General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon - Swim help needed Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-20 7:06 AM

Subject: First Triathlon - Swim help needed
Hi Wonder if someone can give me some advice, Im entered for the London Tri, have been training the running and bike, and probably negelcting the swim, becasue its my weakest and I come from not being able to swim just a few months ago.

Its a 400m super sprint triathlon, in a wetsuit in the docks in London;

Only now have I started really getting more confident in the water and something is clicking;
I can swim a length or two (25metres) without stopping;

My last session, yesterday, I swam a complete length, but then all the rest of the lengths I stopped about 3/4 of the way, had a rest and continued, it totalled 450metres;

Basically Id like some advice as how to build up to do the distance without stopping, all programmes I've seen start with unrealistic lengths for me;

Secondly, I have about 32 days left until the triathlon, is this enough time to complete it?

Im not doing it to be competitive just a personal goal to complete the swim, Im hoping the wetsuit will help when needing a rest and I can scull for a bit and start again;

I'd like to continue with my swimming, in the pool every day, and 2 weekends going to the dock near to me in my wetsuit; to try out the open water etc;

Any advice would be greatly appreciated;

2012-08-20 7:13 AM
in reply to: #4370728

User image

Regular
NW
Subject: RE: First Triathlon - Swim help needed

If you are able to swim twice the distance, 800m freestyle without stopping by the date, go for it!  If not, you are a hazard to yourself and all fellow competitors.

2012-08-20 7:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
pennelldj - 2012-08-20 8:06 AM
Hi Wonder if someone can give me some advice, Im entered for the London Tri, have been training the running and bike, and probably negelcting the swim, becasue its my weakest and I come from not being able to swim just a few months ago.

Its a 400m super sprint triathlon, in a wetsuit in the docks in London;

Only now have I started really getting more confident in the water and something is clicking;
I can swim a length or two (25metres) without stopping;

My last session, yesterday, I swam a complete length, but then all the rest of the lengths I stopped about 3/4 of the way, had a rest and continued, it totalled 450metres;

Basically Id like some advice as how to build up to do the distance without stopping, all programmes I've seen start with unrealistic lengths for me;

Secondly, I have about 32 days left until the triathlon, is this enough time to complete it?

Im not doing it to be competitive just a personal goal to complete the swim, Im hoping the wetsuit will help when needing a rest and I can scull for a bit and start again;

I'd like to continue with my swimming, in the pool every day, and 2 weekends going to the dock near to me in my wetsuit; to try out the open water etc;

Any advice would be greatly appreciated;

What is an unrealistic distance? I used a program for my sprint which is 500m and it started at 200m but it started with intervals. 50m easy warm up then 8 x 25s with 15 seconds in between or something like that. You do the distance but you don't start out doing the whole distance all at once. Like you, I started out barely knowing how to swim but I gave myself about a 3 and a half month head start. With only 30 days I think it really depends on what your level is now. There's no way I could've gotten up to 500m from where I was starting out but you may be at a higher level now than me. Good luck!

2012-08-20 8:00 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
Practice a few times in the wetsuit as it will feel different. Also, practice swimming in open water some as its different. Finally, I agree with the other posters, you need to be able to swim the distance plus some more nonstop to be ready. Good luck.
2012-08-20 8:05 AM

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies, I swan 450 metres in the pool, stop starting, so was hoping the wetsuit would give me the opportunity to scull for a bit to get my breath then continue.

I literally don't care how long it takes me I just have to do it, plus the 450 was front crawl only, I was thinking of a using any stroke to get me to the finish, bit of front crawl, breast with crawl legs, side stroke etc.

2012-08-20 8:28 AM

User image

Regular
Boston

My guess is that if you have the fitness to do the bike/run your issue with the swim is one of technique, not overall fitness- i would focus on getting a few swim lessons (or doing an online lesson with any of a number of good coaches)- i think you will find if you clean up your technique you will suddenly be able to swim many 100s of yards without stopping.

I think it would be wise to get your swim up to at least 400 yards without any puase prior to the race though (or choosing a different race to give you more time for swim prep)- as the recent deaths have shown, your first open water swim is not the place to also do your longest swim ever, even with a wetsuit...

If i were to guess on technique you are probably not breathing often enough, which is why you may be having trouble and needing to catch your breath?

maybe take soem video of yourself swimming and post it to this thread?

Coach Noah

2012-08-20 9:12 AM

South Shore, MA

If you can swim the distance with a pull buoy, then I think you'd be able to do it with a wetsuit.

