R3 Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 10m 59s
Overall Rank = 6/291
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 4:30 and had typical breakfast of Monster Java and toast w/jam. Left the house at 6:00 and had more coffee on the drive. Yum!
Event warmup:

I jogged for 10 min to learn how the run course felt. I ran the last little bit which included a fairly steep hill so that helped my race. I got in the water and swam for 10 min with a couple of hard efforts. Then I stood with some friends on the beach and waited.
Swim
  • 07m 34s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my best swim ever. I made it to the first bouy with the main pack but rounding the bouy I got knocked around a bit so I lost a few people. Then my goggles fogged badly and we were swimming into the sun so navigation was really difficult so I actually just stopped and looked around to be sure I was going the right way. I am happy with this though.
What would you do differently?:

Spit in my goggles before starting to help prevent fogging. Keep my momentum thru the turns better. I'm not used to being with the pack so it was new to me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

I wasn't violent enough with my legs getting out of the suit so I had to use my hands and pull it off so I couldn't get my helmet on until it was off. I probably lost 5 seconds doing this. Next time I'll try harder.

Kick harder on my suit to get it off while donning my helmet.
Bike
  • 40m 52s
  • 16 miles
  • 23.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't feel good on this bike at all. My calves cramped really bad at about 6 miles in and the little hill at the turn around was very painful. I spun a higher cadence on the way back in and gritted my teeth and it went away.

I am sure my warmup was too early and I had too large of a gap before the start of the race. I have to make sure that I am warm when they line us up from now on.
Transition 2
  • 00m 30s
Comments:

Good transition. I almost popped my left shoe off when I swung my leg over the bike so that would have been very embarrassing since I was the 3rd person in!

Not much to do I think.
Run
  • 21m 1s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

This was my best run to date. I think the course suited me well overall. I can do pretty well on short uphills and I run downhill really well.

Just push harder. I think I still have 30 sec or so in me at my current fitness level.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched a bit. Cheered my friends in and just hung out with all of them for a couple hours.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Poor warmup strategy. I am starting swimming next week!! I think that will really help my race performance from now on. The thing that I look at is with the swimming portion being first, that if I can get more comfortable and more endurance in the water, not even get faster, then the rest of my race won't suffer as much which will allow me to push the bike and run harder. I usually spend the first 5 minutes of the bike trying to get my heartrate back into the 150/160 range so I can get a good effort out.

Event comments:

This was a very fun race. I had a good time and a good race. If my schedule allows for it I will be back next year!

Last updated: 2012-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:34 | 440 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/15
Overall: 0/291
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vector pro 2
Course: Clockwise loop w/2 turns
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:03
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:52 | 16 miles | 23.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 5/291
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back course out of town on 16 and then turning onto "O". It was gently rolling and the roads were in good condition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:01 | 03.1 miles | 06m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/15
Overall: 0/291
Course: Out and back over rolling/flat terrain in town.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-19 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Silver Lake Triathlon

2012-08-19 8:34 AM
in reply to: #4369755

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Silver Lake Triathlon

Well done Randall !! Awesome win! Glad you had a chance to make it up to Portage.  Sorry I missed ya!

Like you said the race is fun and such good people.  Heather Frank the woman that runs the tri is my swim coach, and I train in that lake so it's home to me! Glad you had fun.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silver Lake Triathlon Rss Feed