General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Raleigh : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-05-30 10:23 AM
in reply to: fgump

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Raleigh : Official Thread
Does anyone have an update on water temperature?  I'm planning on wetsuits not being an option...not sure what I'll do it it is optional since I've never done a race without one, but don't want to unnecessarily overheat/dehydrate in the first half an hour.

2013-05-30 10:41 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by klassman

Does anyone have an update on water temperature?  I'm planning on wetsuits not being an option...not sure what I'll do it it is optional since I've never done a race without one, but don't want to unnecessarily overheat/dehydrate in the first half an hour.

corps of engineers still reporting 74... i would have thought it would have gone up by now.

if you swim with a wetsuit when the temp is over 76.1 you get your time removed from the final standings and are removed from the list of finishers.

Edited by Clempson 2013-05-30 10:44 AM
2013-05-30 10:54 AM
in reply to: Clempson

Anyone know if they are going to have kids activities at the Ironman Village for families that are waiting for their athletes?
2013-05-30 1:55 PM
in reply to: cashonly

User image

Regular
2013-05-31 8:33 AM
in reply to: klassman

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by klassmanThank you for this list.  Very helpful for those of us who haven't seen the course.  RE: Hill entering T2.  Is it something I'll be able to see during check-in?  I'm wondering about taking my feet out of my shoes  and pedaling with shoes clipped in but feet on top of the shoes.  If it is too steep/long, I will need to leave feet in the shoes.

Here's a photo of the last hill coming into T2, looking backwards towards the course.

(IMG_2141.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_2141.jpg (31KB - 74 downloads)
2013-05-31 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: Updates from Registration
I worked at registration from 11:30-4 today. Lots of energy down there! Didn't see Laura Bennett, but had my eyes open for her!

Great deal (IMHO) on a backpack w/Ironman 70.3 Raleigh logo...$59.95. Athlete tee w/all entrant names on it in the shape of M-dot 70.3 is $26 or so. Water bottles $5.95.

The official word I got, from Judy at the WTC desk, is that you can lay out your gear in T1 AND T2, unlike what the athlete guide said. Sounds like there will be some bike support in T1, but pumps might be scarce.

Three bags; green for morning clothes, blue to put bike gear in pre-race, and swim gear in post-swim, red to put run gear in pre-race. No word on if your bike gear has to go in the red bag before you depart T2, but I highly doubt that's required.

Confirmed the last wave (or waves) will be wetsuit waves if it's not legal. Water temp was 75 this morning at 8am per Corps of Engineers.

T2 is almost set up, just have a few cars to tow.

That's all I can think of for now. Hydrate and carb up tonight!

2013-05-31 6:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Va Beach
Subject: RE: Updates from Registration
Thanks for the update, I just checked in but missed the meeting. So bike and run gear does not have to be in bags like IM, that's good. Most floor pumps will not fit in morning clothes bag, you say that's ok to bring anyway?
2013-05-31 6:24 PM
in reply to: godekjames

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by godekjames

Thanks for the update, I just checked in but missed the meeting. So bike and run gear does not have to be in bags like IM, that's good. Most floor pumps will not fit in morning clothes bag, you say that's ok to bring anyway?

I would NOT bring a floor pump. Use bike tech if needed.
2013-05-31 9:30 PM

User image

Concord, NC
Gold member
Do we have to check-in downtown first before dropping off our bike or can we drop our bikes off at Jordan Lake before going downtown? We're coming from Concord, NC and don't want to make an extra trip if we don't have to.
2013-05-31 10:31 PM
in reply to: wsandford

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Originally posted by wsandford

Do we have to check-in downtown first before dropping off our bike or can we drop our bikes off at Jordan Lake before going downtown? We're coming from Concord, NC and don't want to make an extra trip if we don't have to.

I'm not sure officially, but I would think you'd need to register downtown first to get your bike stickers and such so you can prep your bike up before checking it in. I think you also need the wristband in order to enter T1 area Good luck.
2013-06-01 1:17 AM
in reply to: wsandford

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by wsandford

You must check in at the Convention Center first. You can set up T2 while you're there.

2013-06-01 5:44 AM
in reply to: #4389897

User image

So when I checked in yesterday I forgot to ask about how T2 is set up. Does anyone know if it will be like B2B where you get your run bag from a rack or from a volunteer or if it is going to be more traditional where you run it, rack your bike, have a set area with your run gear, etc?
2013-06-01 6:52 AM
in reply to: Ubear97

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
From what they told us, you run bag will be at your bike rack spot in T2. We will enter T2, take our bike to our rack spot to get our bag. Put your bike gear into your run bag and leave it right at your bike rack spot before heading out for the run.
2013-06-01 8:37 AM
in reply to: Ubear97

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by Ubear97

So when I checked in yesterday I forgot to ask about how T2 is set up. Does anyone know if it will be like B2B where you get your run bag from a rack or from a volunteer or if it is going to be more traditional where you run it, rack your bike, have a set area with your run gear, etc?

you don't have to use the bag at all from what was said at the meeting. only to put stuff in if you are leaving your gear at T2 overnight tonight and laying it out in the morning, or if you want to pack up all your bike gear before heading out for the run. i think the only benefit of this is that it allows someone else with you to retrieve your bike/bike gear for you using the tickets included in your race packet.
2013-06-01 8:39 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by godekjames

the guy with the microphone said it was ok and the RD looked kind of annoyed. they added if you want to bring your pump you need to mark it very well with your race number since it won't fit in a bag.

im just going to use a pump from one of the tech's out there.

