Canada
World Triathlon Corporation
Overcast
Total Time = 12h 16m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 163/320
Pre-race routine:

I went into this race feeling mentally and physically ready. I had a good taper, and felt strong. But the Ironman gods are fickle -- on Friday night after the pasta party, I came down with the stomach flu. I spent most of Sat in bed with a fever, and with various, uh, GI instabilities. I figured I was a DNS for the race. This was coming on the heels of a DNF in the med tent at IM WI last year, so to say the least, I went to a very dark place mentally.

Finally, I just relaxed and told myself it was out of my control, and I'd see what the morning brought. Miraculously, the fever broke Sat evening, and I was able to eat some crackers and part of a sandwich.

Sun AM came. The fever was gone, and I felt marginal with low energy. I thought I'd just start the race and see what happened -- I could always drop out. Not the ideal start to an Ironman.
Event warmup:

Just tried to conserve energy, and focus all my thoughts on race execution. In my depleted state, I knew that if I messed up my race execution, I wouldn't be able to finish. All time goals were gone -- the plan was to just go at a moderate steady pace as if it were a training day. I was strangely calm, with absolutely no butterflies.
Swim
  • 1h 09m 29s
  • 4156 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

I usually start the swim near the front, but for this day I started in the back and toward the side. I wanted to be able to start slow and get out of the scrum quickly if I had to puke in the water. The start was crowded back there, but opened up after a while. Eased into the swim, focusing on long smooth strokes. Except for brief periods, my stomach cooperated nicely during the swim, and I felt pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Loved the carpet for the long trot into T1.
Bike
  • 5h 36m 55s
  • 111.85 miles
  • 19.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm a biker at heart, and I love hilly courses. This is a great course -- scenic, with enough hills to keep it nice and interesting. I started off nice and easy, and started eating right away -- since I had very little in the tank, I knew I had to make eating a priority. So, keep the heart rate down and keep food going in. My Infinit sports drink which Ive used for years was not sitting well, so I tossed it and lived off Honey Stinger Waffles, Powerbars, and water.

Halfway through, I felt pretty good, so I bumped up the pace a bit. The last trip up to Lac Superior hurt a bit more than the first trip, but soon the ride was over. All in all, the bike went very well -- food was staying down, energy level was OK -- I couldn't believe that I had a shot at finishing!

On the bike course, the fans/volunteers started to really come out. Judging from the age range, it looked like the entire town was out volunteering or cheering -- very cool!

Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 5h 20m 50s
  • 26.22 miles
  • 12m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the run feeling pretty good. My plan was to mentally break the course into 10K bits, and walk if I needed to. The first 10k went OK, but right after that the wheels came off. I started to walk, but my energy level sunk to a point where even walking got difficult. My stomach was not digesting while running. Things got dark, but I told myself to just keep moving, because, as the ultra-runners say, things never always get worse.

As I started to come back into town, the energy from the fans/volunteers really really hit me. They were just so supportive of us. And they weren't just friends/family of the racers -- they were all the locals. I know it sounds sappy, but I had nothing left in the tank, and their energy got me out of the dark place and through the first lap.

OK, time to adapt. After experimenting, I found that Coke, orange slices, and a little chicken broth went down OK as long as I walked 300 meters after each aid station. So that became the routine -- walk about 5 minutes after aid and then trot to the next station.

Nearing town for the second time, it started to pour. Bad news for those headed out into the dark for lap two. I tried to encourage them and give them some of the energy that the spectators had given me.

About 2km out, a rainbow appeared over the finish line area -- A fitting ending to a long day.

Post race
Warm down:

Ate a little and got into some warm dry clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Apparently, getting sick right before a race is a BAD idea.

Event comments:

I cant believe I finished. Here's what I learned from this experience.

Race execution (pace, fueling, etc) makes a tremendous difference in a race of this length -- I think it was the only thing that got me through. This was IM #5 for me, and I can honestly say it was my best-executed race to date. Strangely, being sick forced me to moderate my effort and focus on fueling.

If things aren't working, you need to adapt. My stomach did not accept my original nutrition plan, so I tossed it to the side of the road (literally), and found things on the course that worked.

Last updated: 2012-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:09:29 | 4156 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/320
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: Full
Course:
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:36:55 | 111.85 miles | 19.92 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:20:50 | 26.22 miles | 12m 14s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-21 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorful Colorado
Subject: Ironman Mont-Tremblant

2012-08-21 10:21 AM
in reply to: #4372798

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-08-21 3:03 PM
in reply to: #4372798

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Ironman Mont-Tremblant
Great job on finishing the race in less than ideal circumstances!  
2012-08-21 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4372996

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Subject: RE: Ironman Mont-Tremblant
Great job adapting to complete your race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Mont-Tremblant Rss Feed