I was signed up for a half Ironman in June.  In May I couldn't swim more than a couple hundred yards straight.  My kick was horrible.  When I neutralized it and eliminated the energy drain with a pull buoy, I could go much longer.  About 3 weeks before the race I swam a mile in the pool with a pull buoy.  No problem.  I found my wetsuit gave my lower body the same buoyancy that the pull buoy did.  I just pointed my feet and swam with just about no kick whatsoever.  I swam open water a bunch of times before my race, including a mile-long swim without stopping.  The race was great.  I was still a slow swimmer, but I had no issues.

In going back to pool work/masters class, I've found that my wetsuit and pull buoy swimming somehow improved my balance and kick (I point my feet now) so I'm a better swimmer unassisted.

But you absolutely need to get some open water experience in before the race.  See how you do with the wetsuit.  Good luck!

2012-08-20 9:44 AM

Veteran
Canton, GA
In light of some recent discussions on this board, your post scares me a little.  I am all for going out there and doing it, but with the swim -- it's "Do or Do Not -- there is no Try!"  Even with practicing with the wetsuit and in open water -- you will not be able to replicate the conditions of racing with hundreds around you kicking, pulling, splashing you in the face/head/arms/legs.  I would strongly suggest that you force yourself to do a few swims without touching the bottom of the pool or the sides first.  Turn around right before you get to the walls and DO NOT STAND UP.  If you can achieve this, then perhaps you are ready to try to open water swim in the race.  There will be other races and plenty of opportunities to conquer your first triathlon, and once you do, you will be hooked beyond all belief.  But don't put yourself (or others) in harm's way just to make your goal of doing THIS triathlon.
2012-08-20 9:53 AM

Absolutely - I do have a level realism and self preservation, and certainly wouldnt put others in danger. I plan to stay well to the side well out of the way, and even though the event is more than adequatley manned would not want to rely and being dragged out of the water!!!

However there seems to be varying levels of opinion here;

Therefore the only thing I should and will do is take onboard the suggestions and try it for myself, then nearer the day of the event I can make an informed and realistic assessment of my capability

2012-08-20 10:00 AM

User image

Regular
Thousand Oaks
Can you breaststroke the distance?  I'm new to swimming and although I can't swim 1500m freestyle I can easily do it with a breaststroke.  
2012-08-20 10:10 AM
in reply to: #4370787

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
pennelldj - 2012-08-20 8:05 AM

Hi Guys, thanks for the replies, I swan 450 metres in the pool, stop starting, so was hoping the wetsuit would give me the opportunity to scull for a bit to get my breath then continue.

I literally don't care how long it takes me I just have to do it, plus the 450 was front crawl only, I was thinking of a using any stroke to get me to the finish, bit of front crawl, breast with crawl legs, side stroke etc.

do NOT count on your wetsuit to help you with swimming to that point.  The better you are able to swim, the better it helps you, but don't use/count on it as a crutch.  Wetsuits can't transform an undertrained swimmer into a swim finisher automatically. At that distance, it sounds like you'll probably be ok, but don't count on the suit to be the difference.

2012-08-20 10:17 AM

No I don't think the suit will tansform my swimming lol if only!

I asked if it will give me the opportunity to break/float easier to catch my breath, but again, the best way is to put it on and go see for myself, thanks though.

2012-08-20 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4371060

South Shore, MA
taylorz13 - 2012-08-20 11:10 AM

do NOT count on your wetsuit to help you with swimming to that point.  The better you are able to swim, the better it helps you, but don't use/count on it as a crutch.  Wetsuits can't transform an undertrained swimmer into a swim finisher automatically. At that distance, it sounds like you'll probably be ok, but don't count on the suit to be the difference.

The wetsuit made all the difference in the world to me in being able to complete the 1.2 mile swim continuously.  Perhaps that was due to the problems specific to  my swimming (sinking legs, bad balance, bad kick).  I wouldn't suggest the OP assume that the wetsuit will be his magic crutch and just go out and  race.  But he/she still has over a month to get in some OWS time to test out the suit and see how he/she does.  Getting in the open water experience with the wetsuit prior to the race is crucial.  As is obviouly attempting the full distance in open water without stopping/standing.

2012-08-20 10:34 AM

What has helped me build my endurance is to do the following:  slow down.  If you are struggling at your current pace then slow it down.  It is amazing how much further you can swim when you do that.  Endurance now.  Speed later.  
2012-08-20 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Wear your wetsuit to your local pool and swim with it.  It helps immensely.  It's like wearing a lifejacket.

You can literally roll on to your back and fall asleep, no swimming needed.

For this reason, I think that if you are willing and able to roll on to your back to rest during the event that you will be fine.  But I mean fine by race day if you are applying yourself to the task in the meantime.

Get in the pool with the wetsuit and reply back with how it changed the experience for you.  I recommend that when you do, you try to swim continuously using it rather than stopping and resting....just 'stop' and rest by rolling on your back and gently paddling or kicking until you have caught your breath then roll back over and continue.

