of 4

2012-10-15 12:31 PM
in reply to: #4454180

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Subject: RE: Cyclocross race reports

Seneca Creek Cyclocross Challenge Mens 3/4 35+

Wasn't expecting much from this race, legs felt crappy all week and I registered late so started 67th out of 80 something.

Course had no road sections, all grass/dirt, lots of twisty turny bumpy sections, 2 volleyball court crossings that were so deep it wasn't worth it to ride through and 2 sets of barriers.

It never ceases to amaze me what a difference it makes starting near the front vs. the back.  Right away I kept choosing bad wheels, everyone to the right of me and left of me were moving forward and there wasn't much room for me to get out from behind the guy in front of me, got to an open area and passed a bunch.  Made it to the first turn and bam 2 guys on the deck.  Had to un-clip, get off my bike and run around them.  Next turn same thing.  By then the guys that were just in front of me ended up with a huge head start.  Saw them way down the course while I was stuck getting around crashes.  Ended up 37th so I passed 30 guys but giving the field that much time is just too hard to make up enough ground to put myself in contention.

Actually turned out to be a good race legs wise, but would have been nice not to be stuck behind the pileups, could have just as easily been 17th vs 37th without them.

2012-10-15 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4381658

User image

over a barrier
psycho Cross on Saturday Masters 30+ Open

I think I was staged two or third row, can't remember exactly. The course is on a driving range so it almost a grass crit. One double barrier section, sand pit, and a staired flyover. Rained Friday night and early Saturday making the course very soft. I think 7 laps total, with 2 to go I had bridged up to a small group of 3-4, took a huge effort to make the bridge and took almost 3 laps. The corners were very greasy. Last lap I was approaching the start/finish the heavens opened and it started pouring make the greasy turns slicker and some mud would appear. A big effort and I got a small gap on my group and took some risks in the turns. I was either going to stay away or go down trying. Once you leave the driving range, you hit an unkempt field and I gave it everything I had, I knew a gap would be tough to close down if I come out of the field with a 5 secs or more, into the barriers and a 180 my gap had grown...they had given up the chase and I stopped taking risks and just tried to stay on my bike. Cruised into the finish at 19th and would make the jump up to 24th in the overall standings.

Carpenters Cross Sunday: Masters 30+ Open

Didn't know what to expect when I got there, it had rained most of Saturday and Sat night. I knew there would be one mud section, as we go through a plowed corn field that is built into a pump and rhythm section. This year the first bump was 5 ft tall and the mud was a thick peanut butter. We had two single barriers that each had a creek crossing. Very punchy course, not my cup of tea.

Staged second row. Got a great start for me (shocking) and was sitting top 15 into the off camber hill, which was now unridable due to the 40+ race ripping up the hill. So we all ran and got jammed up again, barrier and creek, got jammed up again so 15 of us hit the P&R section together through the mud...I made the big hill and then touched wheels on the second hill...had to dab and couldn't get going again, forcing me to run 50ft plus in mud. Got gapped in a bad way and drop down into the low 30's somewhere. Next few laps, I was burning matches left and right trying to get back on terms. Made my way back up to 21 but the efforts would cost me and lost it with 1 to go and rolled in 22nd. The results dropped me down to 25th in the standings.

We had a tornado warning and buckets of rain after my race. They had to delay for a few hrs while the warning passed, so I left. The Cat 123 was canceled mid race. Scary skies.

Next week is one of my favorite courses, hoping for a Top 20.

Edited by running2far 2012-10-15 3:33 PM
2012-10-22 8:53 AM

User image

over a barrier
Not much to report.

Masters 30+ Open Cat

Amazing start, sitting top 15 for the first half of 1 lap and got greedy while riding the tape and got ripped off my bike..sending me 90 degrees the other way which rolled my front. Sent me back to dang near DFL. Crawled and fought my way back to 31st. One spot out of the points. I think I dropped one spot in the series standings. The positive, I finally beat a a guy I had been chasing all year.

