General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to train to run sprint faster? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-27 11:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam
Subject: How to train to run sprint faster?

I am 62, 5' 10, 165lbs, resting HR of 38. I run the 5k in 33min. Obviously I need to run faster.

Currently I train by running 5K every other day for the last 12 months.

Sorry to ask a newbe question, but hoping others here don't mind helping me.

My question is: How best to train to run sprint tri faster? (hills, longer distance, etc?)

2012-08-27 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4382125

User image

Subject: RE: How to train to run sprint faster?
spearit - 2012-08-27 9:19 PM

My question is: How best to train to run sprint tri faster? (hills, longer distance, etc?)

Yes... running faster will come with more running. And it takes the above mentioned and some speed work as well to get faster all around.  Just running more than the race distance will help a lot and build endurance, then some hill work, tempo work and speed work for training the body and legs to move faster. But over all if all you can do is run more- do it. Pick one day a week and push your run to 4 miles then two weeks later go 4-5 then push it to 6. Take your time and you'll improve as you run more.

John

2012-08-27 11:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Intervals, Intervals, Intervals.

3 minutes at a jog...2 minutes at a sprint.  Repeat 6 times.  You need to train your body to accept the higher speed.  Intervals are the best way to do this.

Hop on a treadmill.  Set at a sprint speed.  Hop on for 1 minute.  Hop off for 1.  Repeat for 30 minutes.

You should notice your "relaxed" runs come at a more comfortable higher speed.

Intervals, Intervals, Intervals.

Edited by lifejustice 2012-08-27 11:59 AM
2012-08-27 12:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX

Speedwork, 10ks with reverse splits and regular brick workouts.

On speed work, once per week/10 days (or whatever your cycle is) do the following:  Run 400 meters around the track at top speed, several times.  Work up to where you can do 4 to 8 sets.   This will train your neuro-muscular system to run several increments faster than anything you will encounter on your 5k.  Once you have the 400 meter down path, go to 800 meter.

Alternating with the track work every cycle, plot out a 2 mile course and run at faster than 5k speed, after a warm up.  This is not easy, but mentally it is easier than a 5k because there is no middle mile to contend with (after 1 mile you're 1/2 way).  It is also easier to push through physically when lagging than when running 3 miles.  This two mile tempo workout provides intensity with an intention to lift you above the 5k pace.

Once per week run a 10k where you start slow, but run the final 2 miles with increasing speed, finishing the last mile at a faster than 5k speed.   This is intended both as a cardio workout (for cardio on 5k you should regularly run 10k), and the final increase in speed serves as a late interval  trainer and confidence booster.  The legs are completely warmed up by mile 4 and its often easier to run at 5k speeds after having run an easy 4 miles than from a standstill.

Finally, for a period of time, finish every ride with a 1 mile (or more) run.   Teach your legs to get to your standalone 5k pace sooner.   Don't try to run fast on these, just run.  Mark the point when your legs no longer feel like clay/jelly/sand and pick up the pace for a few hundred yards before completing that small run.

Edited to change years to yards in the last paragraph.  Running for a few hundred years might work too.

Edited by FranzZemen 2012-08-27 12:21 PM
2012-08-27 12:13 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Before I started tri's my wife and I got back into shape by running 5k's.  I figured If I trained like I could race I'd get faster.  I did but only to a point then I plateaued and promptly started getting lower leg injuries (read too fast too often).  It wasn't until I started HR training after doing the field LT test did I really grasp the concept of running longer, a bit slower, to get faster.  IIRC the general rule is 80%/10%/10% for run training; 80% low intensity (Z1-Z2), 10% moderate (Z3-Z4) intensity and 10% high intensity (Z5).  After three years of Florida winter 13.1 training I feel I respond better with less high and some more low & moderate. 
2012-08-27 12:14 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
You need a solid foundation to start with, so make sure you have a fees months of solid conditioning to start with. After you have that, start adding one session of speed work per week.

