JMS Racing Services
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 54m
Overall Rank = 300/
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Took it easy and had a cup of coffee and a Breakfast essential drink. Got everything loaded up for Damon, Jim and TJ then headed out around 5:30.
Event warmup:

Got to the trans area before it even opened so that was cool but we also ended up parking in the parking lot. Thought that with this being a combo race that it might be a bit more hectic but again i am impressed with how this event is held year in and out. Got numbered and chipped and then took to setting up. Took the far end of the Rack to squeak out some extra real estate to take advantage of during the trans times.

Once setup just through on the wetsuit and started to wander and take in some of the bikes.
Swim
  • 53m
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

no wetsuit I think. I have felt real comfortable with out it but wore anyway.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

no rush here. my whole goal was slow and steady. Took in my first crustable of the day tasted great.

nothing
Bike
  • 3h 20m
  • 56 miles
  • 16.80 mile/hr
Comments:

bike goal was to get 16-17 mph and have good legs on the run. held the mph in place and each hour I ate another crustable mixed in with fruit snacks. The drinks were mostly my Nuun lemon lime a couple bottles of Heed and one bottle of water at the end to transition to the run. The course was light I passed a few but primarily just focused on not getting tired.

push a bit more but I was happy with how I came off the bike.
Transition 2
  • 05m
Comments:

took time again. felt good even sat on the ground to put on shoes and sun block. thought about throwing on the radio but ruls say no so I listened to the man and did not put them on. Hit the porta pottie and took off

This is where I need one more crustable. I had one after the swim and had 1 an hour in to the bike and then another the next hour. I think a fourth would have helpd me finish this race out a bit better.
Run
  • 2h 28m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt really comfortable. no speed but the nutrition seem to hld me up to the last couple miles so I was happy with that;

Eat that crustable before the run. other than that felt like I was close to what I wanted.
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed a piece of pizza and some water, and more water. lingered around for a bit with the guys but since we didn;t win anything and the thunder was rolling in we took that as our Queue to head out

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

good race and great support. maybe again in 2 years

Last updated: 2012-02-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:53:00 | 2112 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: I really should have not gone wetsuit. I don't swim in it enought and don't believe it fits the best. But whatever. I made it through a calm swim with the only issue being the gasoline taste I got occasionally from near by boats and my googles fogging. neither of which added to the slow swim. I just don't have the swim down yet........
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:20:00 | 56 miles | 16.80 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills pretty much. but spaced just enough you cant get a good roll up on most.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:28:00 | 13.1 miles | 11m 18s  min/mile
Course: Out and back best way to describe it is it is a long half-pipe(skateboard ref). Just got out and started taking short strides and kept in a controlled pace, for me. Each mile I hit the drink station to get a banana. by mile 5 I started getting a banana andd cup of water. Ran into Jim and Damon as I hit mile 6. They just came down the hill as I was heading up. Wanted to catch them but held my pacejsut to keep going on plan. This was pretty uneventful up to mile 9. At that point I started getting hot so had to pour water on teh head and drop ice in the Jersey. kept hitting bananas and oranges occasionally with some ice water but not much. I maintained a jog the whole way until mile 11. That was the point where I had to break stride and just walk a bit then run and so on. kept that up until the last mile then I just started the small gallup and got through it.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes