General Discussion Race Reports! » Provincial Championships-Olympic-Valleyfield Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Provincial Championships-Olympic-Valleyfield - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Valleyfield, Quebec
Canada
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 41s
Overall Rank = 26/206
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

This was the last race of a series of 4 for the Quebec cup. You accumulate points each race based on your overall finish. I was in the lead until this race so just needed to finish close to the other guys to win overall. But I wanted to measure my overall fitness.

What I really like about these races is you aren't just racing the clock, you see "regulars" on the course and you can measure yourself against them. It's a course with lots of loops where you cross paths often.

I knew one very strong guy from out of province was there but I don't know what he looks like so could not try and spot him on the course. But he's out of my league anyway so it didn't matter. I was going to use the guys I knew as a reference.

I always get there way too early. Regular routine. Eggs for breakfast and extra large Tim Horton's coffee
Event warmup:

I rode one loop of the bike course (5km) just to be sure it was the same as previous years
Swim
  • 29m 8s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt the swim went well but was really disappointed when I saw the time. I don't work my swim much but still. In retrospect after comparing it to others it wasn't too bad. Maybe the course was long.

I came out of the water about 30 seconds before the guy who is 2nd in points. This is the 3rd race this happens so I guess I had a normal swim. But he normally passes me on the bike so I wanted more than 30 seconds. Oh well.
What would you do differently?:

Push more. I came out of the water way too fresh
I also swim too wide. I am doing more meters than I need to but I hate traffic. In this case I got weeds instead of traffic so not a good plan.
Transition 1
  • 03m 10s
Comments:

Very long transition. Garmin measured 550m

Not much.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 15s
  • 40 kms
  • 36.23 km/hr
Comments:

It's a flat course but lots of narrow 90 and 180 deg turns so it's hard to get a lot of speed. Lots of accelerations.

I rode the first km then did the 180 and coming back I saw I still had the full 30 second lead on the guy I was watching. So the question was what would that lead be after a full lap. Normally he catches me

I felt really good and my target wattage seemed pretty easy.

People were actually really good at moving over when saying "on your left". Only 2 'close calls'.

After the first loop I expected the guy I was wacthing to be close to me. But I saw I was actually pulling ahead of the guy. This pushed me and I was riding smart. The only pain the %^& is one aerobar extension was loose and kept falling everytime I would hit a bump

My HR was were it should be, so I just kept on my target power.

I was slowly pulling away from the guy I was watching so with one lap to go I backed off very slightly, increased my cadence and got ready for the run.

Not much. Well paced
Transition 2
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Was a bit wobbly getting the running shoes on
Run
  • 42m 18s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 14s  min/km
Comments:

It was getting warm and I had not drank and was feeling the thirst. I normally drink very little in an Oly but had to 3 times

I was trying to keep a very consistent pace which I did. Slowest and fastest 1km were with 4 seconds of each other. HR just gradually crept up.

After first turnaround I saw my reference racer and I had a solid minute. I typically run 2 or 3 minutes faster so I knew I had him beat. So I focused on guys ahead of me. One guy has beat me 3 years now (since I started). I had a feeling I was catching him and sure enough every loop the gap was closing. So I focused on him and passed.

probably try and hold a slighly more agressive pace
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I did this race 3 years ago when I started tri and ended up in an ambulance. This always limited me when racing. I am always afraid to 'run out' completely, so I race conservative. But I am learning to push myself more.

I was 12 minutes faster this year. I improved mostly on the bike. swim was 1 min slower, run 2 min faster, bike 12 min faster. Similar conditions but much longer transitions this year (1min slower)

Event comments:

I ended up 2nd, first in Province so I clinched the Quebec cup for my AG. Happy with that.

I applied for a spot for World's but the rules are very ambiguous and contradictory. By provincial rules I get a spot. By Federal rules I may not. We will see.

Last updated: 2011-12-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:08 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/206
Performance: Average
Suit: No wetsuit
Course: 2 loops - 750m rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:10
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:15 | 40 kms | 36.23 km/hr
Wind: Little
Course: 8x5km loop. 5 90 degree turns, 1 180. Part of the raods were recently paved but the rest are not very good.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:42:18 | 10 kms | 04m 14s  min/km
Course: It wa 4x2.5 km loop. Again with a turn around so you could see people you knew.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-29 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Provincial Championships-Olympic-Valleyfield

2012-08-29 12:44 PM
in reply to: #4385685

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-08-30 10:11 AM

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Subject: RE: Provincial Championships-Olympic-Valleyfield
Well done!  Congrats.
2012-08-30 10:19 AM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Great job Marc!!!!!
2012-08-30 12:06 PM

Master
Toronto
Bronze member
Marc, awesome job - it seems you are balancing your competitive side with the side that it monitoring your effort really well! congrats on the win!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Provincial Championships-Olympic-Valleyfield Rss Feed