Cat 3

This was a power course, with no place to hide. My 30+ race was an IF of .95 for 48' mins. I knew this second race was gonna hurt. Stayed on my bike and finished 49th out of 84 starters. I starting to get that itch to race a Cat 3 race fresh and snag a series point so I don't start in the back but really want to keep scoring 30+ masters points.
2012-10-22 10:50 AM

User image

Master
Tosa, WI

Sun Prairie Cup-  

Course was very wet and slippery during warm-ups, it will be different during the race.  Did call ups, got the hole-shot and pulled away with Timm and one guy I didn't know. We just hammered the first lap and put some room between us and the rest of the field. Timm and I went back and forth and then I let him take the lead going into the 2nd lap. I rode his wheel the entire lap and into the third lap, when he looked back at me and kind of sat up on the grass straight and I told him that I wasn't taking the lead so he may as well keep riding. We were both on the limit but I just kept pushing him. 1/2 through the final lap he gaps me on a corner due to a lapped rider with a really nice move and seizes the opportunity and hits it, HARD. I just didn't have enough left to grab his wheel again when I got around the lapped ride and he just rode away. He won by a good 200 yards.  I think I may have gone out to hard in the first lap or else I drank to many beers on Saturday at the Badger game ....  at least that is my excuse for now.  

Then I tripped and fell on the barriers at the end and got passed by the guy who took 2nd. I didn't race him back real hard because he had the wrong number on and I didn't think he was in my race.... UGG!!!  

Didn't lose much in the standings taking 3rd, but I need to figure out why I keep popping late in races......  

2012-10-25 10:11 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-10-25 11:04 AM
in reply to: #4468737

Extreme Veteran
"The Burn in Vernon"  Number 3 of 5 in the Interior Cross series!

This was a FREEZING cold morning, hovering RIGHT above freezing....  I also had to ride a MTB since the cross bike I typically use was unavailable :p  Long but fast course, wasn't too impressed with it though, not too technical :p

Still managed to place 5th out of 16 or 17 in my group!  I was leading for a while, but my stupid stem dropped on me, causing me to have to stop losing 2 spots, though I would have lost more had I not stopped.

Barrier at the bottom of a hill, by the time I got to the top on lap 4, I got passed for 3rd, and a friend who warms up SLOW passed me on the last lap.

Overall it was my best showing, and on a MTB to boot, pretty happy.

2012-10-26 11:59 AM

Extreme Veteran
*seat dropped, not stem..... :p
2012-10-29 9:20 AM

Master
Tosa, WI

J-Pow and I shared a couple of things this weekend.  A DNF along with a broken bike. 

Details......     So, I got crashed out of my CX race yesterday morning by a slower lapped rider that I just passed.  2 spokes out of my back wheel (tubulars so now I gotta unglue the tire to replace, etc.), derailleur went into the back wheel taking out the spokes, bent the derailleur hanger and somehow bent the skewer bad enough it had to be cut get it out the wheel.  Worst part was I was in a great position for most of the race, actually using my head correctly, I had great legs, and could have really shut the door on the points standings with a good finish.  Then to top it off I twist my ankle on a rock during my 5k run back to the pits.  

My ankle felt and seemed fine, so I borrowed a bike from a teammate and raced the 2nd race ....  in costume, on bike that was 2 sizes to small and I didn't want to mess with his fit so I left seat height alone.  Kind of felt like I was riding a clown bike but I still finished in the top 20 on pure adrenaline.  Then about 2 hours later, my ankle starts to swell and it hurts to put any pressure on it.  Elevate, Ice, etc. all night and it is tender and a little swollen this morning.....  but I believe will be race worthy by Sat if I take it easy.  As they say, that's Cross racing.  

2012-10-29 9:38 AM

over a barrier
Sounds like DNF is going around...

Masters 30+ caught up in 4 crashes in the first lap, all right in front of me. The first one was really bad, I had several guys on top of me. Front wheel needs to be trued in a big way. DNF

Cat 3

One crash, just sucked.