2012-08-27 12:40 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Before we start getting all fancy with the intervals here, let's consider that OP runs 5K every other day.  That's 9-12 miles per week.  Step one is to run more.

Having said that, variety is a good thing.  Don't always run the same distance.  Don't always run the same intensity.  Mix it up.  "Mostly easy, sometimes hard".  Be very very careful with the 'sometimes hard' part, especially as injury and recovery are likely to be more of an issue the further you are on the other side of 30 years old.  IMHO, formal structured intervals are not the way to go, at least not yet.  Increase mileage and mix it up.

2012-08-27 1:49 PM
in reply to: #4382319

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
Experior - 2012-08-27 12:40 PM

Before we start getting all fancy with the intervals here, let's consider that OP runs 5K every other day.  That's 9-12 miles per week.  Step one is to run more.

Having said that, variety is a good thing.  Don't always run the same distance.  Don't always run the same intensity.  Mix it up.  "Mostly easy, sometimes hard".  Be very very careful with the 'sometimes hard' part, especially as injury and recovery are likely to be more of an issue the further you are on the other side of 30 years old.  IMHO, formal structured intervals are not the way to go, at least not yet.  Increase mileage and mix it up.

The bolded part says it all. You do not want to add any kind of speedwork until you have raised that weekly mileage. Try to run 4-5 days a week and gradually add to the distance you run. At your age the biggest thing is to stay healthy. If you can gradually add distance you will find that you can run faster at the 5k distance even if you haven't done any speedwork.This approach takes time, but I promise you it gives you a better chance of staying injury free and that will lead to faster run times.

2012-08-27 1:59 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

Michael beat me to it (... as usual). Please don't go out there and just burn up on intervals and hills if your body isn't well prepared for that. From a starting point of ~10 miles per week and a 33-min 5k time, a huge gain can be made simply by 

-- running more often (5-6 days/week), even before adding distance
-- adding some distance; don't just make every run longer, mix up the distances as Michael suggests
-- mix up the speeds a little, but don't worry about going all out; just have some days when you're going a bit harder, other days where you're deliberately holding back

Running is pounding-intensive, and that makes the training approach rather different than swimming or biking. Both because we have to be mindful of avoiding injury by applying increases in training very gradually, and because significant speed gains can be had simply by training the body to better handle the sustained impact forces. 

For some good reading, check out the BarryP 3-2-1 running plan from slowtwitch.com. It is simple and yet extremely effective. (Also summarized, as Michael mentions, as "run lots: mostly easy, sometimes hard".) This approach has kept me (often) off the injured list for the past 18 months, and many other BTers have reported really good results from this general approach. I'm running faster 5k times now than I have in 20+ years, despite doing zero speed work. 

2012-08-27 3:30 PM
in reply to: #4382529

User image

Veteran
Grapevine, TX
TriBoilermaker - 2012-08-27 1:49 PM
Experior - 2012-08-27 12:40 PM

The bolded part says it all. You do not want to add any kind of speedwork until you have raised that weekly mileage. Try to run 4-5 days a week and gradually add to the distance you run. At your age the biggest thing is to stay healthy. If you can gradually add distance you will find that you can run faster at the 5k distance even if you haven't done any speedwork.This approach takes time, but I promise you it gives you a better chance of staying injury free and that will lead to faster run times.

Yes...of course...run more, gradually and ignore my suggestions for now.  I took the fast course to running before triathlons for a couple of years and ended up with an achilles tendonosis.  Luckily I caught it ahead of rupture and was allowed to race through it with lots of PT, stretching, cold therapy, Strassbourg Sock  and the AirCast and wouldn't wish it on anyone.  

But what I can say is that once you're ready, what I wrote worked for me when running about 30 miles a week, and continues to work today although the PR's are further apart.

2012-08-27 11:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam

WOW--lots of great and useful info from everyone here.  Thank you all for taking the time/effort to help a newbe. Smile

At my age (62), should I continue to train every other day?

