Canada
25C / 77F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 19s
Overall Rank = 13/56
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 3/7
Pre-race routine:

On vacation for the past week; very little biking or running and essentially no swimming all year. Enjoyed the day with Victoria and Alexis and just made sure I had all my race stuff.
Event warmup:

Talked to junior athletes at the start line; as his was the provincial champiionship, many were there and excited I was racing. We talked about the course, pacing, transition and watched oly distance athletes exit the swim. Quick swim and then lined up.
Swim
  • 15m 50s
  • 750 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt great to the first buoy; in the mix and drafting well. After that, my total lack of swimming caught up to me and I was just trying to swim as straight as possilbe. Felt comfortable the whole time but was slow and just couldn't maintain pace; even when athletes went by, there was nothing I could do to draft off them.
What would you do differently?:

Swim
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Wetssuit stuck on left arm but otherwise, good.

Nothing
Bike
  • 41m 37s
  • 20 kms
  • 28.83 km/hr
Comments:

All the juniors were out of the water ahead of me so the chase was on; I passed one girl shortly out of transition but I knew I was in trouble as I was totally gassed from the swim. Nothing felt right and I just felt I was struggling on the bike. I was bringing people back but working very hard to do it and knew that my bike split was going to be disappointing. Saw the other juniors as I was getting close to the turnaround but they were all too far away to reel back in by the end of the bike. Fortunately, this renewed my focus and I hammered back down to transition; mainly downhill and I was flying back into town. Turned into town, got my feet out of my shoes aand into transition.

Swim more
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Very good

Nothing
Run
  • 21m 53s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 23s  min/km
Comments:

Run went very well; got out on the run and to the steep climb; was running but felt really slow. Decided to walk and think I was walking faster than I was running up the hill; as soon as I was at the top, back to runninng and chasing. I realized on the hill thta I had passed a junior who was in the penalty box as she yelled at me to keep running. She is normally a 21ish tri runner so this helped keep me focused; stay away from her and chase down the two juniors I knew were in front of me. There was also a guy in the 50-59AG just in front of me and I was trying to reel him in; even though we passed a few runners, he kept a very consistent gap between us so I stare just trying to keep him there and then try to get him in the last km. Passed another female junior on an uphill; told her to stay focused, hit the turnaroun and then start pushing through the finish. Saw the only junior left in front of me about 400m before the turnaround; with how strong he looked, I knew I wasn't bringing him back; told him to drop the hammer and finish strong. Passed a couple more athletes but still wasn't getting any closer to the guy in front; started running harder inside 1km but he still held the gap; as we came up to the 500m to go, he opened it up a bit and I had nothing left; quick shoulder check to see nobody there so cruised it in to Victoria and Alexis cheering me on.

Swim more.
Post race
Warm down:

Chatted with juniors and cleaned up transition. TD also talked about the penalty to a junior to make sure there were no issues.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming

Last updated: 2012-08-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:50 | 750 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 23/56
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca Evo
Course: One counterclockwise triangle.
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:37 | 20 kms | 28.83 km/hr
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 12/56
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Mainly uphill with headwind to turnaround; then a fast return.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good