Taking next week off...for team party to reset my attitude.
2012-10-30 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4468870

Pro
Vancouver, BC

dfquigley are you going to Catherine Pendrel's race next weekend. I'm considering it since I have a good friend who lives in Kamloops that I can stay with.

My second cross race happened on Sunday. Pumpkin cross. I got to wear a costume so that was fun. There was also a Beginner Women, Intermediate women and Elite women self seeded, so I raced with the Intermediate women, since it was my second race, I must be intermediate now. Just kidding, but there were lots of ex-elite road racers doing their first or second race in Intermediate so I decided to join them.

Ended up 6th, so definitely better than the first race. I think I'm getting it. I understand why you need a good start now. I lost most of my time there and was behind a woman who crashed in the mud (there was lots of mud!) and I got gapped. I was able to ride though the deep mud every lap, but not everyone was, so if you were stuck behind someone that sucked. I originally seeded myself at the back because I thought I sucked, but I guess I'm just average. Next race I'll start closer to the front. I also figured out dismounts and was able to do those. I don't quite have the mounting figured out yet though. 

Oh, almost everyone wore a costume, but I decided to wear a Barney costume which was really hot so for the second half of the race, I was suffering, I was sweating so much. 

(pumpkincross_resized.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
pumpkincross_resized.jpg (98KB - 6 downloads)
2012-10-30 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4454194

Pro
Vancouver, BC
dalessit - 2012-10-15 10:31 AM

Wasn't expecting much from this race, legs felt crappy all week and I registered late so started 67th out of 80 something.

Course had no road sections, all grass/dirt, lots of twisty turny bumpy sections, 2 volleyball court crossings that were so deep it wasn't worth it to ride through and 2 sets of barriers.

It never ceases to amaze me what a difference it makes starting near the front vs. the back.  Right away I kept choosing bad wheels, everyone to the right of me and left of me were moving forward and there wasn't much room for me to get out from behind the guy in front of me, got to an open area and passed a bunch.  Made it to the first turn and bam 2 guys on the deck.  Had to un-clip, get off my bike and run around them.  Next turn same thing.  By then the guys that were just in front of me ended up with a huge head start.  Saw them way down the course while I was stuck getting around crashes.  Ended up 37th so I passed 30 guys but giving the field that much time is just too hard to make up enough ground to put myself in contention.

Actually turned out to be a good race legs wise, but would have been nice not to be stuck behind the pileups, could have just as easily been 17th vs 37th without them.

Hey, this sounds like my race last weekend! Sometimes it's not about the placing eh?

2012-10-30 12:27 PM
in reply to: #4475111

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
jeng - 2012-10-30 11:40 AM

dfquigley are you going to Catherine Pendrel's race next weekend. I'm considering it since I have a good friend who lives in Kamloops that I can stay with.

My second cross race happened on Sunday. Pumpkin cross. I got to wear a costume so that was fun. There was also a Beginner Women, Intermediate women and Elite women self seeded, so I raced with the Intermediate women, since it was my second race, I must be intermediate now. Just kidding, but there were lots of ex-elite road racers doing their first or second race in Intermediate so I decided to join them.

Ended up 6th, so definitely better than the first race. I think I'm getting it. I understand why you need a good start now. I lost most of my time there and was behind a woman who crashed in the mud (there was lots of mud!) and I got gapped. I was able to ride though the deep mud every lap, but not everyone was, so if you were stuck behind someone that sucked. I originally seeded myself at the back because I thought I sucked, but I guess I'm just average. Next race I'll start closer to the front. I also figured out dismounts and was able to do those. I don't quite have the mounting figured out yet though. 

Oh, almost everyone wore a costume, but I decided to wear a Barney costume which was really hot so for the second half of the race, I was suffering, I was sweating so much. 

That is just a whole lotta hottness in that picture.  Hubba, hubba.

Oh, and well done in the race. 

