General Discussion Race Reports! » Traverse City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Traverse City Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Traverse City, Michigan
United States
Endurance Evolution
56F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 26s
Overall Rank = 7/115
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

The Usual. Oatmeal, Banana, Coffee, drive to race venue
Event warmup:

Nominal. Probably 1/2 mile total of jogging with 3 x 20 seconds of strides thrown in. About 250 yards of easy swimming with one acceleration x about 30 seconds.
Swim
  • 30m 2s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt really comfortable in this swim Felt strong and within myself for the entire swim. Still slow. Need to do more work on this component of triathlon.

Very early in the swim I felt some "rumbling" from my gut which was very unusual and more than a little bit uncomfortable. I had some concern that I was going to come out of the water and have to go straight to the portojon but by the end of the swim things had calmed down and I was able to go straight to the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Be faster. I can swim harder than this but I always seem reluctant to do so in race situations. I am coming out of the water very comfortable--perhaps too comfortable.
Transition 1
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

no socks. shoes left clipped in. did well.

run faster
Bike
  • 1h 08m 9s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.88 mile/hr
Comments:

First attempt at leaving shoes clipped in to pedals. It worked pretty well. One guy passed me while I was getting my feet in. He was pretty fast. I spent the first 1/2 of the bike trying to catch him but was never able to do so.

The only other two people to pass me were Relay guys and I was able to keep the second one in sight and follow him in to transition.

Tried to keep watts between 220-230. Felt pretty good with this ride. On looking at the data, I only averaged 206 which was disappointing.

Overall a good ride.

No GI issues at all on the entire ride.

One bottle of infinit. One gel with 2x caffeine.

Push into my zone of discomfort a little more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

did this pretty well. Two attempts at getting on my L shoe. No socks for the first time ever in a race.

Ran in Newton racers
Run
  • 42m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I really wanted to break 40 minutes for this 10k run segment and felt likeI had the fitness to do this. Started hart right out of T2, running low 6 minute pace.

OK. remember the GI rumble in the swim. Forgot about it completely on the bike. Less than 1/2 mile in to the run I was in trouble. It was clear that something was going to happen and soon and it might not be pleasant. Fortuately this is a pretty rural race so I was able to run about 25 yards back in to the woods and take care of some uncomfortable business. Dried Oak leaves do not make good toilet paper! But, you make due with what you have. With this out of the way, I felt much better. I came crashing out of the woods, scaring several runners and hit the road hard. I lost at minimum 45 seconds and at max, maybe two minutes. either way, it was a bummer but it happened.

The rest of the run was great. I got passed by two runners. One flew by me like I was standing still. He ran a 33:xx 10k. Other guy is someone who is faster than me. I knew he was coming and was trying to hold him off. He caught me at about mile four and by the end he had put jsut over a minute on me. Oh well. Work to do.

My pace for most of the race was 6:30-40 on the Garmin, sometimes a little faster, sometimes a little slower. My stop put me at 6:52 total pace.

Overall, good run. I know, without a doubt in my heart, that I have a sube 40 10k in me right now.

Ummmm. Well the gut thing really sucked. Especially since I was wearing a one piece suit....
Post race
Warm down:

Actually stretched and ran another easy mile. It just felt good to be running easy.

I also went back in the water and rinsed off and swam about another 300 easy yards. My swimming felt smoother and stronger during my warm down than during the race.

Event comments:

I really like this race and would encourage others to do it. To bad it was on the same day as Steelhead this year. I almost skipped it to do Steelhead but in the end I wanted to keep my streak of four consecutive TC tris intact.

Last updated: 2012-08-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:02 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/10
Overall: 23/115
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot Wetsuit
Course: Triangle X 2
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:50
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:09 | 24.85 miles | 21.88 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 7/115
faster than last year. A significant number of hills so I am improving.
Wind: None
Course: Big Loop with hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 87
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:46
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:42:36 | 06.21 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 7/115
Course: Rolling hills. Shade/Sun. Some sand and dirt.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-20 2:00 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: Traverse City Triathlon - Olympic Course

2012-08-22 8:09 PM
in reply to: #4371646

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Traverse City Triathlon - Olympic Course

Great job Jason! Too bad about the runs on the run   More hardware for you.  You'll do great at IMAZ.

Randy

2012-08-22 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4371646

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Traverse City Triathlon - Olympic Course
Awesome race Jason! WOW!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Traverse City Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed