General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am out of triathlon. My bike disappeared. So did my strength. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2012-08-22 8:36 AM
in reply to: #4374641

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: I am out of triathlon. My bike disappeared. So did my strength.
CycloneVM - 2012-08-22 9:23 AM

TheClaaaw - 2012-08-21 9:01 PM   On a comic note, I am pondering what the Phoenix relationship to doughboy would look like, thanks for that.That whole running keeping you sane during crisis, I am a new runner/triathlete, but I can relate. When I look back with some distance and see what was going on in my life in the months when I started running, there is clearly a connection.Anyway, I wanted to update this thead. I am having issues resizing and posting a photo without my desktop, so I have to post a link.Http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151017136835794&l=24f9b9ae81

This isn't the image you are really looking for, but when my brain combines a pheonix and the doughboy, all I keep coming up with is the end of Ghostbusters and a flaming Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man Laughing

OK, I am seriously considering that for my next tattoo. Cool

2012-08-22 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4369235

User image

Veteran
Missoula
2012-08-22 5:37 PM

User image

Expert

Hi Claaaw. This is my second season of Triathlon and I just read your blog. It was so inspiring and I saw a lot of my own emotions in what I read there.

Thanks so much for sharing yourself :-)

2012-08-22 6:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Wow! Very cool and inspiring! Andrew, I wish you many happy future tri's, can't give up now, we're watchingTongue out You're an amazing giving person and I think it's great that you get to be on the receiving end, enjoy, you deserve it!

Patsy

2012-08-22 9:47 PM
in reply to: #4374667

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

Doughboy + Phoenix = Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, yes that springs to mind too Wink

Alternatively here's a picture of Dough Boy in Phoenix, as it's damned hot down here, but as everyone around here says "it's a dry heat"!

(Phoenix Dough-Boy.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Phoenix Dough-Boy.jpg (28KB - 19 downloads)
2012-08-22 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4374765

User image

Master
Bolivia, NC
Lesandtj - 2012-08-22 10:24 AM

Meh...

Hilarious, I love Photoshop.  That is Photoshop, right?

2012-08-22 10:07 PM
in reply to: #4374456

User image

Veteran
Tempe, Arizona

Given your T-shirt, perhaps you should be oooohhhh-boy rather than doughboy? Smile

2012-08-23 5:42 AM
in reply to: #4376116

User image

Master
Sunbury, Pennsylvania
wartho - 2012-08-22 11:07 PM

Given your T-shirt, perhaps you should be oooohhhh-boy rather than doughboy? Smile

First, that terrible tattoo is not photoshopped. It's not even in the top 50 of bad ink I've seen online. I totally believe it. 

As to ooooo boy, those are the aliens from Toy Story. That's where I get TheClaaaw. I picked the name before BT, for a Disney running board, then carried it over. I've since discovered, after starting the Doughboy to Ironman blog, that BT has a resident doughboy already. Interesting how he and I have had a similar bike mystery disappearance, as well as generosity from BT. 

I want to say something about this all. I had no idea any of this would happen. I worry that a casual observer to this board and/or thread might think it looks a little too convenient how in the span of a couple hours, I went from quitting tri to accepting gifts happily. That may be what the pixels on the screen resemble. That is not the full reality. By the time I got to the computer to tell this story, I was a beaten down man, emotionally, in many ways. The bike was apparently the final straw that day. I came to honestly tell the people I know would understand. I really hope no one is seeing this and thinking I was trolling for sympathy and free stuff. 

Again, I try to keep this all in perspective, and this was such a small "problem" to have. So I feel stupid even mentioning this as a comparison, but I'll risk it. Lance's book "it's not about the bike" had a statement that I have mulled over a lot, especially since I deal with sick and dying people as a major part of my calling. He was thankful for the cancer. Now, I resist any idea that everything that happens to us is God's will and part of a plan. I really don't think a loving being says "hey 5 year old, your illness is part of my plan, congratulations for being selected!" - And please, let's not turn this otherwise beautiful thread into a theological war - PM me to tell me where I'm wrong. Lance was not thankful to be ill, but the fight that he waged because of it made him a better man. I know he's a lightning rod of controversy in the endurance sport world, but on this point, even his major detractors offer respect. 