2012-10-30 12:35 PM
in reply to: #4475203

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Hah. You can definitely tell which two already raced and which three have yet to race.
2012-10-30 5:01 PM
in reply to: #4475114

Champion
jeng - 2012-10-30 12:42 PM
dalessit - 2012-10-15 10:31 AM

Hey, this sounds like my race last weekend! Sometimes it's not about the placing eh?

Yeah if you have a crummy start position you start with the excuse, I'm not out to podium but I'm going to get a lot of kill points.

And that's an awesome picture btw.

2012-11-05 10:28 AM

over a barrier
Mid week decided to race after all, Master 30+ Open

Old course, new design. Tons of climbing both on the bike and run up. Course had very nice flow to it, but made you want to puke several times. Points put me on the second row, just barely during calls up. Got a decent start, into the woods was getting dive bombed on every corner started to really get under my skin. No reason for that stuff, just makes everyone slower.

Worked hard with a teammate for several laps to bridge up to a group of 4 or so and got around a couple of them with two to go. Tried to get another group and emptied the tank but cost me as I completely cracked with 1/2 a lap to go and two guys came around me on the run up..just some downhill sweepy turns after the run up so couldn't fight to get the places back.

24th / 54 I think

It was a win, didn't smash my wheel, roll a tubular, or get tattoo'd with any crank teeth this week.

Cheered (read heckle) Whizz and Coredump as they made their CX debut.
2012-11-05 11:14 AM

Master
Tosa, WI

Congrats to our BT CX virgins this weekend.  Welcome to the addition.  Just bought a singlespeed CX bike this week so I can ride more races each weekend......  

ESTABROOK PARK CX 

Masters 45+ 

So, great warm-up, great legs, and ready to rock. Roadies course, so not my favorite, but Bring it. Call ups, and I get the hole shot and purposely wait into the first bend to be passed and fall into 3rd, perfect. Up and over the paved section and WTF, I drop my chain. Try for a while to Front derailleur it back on.... it just won't go. So, off the bike to get the chain unstuck from the backside of the BB. At least 200 yards behind the last guy in our race group by the time I get moving again. Anyone mention how important a good starting position is in CX?  So, I worked my butt off all race and somehow made it back to 5th. Must have passed 50+ people between our guys and the slower 35+ guys. All I can say is man some of these guys really need to learn how to ride a corner!! AND I AM DONE WITH MECHANICALS THIS YEAR!!!! 

Overall, I was actually pretty happy that I only dropped 5 points to Timm with a Mechanical today. I think he and others were shocked I made it back up to 5th. So it is still a 3 man race for the Cup with 4 races left. Now it's time to execute! 

OPEN 4A 

Just made the start after the earlier race going a little long and needing to change numbers, get a drink, etc. so started in the very back. I just rode as a training ride like usual focusing on corners and steady power, etc. Ended up 12th on the day and worn out! 

2012-11-12 10:21 AM

Master
Tosa, WI

Anybody else racing Jingle Cross?  Look for the Team WI tent and come by for a beer if you are!  

CAM-ROCK CROSS 

Warm-up on the course with my usual easy lap, tempo lap, and lap with some hard riding where needed. Fast, Roadies course and the log barriers might be ride-able, but not sure if its worth it. 

Masters 45+ 
Call ups and got a great start. Fall into 4th and there is some guy that I don't know just drilling it on the front. Nobody knows him and he corners for garbage so I look around and it seems everybody that matters points-wise is happy to just ride his wheel for a while to see what happens.  Less work for us.... so I do the same and fall in behind Jed. Turns out that was a good call as Mr. Hammerfest totally blows up after the 2nd lap. So Jed, Paul and I are up front alone now playing cat and mouse with each other. One lap to go, I jump Jed up the big hill 1/2 way home and get a little gap on him and we both drop Paul. Jed catches my wheel and I jump again. He catches my wheel again just as we go into the last corner before the finish. I jump hard and go into a hard sprint FTW. It's nice to have that mechanical monkey off my back from the last couple of weeks. Good race, great tactics, and had the legs to back it up today. Jed told me after the race my jumps put him the red zone for the entire last 1/2 half of that lap and he had nothing left because of it. Just the way it was supposed to work. 

