Without Limits Productions
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 52s
Overall Rank = 102/262
Age Group = m40-44
Age Group Rank = 17/30
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00. Got my cheerleaders in the car and out the door by 4:45 for the two hour drive. Didn't feel great. Didn't drink as much water as I should have.

Also should note my training had kind of fallen apart this past month so my goal was just to go out and have fun.
Event warmup:

Got to transition and found some space left and set up. My last race's transition times were horrible and I wanted to improve.

Got to the water and swam a 300 (or so) yard warm up. Found some familiar faces from my Mastering Masters class. Ran into an old work friend. Then someone chatted me up about my 20 yr old QR wetsuit! Great friendly vibe all around.
Swim
  • 14m 32s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

The water level was pretty low so the beach was clay muck for about 75 yds. Also there is no way the swim was that long (880m). I talked to someone later they heard it was more like 750m. Probably at least a minute (maybe two) from the water to T1.
What would you do differently?:

I would have gone harder at the start but was not feeling great. I found a good pace and stuck with it. Went hard the last 100 yards.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Much faster than my last race. One thing I was determined to do was not sit down. Got my shoes on fast too. This being XTerra I would never leave transition without my shoes on. Was able to buckle my hydration pack on the road before the singletrack started.

I didn't need my gloves. Next time I think I will go gloveless or keep them handy in the pack.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 13s
  • 12.2 miles
  • 11.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I was a bit worried about this course as it is not the typical kind of riding I do. Most Front Range riding is a huge climb followed by a huge descent. This was flat so it was GO FAST ALL THE TIME.

When there finally was a short climb my feeling crappy all morning finally caught up with me. I had to stop or I thought I would puke. I decided to ride a bit easier from there. I could tell my lack of training was catching up with me. What's that saying...I was writing checks my body couldn't cash.

Saw someone hurt in a sandy switchback. Someone was with them. Then I could hear the ambulance and fire truck for the rest of the race. May have seen someone else hurt too but she was standing and a ranger was with her. Hope everyone turns out ok.

More training riding super fast on a flatter trails. The same thing happened to me years ago on RAGBRAI...I'm so used to riding hills that I go too fast and blow up on flats.

Next year I might have a hard tail for races. I love my Ibis Mojo but I think those super fat tires and all that travel take up a lot of efficiency. A hard tail would be perfect for this (but I'd still take my Mojo to Curt Gowdy)
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

I felt this was quick and efficient.

Nothing that I can think of. I really think I did this as best I can. Not sure what the hell I was thinking changing my socks in my last race!
Run
  • 51m 53s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Was not feeling good coming out of T2 but I was determined not to walk. I know if I can keep a shuffle going no matter how slow I will feel better eventually and can pick it up. I was worried if I started walking I would be done for and walk the whole 8k.

Several people passed me right away...I couldn't care...there was nothing I could do. It was starting to get brutal hot. One of the guys who passed me was stopped at the aid station. I slow shuffled past him and he came up behind me. I told him to holler if he wanted to pass and he said he would stay with me if I didn't mind. We chatted a bit. It was a nice distraction. I honestly don't know if I would have made it without him.

At the top we started passing more people and I knew I was doing the best I could at the time. Coming down he took off so I picked it up as fast as I could maintain without my knees hurting. The last 1/2 mile or so was flat so I went as fast as I could muster. I felt strong coming into the slip-n-slide at the finish!

What a way to end a race! My head was pounding from the heat the last 100 yards and as soon as I came out of the water I felt better.

Train more!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and had a Wahoo's fish burrito. Won a $10 gift certificate at the raffle! They were giving away a wetsuit but it involved some quick racing that I did not have in me. My daughter wanted me to go for it but I think I would have puked AND lost.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, training, training

Event comments:

Without Limits Productions continues to put together great races! I'll see them next year.

Last updated: 2012-06-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:32 | 880 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/30
Overall: 112/262
Performance: Average
Suit: 20 yr old QR full wetsuit
Course: No way it was 880...less by at least 100. Out and back. Out was right into the sun but it wasn't too bad. Actually the bright sun in my face made seeing underwater a lot easier so I didn't have to sight as much. The swim was Horsetooth Res which was surrounded by high rocky walls. It was a beautiful place to swim. Would have been better if the water level was higher...I'll get to that later...
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:03:13 | 12.2 miles | 11.58 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/30
Overall: 102/262
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: Two loop smooth, flat, fast single track. Some sandy corners.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:51:53 | 04.97 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/30
Overall: 138/262
Performance: Average
Course: Rocky singletrack with a 500-700 vert gain. Relentless sun...zero shade.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-27 1:17 PM

User image

Indian Hills, CO
Subject: XTERRA Lory Triathlon

2012-08-27 9:33 PM
in reply to: #4382418

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch
Subject: RE: XTERRA Lory Triathlon
Congratulations on overcoming all the challenges, this summer has been brutal with all the heat! Finding a pace-mate on the run sounds like it helped too!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Lory Triathlon Rss Feed