General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I saw something yesterday and i can't shake it... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-08-26 8:08 PM
in reply to: #4381264

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: I saw something yesterday and i can't shake it...
ironultrared - 2012-08-26 5:21 PM Sobertriguy, thank you. The faster that someone gets help in a serious medical emergency, the more likely they will survive and/or come out unscathed. Your intervention made it so the responders could do their job. My thoughts are for you now.

You said that you can't get it out of your head. There's so much to be said on this, and most of it I would say in a private message, but with this happening more and more at races, I'm hoping that this will help at least one person. Please consider seeking the confidence of a professional counselor. I'm not saying you're crazy - not by any means. Events like this can cause PTSD in people who are witnesses or become involved in the situation. It's something that is being recognized in emergency services more and more, and at alarming rates. Imagine the effect on people who don't intervene in medical emergencies as their day job. As with an obvious medical emergency, the sooner there is evaluation and maybe treatment, the better someone does.

I'm not saying that you need help. I'm saying that this is something that is extremely hard to see, muchless participate in, and come out the other side unscathed. Nothing reminds us so much of our own mortality. My heart goes out to you.

Again, thank you. Your involvement made a difference to someone yesterday. Someone who means the world to his family.

Excellent point!  When I was a child I watched a man ski into a tree and die.  I still have visions of it, particularly when I am tree skiing (even though the person died while skiing on a groomed run, caught an edge and went into the trees).  I'm thankful that I have very patient friends who understand that when we go tree skiing I will be slower and prefer to follow their line so I don't have to focus as much on picking a line.  I'm sure that if I'd dealt with what I saw as a child it wouldn't affect me as much 25 years later.  

Kudos to you for your fast thinking.  

2012-08-26 11:27 PM
in reply to: #4380740

User image

Pro

Nice work!

You'll get over it.  You won't ever forget it, but you'll get past it.

Everyone who is around people who do what we do should learn CPR.....you could save a life.  It can't always work, and the truth is, it doesn't more times than it does....but when it does, it's amazing.

2012-08-27 9:03 AM
in reply to: #4380910

User image

Pro
MA

You did the right thing in starting the respond, and to help clearing the area to make sure the helpers are safe and have enough space to work on the victim.  Scene safety is the most important in first responding.  You don't want the responders to accidentally hurt themselves while helping and there you have a 2nd victim. 

I am a bit concern regarding the following comment:

MGTRI - 2012-08-26 2:07 PM

The gentleman faced a similar situation last week but not to the degree of yesterday's occurance..... 

This is no joke.  Why would he still be racing with a recent history like that?  Did he get a check up after last week's occurance? Would a doctor think it's ok to race a week after a heart condition occured? 

2012-08-27 9:18 AM
in reply to: #4381865

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member

^ I had the same thought after reading the MGTRI post.

Jerry (OP) - Wow, unbelievable, but so glad you were there and took immedaite action.  Lucky guy to have all the right people and gear still in the area to give aid.  I just got CPR and defib certified last year, and your story is another reason I will keep getting recertified as needed. 

Remember to take care of yourself too!

2012-08-27 10:45 AM
in reply to: #4380973

User image

Extreme Veteran

michgirlsk - 2012-08-26 2:08 PM Wow.  Somehow this encourages me to get re-certified in CPR...

Everybody, please do. The class takes a couple of hours.  It could save somebody's life.  I re-certified mine, when I had somebody collapse at one of the races I RDd.  He didn't make it.  I have the whole scene still in my mind.

2012-08-27 1:54 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Kudos to you for calling for help ASAP and doing all you could do to help the medical personnel (clearing the area, etc.).  I'm shaking, too, just reading your write-up.  You did the right thing, and quickly.  Glad to hear the gentleman will be OK.

2012-08-27 11:13 PM

User image

Master
Thank goodness you were just talking to him.  Immediate help is so important, and you provided that.  I can only imagine the feelings you are having today.  Please, please, please, if you continue to struggle with this, get yourself some help.  Thank you for helping that man stick around for his family.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I saw something yesterday and i can't shake it... Rss Feed  

of 2