General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fatigue - training? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-06-12 2:16 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
Subject: Fatigue - training?
I've been training for a 1/2 IM since January. I've been fatigued since mid-May and I can't seem to shake it. It has led to poor training and poor race results. I just don't have the power and energy I had a couple months ago. I just feel so tired, especially on the bike.

I've tried taking off from training for a week and mixed in a few 4 day weekends of doing nothing. But it hasn't helped at all.

I had a physical over a week ago and everything checks out normal.

Has anyone else had a similar training issues who can offer some advice?

2006-06-12 2:29 PM
in reply to: #451531

User image

Pro
Texas
Subject: RE: Fatigue - training?
Have you made any major changes to your diet or sleeping patterns?
2006-06-12 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northwest Ohio
3 years ago, I had a similar issue. I would characterize it as being "weary" rather than fatigued. I wasn't sleepy tired. I just didn't have the energy to get up out of a chair. And what REALLY ticked me off is that I was having trouble to keeping up with my regular running partner. To make a long story short, I got tested for hypothyroidism. (simple blood tests) Now I take a low dose of Levoxyl every morning and I'm good to go. I would suggest looking for that.
2006-06-12 3:06 PM

User image

Master
Loughborough, England
This happened to me a couple of months back. For nearly a month I felt that I had no energy on the bike and found it really hard to complete my training sessions. I tried increasing the number of rest days per week and decreasing my training volume as well as making sure I was eating healthily although none of this seemed to help.

I then I injured myself playing football and was forced to take two and a half weeks off training completely. On returning to training I felt completely better after this lay off period.

So maybe you need to take a good few weeks off completely. Although it wasn't my intention at the time this worked for me.

Good luck with the HIM
2006-06-12 3:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ottawa, Ontario
I had a fatigue problem in my second month of training for my first (August 5) triathlon. I think I over did it on one bike ride (on a very hilly route) and I couln't shake the fatigue for two weeks. It seemed to go away with my "rest week" where I reduced all the workouts by 25 percent.

D
2006-06-12 3:30 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
Thanks for the replies so far.

- JBrashear, no changes in my diet really.

- Bettylou, thanks. I am still waiting for my lab tests from my physical so maybe that will show something. But everything else from the physical was ok. But I feel the same as you did - not sleepy tired but little energy. I'm also getting splitting headaches (tension headaches perhaps).

I had a personal record at the Philadelphia Broad Street Run (10 miles) on May 7th. I ran at a 7:52 pace the entire way which is fast for me. I was thrilled, but I don't think I've recovered since.

Edited by jeepgil97 2006-06-12 3:33 PM

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fatigue - training? Rss Feed