Where I am going with this is right here: I'm glad this happened. I'm glad because the response and result of it has brought such positive energy and love into my life. And that energy has given me more motivation and inspiration for continuing this path which has little to do with finisher medals as the outward sign, but much more to do with moving toward becoming the guy I want to be, for my wife, my kids, my community. For me, it's not just about clicking off the box this fall of finishing a HIM after a DNF in June. It's about becoming the guy who does it even when it gets hard. Especially when it gets hard. That's why I do this. It's not easy for me. "Just finishing" is still a massive goal and achievement for a lot of us, and I'm at the head of that back of the pack.

I almost became the guy that quit because it got hard. I really, honestly, was there Saturday. You have not let me become that guy, you have not let me quit. I am going to ride the heck out of this bike (and I wish the filter wouldn't take away what I want to write there, because I mean it literally, or not so much out of the bike with out THROUGH this bike

Like I said, words on a website can look to a casual observer to be easy and shallow. Believe me when I tell you that this whole experience has been anything but.

2012-08-23 5:56 AM
in reply to: #4376276

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Fred D 2012-08-23 6:05 AM
2012-08-23 8:56 AM

Extreme Veteran
ARLINGTON
OK, that's it.  I seriously need an audio version of this thread to listen to while I'm training.  If we can't get Morgan Freeman, Andrew--you're our guy.
2012-08-23 9:12 AM

Pro
As a flaming capitalist, I can't help but think if you strike quickly you could finance your triathlons by selling "Fans of Doughboy" t-shirts

2012-08-23 9:20 AM

Veteran
Missoula

Edited by Lesandtj 2012-08-23 9:21 AM
2012-08-23 9:25 AM

Extreme Veteran
Bristow

Absolutely, Positively, Amazing!! I try to explain to my wife how awesome the Tri community is especially all the folks here on BT. BT folks welcomed me at my first Tri and got me hooked. I had here read this and she finally got it.

Claaw, I am amazed by your story and hope God continues to bless you and your family and that you continue to be an inspiration for all of us!

2012-08-23 3:07 PM

Extreme Veteran
Nisbet, PA
Wow!  I am not usually at a loss for words.  (Okay, I'm NEVER at a loss for words)  But this thread was so inspiring.  I don't believe I've ever sat down and read an entire 6 page long thread.  But this was worth the read.  It's nice to see what kind of community I joined.  Maybe even gives me the courage to lurk in places other than the Clyde forum.
2012-08-23 3:55 PM

Elite

Andrew... those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind.

Isn't that always the true fight.. to be the person you want to be? I know it is for me.

There was a time in my life when the only wish I had was to not wake up. I had dug a pretty deep hole for myself. But when it came time to check out, I thought I might try the one thing I never wanted to do.... ask for help.

I'm not that same guy today. I am grateful for the life I have. I don't regret a thing because it got me to where I'm at today. Today I'm just trying to be the best me I can be. Some days are better than others.

The most incredible thing I learned from all of that is: when you ask for help, you find out it has been around you the whole time. We all need help at some point. You didn't come here and "ask", but what you did is instead of packing it in... you reached out because you didn't know what else to do. Humility is a good thing. So is gratitude. So is the gift of knowing how we are all connected to each other. I'm sorry for your loss, but happy you got to see what you mean to others. Isn't this a cool ride?

2012-08-24 7:08 AM
in reply to: #4376276

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, South Carolina
TheClaaaw - 2012-08-23 5:42 AM
wartho - 2012-08-22 11:07 PM

First, that terrible tattoo is not photoshopped. It's not even in the top 50 of bad ink I've seen online. I totally believe it. 