Edited by Clempson 2013-06-01 8:42 AM
2013-06-02 9:18 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Regular
The ice and volunteers were lifesavers today. I'll try to get a race report up tomorrow.Thanks for all the tips, links and intel. We got partway home but pulled off at a hotel due to rain.How did your day go? I hope there were a lot of PRs.I thought the swim was a touch slow (don't know why.)The bike was fast especially the first 30 miles. The run was brutal.Great race, course and organization.

2013-06-04 3:20 PM
in reply to: klassman

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
Originally posted by klassman
  • How did your day go? I hope there were a lot of PRs.

• I set a PR. Of course, it was my first HIM, so that was the easy part. My swim was good for me (without a wetsuit). I think there was a strong headwind on the back section of the swim, causing speeds/times to be slower. I loved the first 30 miles of the bike, and thought the final 26 miles were challenging but not unfair... just good rollers. And the run, well, that is where my day went kaput. I ended up with large blisters on both of my feet, which caused me to stop running at about mile 4. I decided to walk it in (with the occasional jog down the hills). I did finish, but I missed my goal time by a LARGE margin. I blame wet socks/feet for the blisters (I poured lots of water over me to keep cool). Live and learn. I will beat this PR next time!

I am thinking of tackling the Finish Strong Half in September - heck, I am already trained for one... might as well keep the engine running through the Fall. :-)

- Adam
    2013-07-12 2:51 PM
    in reply to: abreakey

User image

Expert
    Apex, NC
    Subject: 2014 Registration opens 7/15/13 at noon
    Hey gang-
    2014 IM70.3 Raleigh registration opens this coming Monday at noon (7/15/13)!
    2013-08-02 9:09 AM

Subject: RE: 2014 Registration opens 7/15/13 at noon
    Can anyone offer an opinion on this race for a 70.3 first timer?

I've completed 2 sprints this year, with an additional one coming in October, and am running a half marathon in November.

My goal after starting back up the 1st of the year was to start gearing towards longer distance, get an Olympic or two under my belt and look for a middle of the year 70.3

I'm in the Florida panhandle so there aren't that many really close options for that distance...other than Augusta, but that isn't until September.

Thanks!
    2013-08-02 9:40 AM
    in reply to: JB3

User image

Expert
    Apex, NC
    Originally posted by JB3

I've completed 2 sprints this year, with an additional one coming in October, and am running a half marathon in November.

My goal after starting back up the 1st of the year was to start gearing towards longer distance, get an Olympic or two under my belt and look for a middle of the year 70.3

I'm in the Florida panhandle so there aren't that many really close options for that distance...other than Augusta, but that isn't until September.

Thanks!
    I think there were many 70.3 first-timers out there. This was my 3rd half-iron distance, and 4th race at or above that distance (did a 100-mile race a few years back, highly recommended!)

It can be hot here in early June. This year it was wetsuit legal (barely) but don't count on it for next. The bike course may be similar to what you see in the panhandle. It's not a killer, but is a little tougher 2nd half than first.

The run was a little tough in the middle, with some hills and a loop to do at a tough time, but it was well-supported.

I'm from Raleigh originally, but was impressed with how well the city embraced the race (for the most part). The logistics were well done, there's plenty to do in downtown Raleigh.
    2013-08-02 9:46 AM
    in reply to: JB3

User image

Concord, NC
    Gold member
    Raleigh has some serious hill work and coming from FLA that will be a challenge for you. My only regret with the Raleigh 70.3 last year was not doing nearly enough brick work off the bike. Between now and then, try to work in some half marathons that involve hills and every chance you get run after every bike ride. Also, dial-in your nutrition. We have a few members using Generation UCAN and others use INIFINIT. Both are good products and there are many others, but you need to start experimenting now on your training workouts so you don't have any surprises on race day. I'm doing the Orlando 70.3 next April, much flatter.

2013-08-02 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    In front of computer when typing this.
    Originally posted by fgump

Originally posted by JB3

Thanks!
    I think there were many 70.3 first-timers out there. This was my 3rd half-iron distance, and 4th race at or above that distance (did a 100-mile race a few years back, highly recommended!)

It can be hot here in early June. This year it was wetsuit legal (barely) but don't count on it for next. The bike course may be similar to what you see in the panhandle. It's not a killer, but is a little tougher 2nd half than first.

