Annapolis Striders
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 24m 10s
Overall Rank = 850/3857
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 43/68
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5, 2.5 hours before the start of the race. Ate a banana, bagel with cream cheese, cup of coffee, glass of water and a half of bottle of the 32oz gatorade. Sat around for a few minutes and drove to the race, as it was pouring and lighting... fingers crossed the race would run.
Event warmup:

It POURED up until about 10 minutes before the race. In fact, as the race started and I was still in line for the restroom (Striders, please more porta-pots in the Taylor Ave parking lot), there was some distant thunder. But the race had started and it was under way. Jogged over to the line, and with about 2k people in front of me still, slowly worked my way forward. Sadly, the bathroom would be my demise for the first few miles.
Run
  • 1h 24m 10s
  • 10 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

This race was ******** AWESOME. To preface the race. Back in high school, as a freshman, I went to the elite inv. at W&M. The race poured, you literally had to swim at one point, footing was awful, and it hailed. The A10, was this race on a road, but longer.

I went out and had to play leap frog for the first four miles. It was, get in stride, slam it, slow down and basically having to push through. RE: starting late due to the bathroom problem. The first 3 miles were insane, nothing but sideways rain, hail and blindness. It was W&M all over.

The sky was throwing little beads of hate down on us all.

I pushed out a bit to fast, but the start is flat and I wanted out of the mob of people and couldn't get out. Miles 3-7 were uneventful but my legs were starting to get a bit fatigued from trying to stay on a guys shoulder through the hills. I stayed with him from miles 4-7 and then dropped him. I guess he got tired... By mile 8, the drizzle stopped and the sun started to come out... not cool. It started to get HOT. The last mile was torture. It was getting really warm and I had dropped every person I was trying to stay with. There was a guy with a Marine Corps marathon shirt I stayed with and then he dropped me on the bridge as you approach mile 9 (not happy about that).

Finished soaked, but couldn't stop laughing due to the insane puddles (knee deep in some instances), the hail, slipping (Brooks, put some traction on your Pure Project shoes!), and just the insanity of the race. But, I was about a minute faster than I wanted to be, with a lot left in the tank.

With this finish, I'm sitting pretty for a < 1:45 Annapolis half, maybe even faster as fartlecs start to get introduced now.

Splits:
0-3: 24:20 (oops - might be to fast)
3-6: 25:45 (hilliest part of course)
6-9: 25:00 (okay, settled back in)
9-finish: 9:05 (I hate the heat)

Goal was a 1:25, but I was expecting a 1:26-:28
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around trying to find food, no avail. Walked to car and left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The knee deep puddles, hail and winds that felt like they were going to blow me away.

Event comments:

Tons of aide stations, which I found hysterical. No need to stop for water, tilt your head up and open your mouth. I took a water at mile 7 to cool off, felt great. Post-race food was impossible to find. Solid course and nice people.

Last updated: 2012-08-14 12:00 AM
Running
01:24:10 | 10 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/68
Overall: 0/3857
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3