JMS Racing Services
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 50m 53s
Overall Rank = 22/420
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/27
Pre-race routine:

My wife signed up to do this as a relay with a couple of her friends, so I decided to tag along and use it as a good training day for IM Wisconsin. I didn't really taper at all, just took the day before off to rest up. We headed down in the morning and did packet pickup, got things set up in transition, then there was a fairly long wait, as I was in the last wave and it was a time trial start, so it took pretty long to get everyone from the Olympic race and the half started.
Event warmup:

Swam a couple hundred yards, but not much beyond that...
Swim
  • 35m 17s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

For whatever reason, this swim felt really difficult. I wasn't going that fast, so I know that wasn't it, unless it was long. Several others made the same comment so maybe there was a current or something. Anyway, I was pretty happy with this swim overall, other than a few navigation errors. I did a good job of working around slower traffic and swimming a consistent pace the entire swim. My earplug fell out of my right ear halfway through, and I'm not a huge fan of swimming without earplugs, but I don't think it slowed me down.
What would you do differently?:

Navigate a little better...
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

There is a fairly large hill to run up into the transition area, so that adds to the time. Other than that, things mostly went smoothly until I was about to grab my bike and go. At that point all of the sudden I felt really light-headed and in fact almost blacked out. That's never happened to me before in a race. So I just stood there taking deep braths for 30-45 sec. and eventually felt fine again and headed out on the bike.

Not get light headed, I probably just ran up the hill a little too hard...
Bike
  • 2h 28m 25s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.64 mile/hr
Comments:

I had really good legs from the get-go and passed a ton of people throughout the ride. Nice thing about being a slower swimmer and starting in the last wave I guess ;)...I hit almost all of the hills really well and handled the wind well. I didn't get quite enough hydration in during the ride, eve though it wasn't super hot, and I think that hurt me some on the run. Heed was the sport drink, and it tastes horrible to me, especially when warm, so it was tough to choke that stuff down. The last 7 or 8 miles have some tough hills, so my pace slowed a little there, but I still felt pretty good coming into transition.

Hydrate a little more and maybe take in a few more calories.
Transition 2
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Nothing to see here, pretty solid transition for me. I didn't really have any major problems. The length of the transition area contributes a lot to the time.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 42m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt good the first 3 miles or so, and I was clipping off 7:15-7:30 miles, but these miles are more downhill than up. Once I was out in the exposed areas of the course, I started feeling really warm. I tried to drink a lot at every aid station, but I probably should have carried a bottle as well. I started having stomach discomfort about 8 miles in, and the last 3 miles or so were particularly slow, but still a decent time. The course was a tenth or two long. Ran it in for a 7 minute HIM PR :)

Carry a bottle
Post race
Warm down:

I felt pretty ruined right after the race, so I got a massage and had water and a can of root beer. I found my wife's teammates and waited for her to get finished up. She did a great job on her leg! I realized I won an age group award, never thought that would happen in a long course race when I first started doing these, so stuck around to get it before driving home in a crazy rain storm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of taper and high training volume. Poor hydration on the bike and rough. Tough swim.

Event comments:

As always Pigman was a blast and one of my favorite races to do!

Last updated: 2012-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:17 | 2112 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/27
Overall: 74/420
Performance: Average
Suit: blueseventy Reaction full
Course: Irregular shaped traingle with a long 2nd leg
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:01
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:28:25 | 56 miles | 22.64 mile/hr
Overall: 12/420
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Out-and-back course through Iowa farmland and a couple small towns, with rolling hills throughout and a couple more challenging hills mixed in.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:30
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:42:42 | 13.1 miles | 07m 50s  min/mile
Overall: 43/420
Course: Out and back in the park and the surronding farm country. Some hilliness in the park, with a large downhill 2 miles in and uphill 11 miles in. Otherwise mostly flat-ish but compltely exposed to the sun.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-20 9:29 AM

User image

Regular
Waterloo
Subject: Pigman Long Course Triathlon

2012-08-20 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4370957

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Subject: RE: Pigman Long Course Triathlon

Nice job out there. I think the course was a bit slower this year than last year even though the weather was cooler. I looked at the top 20 this year vs last and found 5 people that did it both years. All of them were on average 10 min slower this year.

I haven't looked at my watch yet for the run distance, but I thought they put the turn around out farther this year than last.

I'll agree with you on the Heed.

2012-08-21 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4370957

User image

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.
Subject: RE: Pigman Long Course Triathlon

What a beautiful day.... for the most part.  You can read my RR to find out when my day started to turn "cloudy"...

I thought the event went pretty well.  Long delay afterwards for awards but it was still fun. Those that came in pretty late off the course came into a large crowd cheering them on.  That had to feel pretty good.

Having the turnaround at the top of the hill after the bridge seemed like punishment. 

I need to look at my Garmin and see if the distance was right.  We drove it the night before and I tracked the turnaround right after the bridge.  Something was a little off there.

Good job. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pigman Long Course Triathlon Rss Feed