The run was a little tough in the middle, with some hills and a loop to do at a tough time, but it was well-supported.

I'm from Raleigh originally, but was impressed with how well the city embraced the race (for the most part). The logistics were well done, there's plenty to do in downtown Raleigh.

I have rewritten fgumps post with my modification:

It is almost guaranteed to be hot here in early June (average temp is 82 at that time of year). This year it was not wetsuit legal but the RD made it wetsuit legal at the last minute (grin). No telling what might happen next year. The bike course is not a Alp d-huez but it is a lot tougher 2nd half than first.

The run was tough throughout, with some hills and a loop to do at a tough time, but it was well-supported.

I'm not from Raleigh originally, but was impressed with how well the city embraced the race (for the most part). The logistics were well done, there's plenty to do in downtown Raleigh.

I signed up immediately when possible to do this one again- its a really great race (aside form the painful parts, so from about the start of the bike onwards)...
    2013-08-02 10:12 AM
    in reply to: louiskie

User image

Expert
    Apex, NC
    Originally posted by louiskie

Originally posted by JB3

Thanks!

I have rewritten fgumps post with my modification:

It is almost guaranteed to be hot here in early June (average temp is 82 at that time of year). This year it was not wetsuit legal but the RD made it wetsuit legal at the last minute (grin). No telling what might happen next year. The bike course is not a Alp d-huez but it is a lot tougher 2nd half than first.

The run was tough throughout, with some hills and a loop to do at a tough time, but it was well-supported.

I'm not from Raleigh originally, but was impressed with how well the city embraced the race (for the most part). The logistics were well done, there's plenty to do in downtown Raleigh.

I signed up immediately when possible to do this one again- its a really great race (aside form the painful parts, so from about the start of the bike onwards)...
    LOL louiskie...
    2013-08-07 7:19 PM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by louiskie
    Originally posted by JB3 Can anyone offer an opinion on this race for a 70.3 first timer? I've completed 2 sprints this year, with an additional one coming in October, and am running a half marathon in November. My goal after starting back up the 1st of the year was to start gearing towards longer distance, get an Olympic or two under my belt and look for a middle of the year 70.3 I'm in the Florida panhandle so there aren't that many really close options for that distance...other than Augusta, but that isn't until September. Thanks!
    I think there were many 70.3 first-timers out there. This was my 3rd half-iron distance, and 4th race at or above that distance (did a 100-mile race a few years back, highly recommended!) It can be hot here in early June. This year it was wetsuit legal (barely) but don't count on it for next. The bike course may be similar to what you see in the panhandle. It's not a killer, but is a little tougher 2nd half than first. The run was a little tough in the middle, with some hills and a loop to do at a tough time, but it was well-supported. I'm from Raleigh originally, but was impressed with how well the city embraced the race (for the most part). The logistics were well done, there's plenty to do in downtown Raleigh.
    I have rewritten fgumps post with my modification: It is almost guaranteed to be hot here in early June (average temp is 82 at that time of year). This year it was not wetsuit legal but the RD made it wetsuit legal at the last minute (grin). No telling what might happen next year. The bike course is not a Alp d-huez but it is a lot tougher 2nd half than first. The run was tough throughout, with some hills and a loop to do at a tough time, but it was well-supported. I'm not from Raleigh originally, but was impressed with how well the city embraced the race (for the most part). The logistics were well done, there's plenty to do in downtown Raleigh. I signed up immediately when possible to do this one again- its a really great race (aside form the painful parts, so from about the start of the bike onwards)...
    LOL louiskie...

I think this was a great race for first timers.  On the downside, the point to point bike ride and two transitions can be intimidating for people but, the WTC people and race director had things running very smoothly.  I've seen that sort of set up become a real mess.  Not here.  It worked well.

The swim course is a triangle which is about as good as you can get Re: first timers who like to stay close to shore.

The bike course had hills, but no mountains.  And, if you came with a standard cassette I'm sure you had plenty of gears to spin over anything on the course.

The run course was challenging but mentally it was a big lift not to have to do loops.  I have talked to a lot of people new to the sport who complain about having to "go past the finish line for my second loop".  It is mentally taxing to do 2-3 loop run course.  

My wife was one of the first timers in 2013.  (She did a 7:45)  It was her first triathlon.  She walked the whole run course due to a back problem and finished with a smile.  She only talked about the beautiful scenery and supportive crowds and the friends she made on the run course going her speed.  She didn't have complaints about the difficulty.  I use her as an example because I think she has a pretty reasonable approach to some of the more crazy courses I've done.  (i.e. She thinks I'm nutso.)

I say go for it.  It is a great city that you get to actually see.  It drew a strong pro field due to the scheduling even though it was an inaugural year.  The logistics were well done.  There were fans throughout the bike and the run courses.  It doesn't get better than that.

New Thread
    General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Raleigh : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 7