General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid Elliptical Machine. Any alternatives? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-21 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Subject: Stupid Elliptical Machine. Any alternatives?

I pulled my hamstring running intervals almost two weeks ago.  Tried an easy treadmill run this past Friday and hamstring got sore again after only 15 minutes.  It doesn't bother me on the bike or swim, so I've been able to train normally for those two.  However, I'm trying to come up with a reasonable proxy for running that doesn't strain my hamstring.  I've been doing the elliptical machine but have come to the conclusion it's pretty useless for any real training, even if I push reasonably hard.  Any suggestions for an alternative?

2012-08-21 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4372816

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-08-21 9:32 AM

Subject: RE: Stupid Elliptical Machine. Any alternatives?
I feel your pain. Been "hamstrung" for many years, and only recently has it gotten so bad, that I cannot continue running -- biking and swimming are still fun, but the hamstring issue, while running, has been overwhelming.

Based on my own personal experiences, there is no adequate substitute for running. I have not tried aqua running, but my hunch is that it may be pretty close to elliptical training in terms of usefulness in replicating anything near actual run mechanics. For me, the elliptical trainer has been the closest approximation to the run. Yes, far from perfect, but better than nothing. But still, nothing more than a poor substitute.

I will add this: HARD swimming, in the way of intervals, tough sessions, etc...has always brought out the best in my running...I think it's because the pain treshhold to swim hard sessions is necessarily higher than that which is required to run hard.....it's hard to "back off" in the pool....as a result, swim intervals, at least in the short-term, have definitely improved my ability to push on the run and go faster. So, maybe in a roundabout way, the more time that you spend in the pool (due to not being able to run) may pay off a bit once you hit the pavement.

good luck with your hamstring. Been reading up on it, and it's often not even a hamstring issue...has a lot do with the the hips, leg length, etc.....oh boy......

2012-08-21 9:32 AM

I feel your pain. Been "hamstrung" for many years, and only recently has it gotten so bad, that I cannot continue running -- biking and swimming are still fun, but the hamstring issue, while running, has been overwhelming.

Based on my own personal experiences, there is no adequate substitute for running. I have not tried aqua running, but my hunch is that it may be pretty close to elliptical training in terms of usefulness in replicating anything near actual run mechanics. For me, the elliptical trainer has been the closest approximation to the run. Yes, far from perfect, but better than nothing. But still, nothing more than a poor substitute.

I will add this: HARD swimming, in the way of intervals, tough sessions, etc...has always brought out the best in my running...I think it's because the pain treshhold to swim hard sessions is necessarily higher than that which is required to run hard.....it's hard to "back off" in the pool....as a result, swim intervals, at least in the short-term, have definitely improved my ability to push on the run and go faster. So, maybe in a roundabout way, the more time that you spend in the pool (due to not being able to run) may pay off a bit once you hit the pavement.

good luck with your hamstring. Been reading up on it, and it's often not even a hamstring issue...has a lot do with the the hips, leg length, etc.....oh boy......

2012-08-21 10:06 AM

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Aqua jogging in deep water (with a belt) will definitely mimic running with no impact and get you a great workout - if you do it right. Search YouTube for some instructional videos and workouts/intervals.
2012-08-21 10:09 AM

Melon Presser
Like others said, i would give deep-water running (aquajogging) a try. You may find that it exacerbates your hamstring as well, though, since deep-water running pretty much taxes (and then develops) your musculature in the same way as land running (but without the weight-bearing adaptations).

2012-08-21 12:33 PM

Master
Salt Lake City

xWhatever on the Aquajogging.  It has worked for me, I was able to retain almost all of my run fitness after 4 weeks off of actual running due to ITBS.

Failing that, just do a swim/bike focused block for several weeks and ease back into running after you have time to heal.

2012-08-21 12:48 PM

New user
Elliptical machines vary a lot between manufacturers, so you might be able to find one that works for you. What are you finding that the elliptical doesn't do? Is it too easy, is the motion wrong, or does it hurt your hamstring? I find the LifeFitness and Sole ellipticals have a stride that fits me pretty well, while the Precors seems a bit off. I know other people who have the opposite feeling, so you might need to try a few brands. I also know that my Sole has pretty hard resistance, but many of the other ones I tried before buying it were very easy even on their highest level.

All that said, I don't know that elliptical trainers are a great substitute for running. They can help with cardio but you will still lose some running conditioning. I had some success switching from elliptical to running, but there is a lot of pounding when you run that the ellipticals don't have. I'd hate to recommend aqua jogging, since you might take a lane away from me when I'm swimming.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Stupid Elliptical Machine. Any alternatives? Rss Feed