Elite 4A 
Call ups put me in the 2nd row, wasn't expecting that. Huge pile up at the start right in front of me which causes me to come to a complete stop. Feeling good about the last race that actually mattered, so I brush it off and just start catching folks. Rode the logs 2 of the laps when clear in front of me, turns out the acceleration up the hill after the logs was worth it when the road was clear. Ended up 7th. Decent race but pretty spent from the Masters Race. 

2012-11-12 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4494833

Champion

Schooley Mill CX Masters 2/4 35+

Started 33 of about 100 or so.  Really focused on going all out on the start.  Race starts on the road and goes up a slight incline before hitting the grass.  Moved up to about 20th by the time we reached the grass.  I figured I was going to blow up early going so hard so fast but was able to maintain that same 18-22 position.  Had a 5 person group working pretty well at one point.  Really wanted to get that top 20 to get at least one point which would move me ahead of a lot of people for starting order.

Just before heading into the bell lap I tried to shift over one too many times and dropped the chain, there went my group + a couple other guys.  It happened right after a technical section and going up a slight rise so I had no where near enough speed to shift back over to the big ring to get the chain back on so I had to hop off which let the group get away + the other 2 guys.  Held that spot for the rest of the race and ended up 26th out of 100. 

Other than the dropped chain, very happy with the result.

Looking at worlds I'm liking the qualifier races are 2 laps, right in my wheelhouse, go all out for 2 laps then collapse.

2012-11-13 3:25 PM

over a barrier
Pile up at the start? You weren't racing with Karl where you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQbdUMt4N68

I'll be at Jingle Cross on Friday night and Saturday, coming back to Chi for our Race on Sunday. I'll try and find tent and that beer
2012-11-13 4:22 PM
in reply to: #4497023

Master
Tosa, WI

running2far - 2012-11-13 3:25 PM Pile up at the start? You weren't racing with Karl where you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQbdUMt4N68I'll be at Jingle Cross on Friday night and Saturday, coming back to Chi for our Race on Sunday. I'll try and find tent and that beer

I will be coming in late on Friday, hopefully in time to watch the pros roll at 7:30 and then will be there early with the Juniors on Saturday.  Racing Masters Open both days so I roll at 11:15 both days......

2012-11-14 11:56 AM

over a barrier
Two Indian Lakes

Day 1: Masters 30+ Open

Fast and dry race, we finished before the rain and lightening/weather delay moved in. Feature about 5 sand pits and a ride able hill if you hit with enough force. Staged second row with points, awful start missed my clip in and panicked and looked down to find it...as the field pulls away. Luckily the first three turns were very wide open and was able to sweep around the outside of each getting back into the fold. The wind was a factor but keep moving from group to group. With three to go I saw a lone ranger up ahead and wanted to bridge up...two laps later still couldn't do it and had started to shut it down and just finish. Into the biggest of the sand pits, I look back and see that the group behind me had nearly made the bridge up...a teammate yells at me "You gotta to go" as he was tucked in second wheel. Turned it back and started riding like I was fire. I needed a gap heading into the hill to preserve my placing, the guy ahead of me was cracking and a dab or two and I managed to bridge up and pass him into the hill, coming down the hill into the last tech section I was on the rivet trying to hold him off when he says 'how's your sprint' oh f......I think, we're gonna have to do this. Out of the tech and onto the pavement, I lead it out, out of the saddle hammer for 250 or so meters, he starts to come around me but I'm able to hold him off....I won the Sprint for 15th. My best result. My brain stopped working and didn't turn after the finish....skidding right into the snow fencing, I fall off the bike coughing and wheezing rolling around in a complete mess. Good times.

