www.swimandfin.org
68F / 20C
Precipitation
Total Time = 44m 44s
Overall Rank = 36/40
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

I went down a day early to check out the location. I purposely swam over some rocks with seaweed just so I could get used to it.

It was raining on the morning of the race, and the forecast included thunderstorms. I went as early as possible in order to get a good parking spot and to have plenty of time to get my mind in the game.
Event warmup:

chit chat. The start was between two buoys about 200 yards off the beach. I was a little panicky on that swim, but by the time I reached the start buoy, I had settled down.
Swim
  • 44m 44s
  • 1650 yards
  • 02m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

I saw the results posted on a board that showed I was 1 out of 1 in my age category. I am estimating that I am about 36 of 40 starters in Masters, non-wetsuit division.

About half-way thru the race, I found someone going my speed. I tried drafting, but I don't have much experience with that. Sometimes, I was so close I could feel the whoosh of her kick, and then I would drop back. I tried to keep in her bubble stream, but I don't think I did a good job of that. Neither one of us is good at swimming a straight line. At one point, she hesitated and kept looking around, so I left her, but then she buckled down again, and passed me. Afterwards, she told me that she wasn't sure where to go next - there were quite a few buoys out there, and it was a bit confusing towards the end.

I don't know my official time yet, I do know it was 44 minutes and change.
What would you do differently?:

More open water swims.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

technique.

Event comments:

This was a fun race. There were so many divisions that there were not many people in any one division, so lots of medals! Wetsuit, non-wetsuit, masters, USA-swimming.

I used to work in this harbor as a sailing instructor so I KNOW what is down there, and that was the scariest thing of all! But I only saw the bottom at the beach finish. The water is much cleaner than when I worked there back in the 1970's/80's.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2012-08-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:44 | 1650 yards | 02m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/1
Overall: 36/40
Performance: Good
Suit: tri-suit
Course: rectangle. Start midway up the long side, then short side, long side, short side, finish.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes