, but I would feel ALOT better if the RD would come out and finalize the course.  I guess I'm left wondering what is there left to finalize for RD?  Either they have the OK to race or not.  Anyways, thanks for trying to keep us in the know.  If you hear anything else please forward it on.
2013-04-15 12:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
Did you see the latest email that said the Kennedy Space Center tickets would be good for a year from the race?  That made we wonder if we were really going to get to race.  Why are they just now coming out with that?  Oh well.  Training is just about done.  Next week we taper! 
2013-04-16 8:19 AM

User image

New user

Melbourne

@MightyMo Not a problem--one more bits of news...

[actually, removed for now until I check and find out it's ok to post]

Now the funny part. My buddy claims he hasn't been training and was part of the lobby to stop the race. LOL. Here's what he had to say...

"The event will happen, and all my legal avenues are exhausted. I will have to try and cobble together an 8 hour performance."

Edited by sadcox 2013-04-16 8:22 AM
2013-04-16 8:25 AM
in reply to: #4700973

User image

New user

Melbourne

mkennedy0525 - 2013-04-15 12:50 PM Did you see the latest email that said the Kennedy Space Center tickets would be good for a year from the race?  That made we wonder if we were really going to get to race.  Why are they just now coming out with that?  Oh well.  Training is just about done.  Next week we taper! 

Haha...I'm an eternal optimist. I look at it the other way around...why not make them good for only that day if we weren't going to get to race? I mean, we'd all be there looking for something to do, right?

2013-04-17 7:05 AM
in reply to: #4702294

Lobby to stop the race?  Legal action? WTF?

Those are pretty vague statements. Why is there a lobby to stop the race? It's my understanding that the issue was with the Wildlife Commision, but you're saying there is a group of local triathletes that are against this?

2013-04-17 7:20 AM
in reply to: #4703583

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
MightyMoTri - 2013-04-17 8:05 AM

Those are pretty vague statements. Why is there a lobby to stop the race? It's my understanding that the issue was with the Wildlife Commision, but you're saying there is a group of local triathletes that are against this?

I think that was meant "tongue in cheek".  I don't believe there was any lobby trying to stop it.  It was just humor because he claims to not be trained for the event.  I'm sure the race will go on.  There is too much money for the race director to lose if it doesn't. 

2013-04-17 9:15 AM
in reply to: #4703598

mkennedy0525 - 2013-04-17 7:20 AM
MightyMoTri - 2013-04-17 8:05 AM

I think that was meant "tongue in cheek".  I don't believe there was any lobby trying to stop it.  It was just humor because he claims to not be trained for the event.  I'm sure the race will go on.  There is too much money for the race director to lose if it doesn't. 

I guess the part where he stated. "[actually, removed for now until I check and find out it's ok to post]" made me think it wasn't tongue in cheek. But maybe my coffee just hasn't kicked in yet.

2013-04-17 11:41 AM

User image

New user

Melbourne

Sorry...didn't mean to scare anyone!!! Embarassed

No...was just trying to bring some levity by sharing what my friend had sent me that made me laugh. That was his reaction to finding out that everything was a go for the race. He thought not training wasn't going to be a big deal for hum up until a couple of weeks ago when he went for a long bike ride.

What I posted that I ended up removing was that I talked to the RD before another local event on Saturday and he said the bike is good! Sounds like there's basically a ton of red tape that had to be dealt with, and that's all finished. There's a public comment period required by law that lasts until the 24th.

I just removed the quote of what he said because I didn't want to get him in trouble in case he isn't allowed to talk about it. Should have re-posted with more info...sorry about that. 

2013-04-20 10:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH

They just go approval from NASA.  I didn't even know we were waiting on that.  I don't think this is normal.  I have been around a lot of race directors and have never heard them talking about getting approval this late in the game.  OH well!  Taper is about to begin and I am ready to get this race in the books! 

I must say, it's kind of cool to get to do a race that may never be done again.  We ROCK!!!!! 

Anyone know were I can find out the current water temps?  I want to start preparing. 

2013-04-20 11:29 AM
in reply to: #4708194

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
mkennedy0525 - 2013-04-20 11:17 AM

They just go approval from NASA.  I didn't even know we were waiting on that.  I don't think this is normal.  I have been around a lot of race directors and have never heard them talking about getting approval this late in the game.  OH well!  Taper is about to begin and I am ready to get this race in the books! 

I must say, it's kind of cool to get to do a race that may never be done again.  We ROCK!!!!! 

Anyone know were I can find out the current water temps?  I want to start preparing. 

Closes I could find in my limited search.  Across the lagoon about 10mi NE from the race site.  It's been hot here lately (upper 80s) but now a cold front is passing though and is only 70 today.

2013-04-20 6:27 PM

User image

Water temp at the race site was 78 today.
2013-04-22 9:27 AM
in reply to: #4708194

mkennedy0525 - 2013-04-20 10:17 AM

They just go approval from NASA.  I didn't even know we were waiting on that.

I thought the same thing.  I thought they were waiting on the wildlife center to give the all clear, not NASA. The website still has the "approximate" map up.  When will we get to see the "actual" course?

2013-04-23 6:53 AM
in reply to: #4709722

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
MightyMoTri - 2013-04-22 10:27 AM
mkennedy0525 - 2013-04-20 10:17 AM

They just go approval from NASA.  I didn't even know we were waiting on that.

I thought the same thing.  I thought they were waiting on the wildlife center to give the all clear, not NASA. The website still has the "approximate" map up.  When will we get to see the "actual" course?

Based on how they have been doing things, we probably won't see the "actual course" until we are racing! Smile  I know the approval from the wildlife people can't come before the 25th because they have it open for comments through the 24th.  That means we are still waiting on that. 

2013-04-23 6:40 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Anyone getting together for a pre-race BT meal or something?  Might be fun

2013-04-24 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
I'm up for a BT get together on Saturday.  Any suggestions?
2013-04-26 9:10 AM
in reply to: #4704128

What I posted that I ended up removing was that I talked to the RD before another local event on Saturday and he said the bike is good! Sounds like there's basically a ton of red tape that had to be dealt with, and that's all finished. There's a public comment period required by law that lasts until the 24th.

Sorry to keep bugging you, but is there any word on when the course is going to be made available to view?  I've sent a couple emails but can't seem to get a response.  Also I've seen some people asking on the events Facebook page regarding the course and location of aid stations.  The RD or whoever responds on there says they are available on the race website, but nobody can locate it.  Ideally I wanted to know awhile ago to make sure my nutrition plan is dialed in, but this waiting until the last minute is starting to frustrate me.

2013-04-26 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4715978

User image

New user

Melbourne
MightyMoTri - 2013-04-26 9:10 AM

Sorry to keep bugging you, but is there any word on when the course is going to be made available to view?

I don't have any other info. I did notice that the wave times and swim course has been updated on the site, but no idea about anything else. I'm also really curious about the mile markers for the aid stations, especially for the run. I'm going to err on the safe side and bring a fuel bottle with a hand strap on the run...just in case.

I usually haul enough stuff on the bike that I can make it without aid stations if I have to. I've dropped bottles and had other mishaps in the past, so I don't chance it there.

2013-04-26 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4713544

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

mkennedy0525 - 2013-04-24 12:31 PM I'm up for a BT get together on Saturday.  Any suggestions?

I totally don't know the area and I am not at a host hotel as they were sold out by the time I made my reservation.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » New tri event 5/5/2013 on central east coast Kennedy Space Center: Sprint+, Olympic+, HIM Rss Feed  

of 4