Day 2: Nursing some hung over legs, from the beer special. Course was very muddy into a couple of turns, otherwise most of the mud was now just tacky. The sand was a non factory as it was matted down to the rain. Second Row staged. The front row was tougher was some of the Cat1's didn't race Sat. The wind would be a huge factor, we took our tent down with gusts hitting 30+ mph. Good start, got tucked into my group and mainly road mistake free, with the exception of a crash at the top of the hill, the guy in front of me hit the stake and fell on me. Luckily it was narrow and no one could get around, they had to wait for us to unpile. Made some attacks into the wind and changed lines a bunch to try and shed my group....Power was off by about 4% from the day before. Rolled in without sprinting for 23rd on the day.

Next up Jingle CX Friday, Saturday, and back to Chicago to race Sunday.

Edited by running2far 2012-11-14 12:01 PM

2012-11-19 8:55 AM

Master
Tosa, WI

It was a good Cross weekend for me, took 22nd and 19th against a very strong national 45+ 1/2/3/4 field.  Here is a link to the write ups on the elite races and race venue from Cyclocross Magazine for the 3 days of racing at Jingle Cross.  I only raced Sat & Sun  Trust me when I say that the pictures do not do Mr. Krumpit justice!!

Any Crossers out there .....  this race weekend is worth the trip, get it on your calendar for next year! 

Edited by badgerintx 2012-11-19 9:01 AM
2012-11-30 1:07 PM

Master
I might try and ride Booty Cross this weekend in Madison. Anyone else racing?
2012-12-03 8:36 AM

Master
Tosa, WI
BOOTY CROSS 

Different race for me today, I was total defend mode. I just needed to be on the podium and beat Jed. Warmed up, but the legs didn't feel the best. Course was very hilly and damp from the rain the night before. Tough course for the day and I think that works in my favor. 

Call ups and I took the outside lane so I could grab Jed's wheel coming across into the 1st corner. Whistle goes and we are off. I end up in 3rd chair, right where I want to be and settle in. Jed and Tim are both behind me. 

About a 1/2 of a lap in, Jeff decides it is time to play going into the big hill so I jump with him. We get to the hill and he decides to run it and I ride it and then purposely wait for him at the top.  I think he was shocked that I rode it.  On the decent I realize we have gapped the entire group by a lot, so I let Jeff go and settle into my race.  Don't want to blow up today and get caught.  

I rode my race the rest of the day really watching the HR and doing everything I could to keep steady power.  Put in a big kick on the final lap and never got challenged for 2nd and actually started to reel Jeff back in. This podium pretty much seals up the Wisconsin Cup for me for the year.  AWESOME to see the years worth of work come together!!! 

State Championships next Saturday. Might be time to be greedy and take the Cup and the State Title in the same year! 

Edited by badgerintx 2012-12-03 8:37 AM
2012-12-03 12:55 PM
in reply to: #4519067

Master

badgerintx - 2012-12-03 8:36 AM BOOTY CROSS 

Different race for me today, I was total defend mode. I just needed to be on the podium and beat Jed. Warmed up, but the legs didn't feel the best. Course was very hilly and damp from the rain the night before. Tough course for the day and I think that works in my favor. 

Call ups and I took the outside lane so I could grab Jed's wheel coming across into the 1st corner. Whistle goes and we are off. I end up in 3rd chair, right where I want to be and settle in. Jed and Tim are both behind me. 

About a 1/2 of a lap in, Jeff decides it is time to play going into the big hill so I jump with him. We get to the hill and he decides to run it and I ride it and then purposely wait for him at the top.  I think he was shocked that I rode it.  On the decent I realize we have gapped the entire group by a lot, so I let Jeff go and settle into my race.  Don't want to blow up today and get caught.  

I rode my race the rest of the day really watching the HR and doing everything I could to keep steady power.  Put in a big kick on the final lap and never got challenged for 2nd and actually started to reel Jeff back in. This podium pretty much seals up the Wisconsin Cup for me for the year.  AWESOME to see the years worth of work come together!!! 

State Championships next Saturday. Might be time to be greedy and take the Cup and the State Title in the same year! 

Nice job! I will be @ Badger CX! Trying to decide if I am going to race or not.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Cyclocross race reports Rss Feed  

of 4