2012-08-20 10:47 AM
in reply to: #4371121

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

I hesitate to say this, because I do fully appreciate the gravity of taking on an open water swim and the recent swim deaths... but it's definitely possible the wetsuit will help enough. 

When I first started out I couldn't swim the distance without my wetsuit.  I practiced for my first several races using a pull buoy almost the whole time I was in the pool.  For me, that was a very close approximation to what the wet suit provided.  Once I realized I could actually swim comfortably with the help of the pull buoy, the mileage was easy to add up and I build the swim fitness.  I HIGHLY recommend at least trying a swim soon with one and see if you can go continuously.    If that does not make enough of a difference, and you're still struggling with the 450 in the week or two before the event I would suggest you look very hard at whether you can should attempt it.

And yes, the wet suit will provide you with extra buoyancy that will make stopping easier.  I personally find that it does NOT turn me into a floating cork, as some will say, so it's not a perfect solution.  I would suggest trying a side stroke as a way to "rest" but keep moving.

Finally I cannot say enough how much a tough swim will affect your whole race. If you struggle through the swim, you will be wiped out and the bike and run will suck.  Get to the pool as often as you can manage it, even if it's just enough time to attempt swimming 500 straight.   Do it over and over.

Good luck!

2012-08-20 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4371121

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

tb1000 - 2012-08-20 10:34 AM What has helped me build my endurance is to do the following:  slow down.  If you are struggling at your current pace then slow it down.  It is amazing how much further you can swim when you do that.  Endurance now.  Speed later.  

This would be my last piece of advice.   VERY important.

2012-08-20 10:57 AM
in reply to: #4371079

User image

Veteran
Panama City, FL
jkrivers - 2012-08-20 10:19 AM
taylorz13 - 2012-08-20 11:10 AM

The wetsuit made all the difference in the world to me in being able to complete the 1.2 mile swim continuously.  Perhaps that was due to the problems specific to  my swimming (sinking legs, bad balance, bad kick).  I wouldn't suggest the OP assume that the wetsuit will be his magic crutch and just go out and  race.  But he/she still has over a month to get in some OWS time to test out the suit and see how he/she does.  Getting in the open water experience with the wetsuit prior to the race is crucial.  As is obviouly attempting the full distance in open water without stopping/standing.

My point was just if the race was tomorrow, then don't count on wetsuit to "save" you or be the crutch that gets you through. Sure, it can help.

2012-08-20 11:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

1.  Order "Total Immersion" and read the first few chapters.

2.  Go to the pool and apply basics.

3.  Get into open water and apply basics.

4.  Repeat 2 and 3 as often as possible.

I did my first tri after only 40 days of swimming earlier this summer.   Finished the swim way back, but FINISHED.  This book will give you the basic technique to get through the swim without stopping.

2012-08-20 11:17 AM

User image

Pro
MA

Please keep in mind that a wetsuit is something to keep you warm.  Its added bouyancy is only a SIDE EFFECT.  While it may help to add confidence of "not drowning", it's not a flotation device. 

Don't kow the details of your race.  The swim is likely to be a mass start, which means many people around you in open water where you cannot put your feet down if things happen.  You are likely to be pushed under, kicked on the face, may choke on water, etc.  You must anticipate these and be comfortable with all these happenings. 

The advice of being able to swim at minimal the race distance non-stop is right on.  The better prepared, the more you can enjoy the race.  Good luck.

2012-08-20 1:32 PM
in reply to: #4370993

User image

Veteran
Louisville

Gunky - 2012-08-20 10:44 AM In light of some recent discussions on this board, your post scares me a little.  I am all for going out there and doing it, but with the swim -- it's "Do or Do Not -- there is no Try!"  Even with practicing with the wetsuit and in open water -- you will not be able to replicate the conditions of racing with hundreds around you kicking, pulling, splashing you in the face/head/arms/legs.  I would strongly suggest that you force yourself to do a few swims without touching the bottom of the pool or the sides first.  Turn around right before you get to the walls and DO NOT STAND UP.  If you can achieve this, then perhaps you are ready to try to open water swim in the race.  There will be other races and plenty of opportunities to conquer your first triathlon, and once you do, you will be hooked beyond all belief.  But don't put yourself (or others) in harm's way just to make your goal of doing THIS triathlon.

x2! I just did my first OWS last weekend and didn't realize how dependent I was on the comfort of the pool. I had a full on panic attack but was able to complete the swim (with help). The following week I went to the pool every day and just hung around in the deepest water I could find to get used to and comfortable with not being able to touch anything. I can obviously swim and the distance wasn't an issue but in the pool I realized I would touch the ground when flipping from my back if I took a rest onto my stomach to resume swimming. I had no idea I even did it until the OWS.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Triathlon - Swim help needed Rss Feed