As to ooooo boy, those are the aliens from Toy Story. That's where I get TheClaaaw. I picked the name before BT, for a Disney running board, then carried it over. I've since discovered, after starting the Doughboy to Ironman blog, that BT has a resident doughboy already. Interesting how he and I have had a similar bike mystery disappearance, as well as generosity from BT. 

I want to say something about this all. I had no idea any of this would happen. I worry that a casual observer to this board and/or thread might think it looks a little too convenient how in the span of a couple hours, I went from quitting tri to accepting gifts happily. That may be what the pixels on the screen resemble. That is not the full reality. By the time I got to the computer to tell this story, I was a beaten down man, emotionally, in many ways. The bike was apparently the final straw that day. I came to honestly tell the people I know would understand. I really hope no one is seeing this and thinking I was trolling for sympathy and free stuff. 

Again, I try to keep this all in perspective, and this was such a small "problem" to have. So I feel stupid even mentioning this as a comparison, but I'll risk it. Lance's book "it's not about the bike" had a statement that I have mulled over a lot, especially since I deal with sick and dying people as a major part of my calling. He was thankful for the cancer. Now, I resist any idea that everything that happens to us is God's will and part of a plan. I really don't think a loving being says "hey 5 year old, your illness is part of my plan, congratulations for being selected!" - And please, let's not turn this otherwise beautiful thread into a theological war - PM me to tell me where I'm wrong. Lance was not thankful to be ill, but the fight that he waged because of it made him a better man. I know he's a lightning rod of controversy in the endurance sport world, but on this point, even his major detractors offer respect. 

Where I am going with this is right here: I'm glad this happened. I'm glad because the response and result of it has brought such positive energy and love into my life. And that energy has given me more motivation and inspiration for continuing this path which has little to do with finisher medals as the outward sign, but much more to do with moving toward becoming the guy I want to be, for my wife, my kids, my community. For me, it's not just about clicking off the box this fall of finishing a HIM after a DNF in June. It's about becoming the guy who does it even when it gets hard. Especially when it gets hard. That's why I do this. It's not easy for me. "Just finishing" is still a massive goal and achievement for a lot of us, and I'm at the head of that back of the pack.

I almost became the guy that quit because it got hard. I really, honestly, was there Saturday. You have not let me become that guy, you have not let me quit. I am going to ride the heck out of this bike (and I wish the filter wouldn't take away what I want to write there, because I mean it literally, or not so much out of the bike with out THROUGH this bike

Like I said, words on a website can look to a casual observer to be easy and shallow. Believe me when I tell you that this whole experience has been anything but.

I don't anyone ever thought you were doing this threat to get sympathy.  Looking at the response, I think everyone felt touched my your story and the response from BT.

Good luck at the race.

2012-08-24 11:14 AM

Veteran
Vicksburg
Best Thread Ever. It is so wonderful to see the outpouring of support from this community. Keep inspiring!
2012-08-24 11:26 AM

Elite
Minnetonka
I also love this thread, and have been helped by BT.  I received my first number belt from TheBear for free.  I still use it at every race.  A friend of mine got a good deal on a wetsuit from Farlig.  I have new friends that live near me, heck I just photographed FoggyGoggles wedding a month or so ago....Pass it forward someday Claaaw...!  
2012-08-24 11:48 AM

Expert
Boise, ID

Nothing wrong at all with going to your community for support, those that are able to help welcome the opportunity to do so!

If I hadn't been 15th in line by the time I saw your post I would have liked to help as well. I don't see your post as fishing for sympathy at all. I am just glad to be a part of a place where people give and receive support from friends and like minded people. 

Enjoy the new bike, crush the HIM and pay it forward someday when you can!

2012-08-24 1:16 PM

Veteran

Claaaw,

Thanks very much for all you do here and I think I can speak for all of us when I say we want to see some race pictures afterwards.

twomarks

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I am out of triathlon. My bike disappeared. So did my strength. Rss Feed  

of 5