2012-08-28 6:13 AM
in reply to: #4383533

User image

Master
University Park, MD
spearit - 2012-08-28 12:31 AM

More frequent running/training would be better. But with mixing up the intensities, and mostly low-moderate intensity on the run. It seems counterintuitive that more frequent training helps to reduce injury risk, but for most people it really seems to work. The rationale is that with more frequent but lower intensity stresses on the body, each individual run is a less extreme shock to the system.

2012-08-28 7:41 AM
in reply to: #4383636

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
colinphillips - 2012-08-28 7:13 AM
spearit - 2012-08-28 12:31 AM

More frequent running/training would be better. But with mixing up the intensities, and mostly low-moderate intensity on the run. It seems counterintuitive that more frequent training helps to reduce injury risk, but for most people it really seems to work. The rationale is that with more frequent but lower intensity stresses on the body, each individual run is a less extreme shock to the system.

x2. Just take it easy most of the time. Most new runners go too hard too frequently. Most of them are kids when they do it, so their bodies can mostly handle the less than ideal training. Those of us (raises hand) who started as adults go too hard and sooner or later get injured. (In my case, it was sooner. Then I figured out that less (intensity) allows more (volume), and that's when I started to make gains.) I'd consider adding a short run per week and after a couple of weeks of doing that, add another. Or, as Colin pointed out, if numbers and structure are your thing, have a look at the BarryP 123 plan. Best of luck to you.
2012-08-28 8:32 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Get a training plan. Follow it. You will get faster. There are a ton of good plans here on BT.

If I were you, I would get a very beginner couch to Olympic-style training plan (yes I know you said you are wanting to go faster in a sprint). Try to follow the plan. If at age 62 you need to back off a little bit that is OK but you can train every day. At 33 minutes for a 5K the beginner plan will probably ramp up the work load more appropriately for you than a more advanced plan.

Someone, somewhere, once said that the way to get really fast at a 5K is do a marathon training plan and then run a 5K. You just need to up your training and I guarantee you will get faster (you don't really need to do the marathon plan....)
2012-08-28 9:31 AM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Great to see reasonable advice has taken over the thread; if you want to run fast in endurance events, run more than you are currently running. Almost all of this running should be easy and at this point, I would simply include some strides in two or three of your weekly runs.

Shane
2012-08-29 5:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Guam

So thanks to all the great advice here on BT, I went out yesterday and ramped up my training a little.

After working all night, I increased my run by 2 miles by adding the William Powell (Rickenbacker) bridge to my normal 3mile run.  I'm sure the "Miami Mountain" at 78feet above the water is nothing to most here, but today my legs and feet are hurting this morning. Smile 

The wind was still high (20mph) from hurricane Isaac's passing that my 22mile bike took 1:03.

The sea was so rough yesterday that my normal 30minute OW swim took 48:48, so I think I'll just take today off and work on my gear. 

Again, thanks to all here that helped me with their constructive and helpful replies and advice.

Edited by spearit 2012-08-29 6:01 AM

2012-08-29 7:27 AM
in reply to: #4385574

User image

Master
University Park, MD
spearit - 2012-08-29 6:54 AM

So thanks to all the great advice here on BT, I went out yesterday and ramped up my training a little.

After working all night, I increased my run by 2 miles by adding the William Powell (Rickenbacker) bridge to my normal 3mile run.  I'm sure the "Miami Mountain" at 78feet above the water is nothing to most here, but today my legs and feet are hurting this morning. Smile  

Do consider going back and re-reading the advice that you got here (and on ST when you asked the same question). Folks weren't suggesting that you go out and get your legs beat up. Add some frequency, and perhaps ramp down the intensity while you're increasing the frequency. Adding a bunch of distance so that you then need a couple of days for your legs to recover is a high risk approach. 

Feel free to go kill yourself in a bike workout - your body can recover from that more easily. But moderation is key in building run training.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How to train to run sprint faster? Rss Feed