General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Raleigh : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2013-05-15 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4743286

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Raleigh : Official Thread
kp73 - 2013-05-15 9:05 AM

I haven't had a chance to ride the bike route yet. Hoping to be able to ride at least the middle section this weekend.

Can anyone tell me how the route compares - hill wise - to Ebeneezer Church Rd over by Umstead Park? My bike route usually involves a few out and back from downtown Raleigh to the end of Ebeneezer Church Rd.

The IM 70.3 course is WAY EASIER.

I did the first 26miles a week ago and plan to do the mid 15 on Sunday. The out section from the lake isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be... it does have some short down hill bits to break up the climb out. I have done the triangle sprint tri [mid section of Avent Ferry and New Hill Holleman] which is a reverse of the IM course and the section of Avent Ferry is decent ascent.

If you can handle the climb on Ebeneezer Church from Crabtree Creek north towards Glenwood, you will have no issues with the course.

Edited by bullyboy 2013-05-15 9:53 AM

2013-05-15 4:06 PM
in reply to: #4743286

User image

Regular
I don't know Ebeneezer Church Road either. But I've ridden the entire course once and another time from the start to the Farmers Market on Lake Wheeler. Here's my take...

Ride out of transition is not as bad as the elevation profile but the road is rough, which adds some challenge.

Yes, Pea Ridge is a bit of a hill, but not the most significant on the course and at the time of day you ride it, will be mostly shaded and still relatively cool in temps.

The climb to Avent Ferry is a prelude of what's to come later.

The climb on the bypass is tough because you're riding on the shoulder of a highway at a point in the day where the heat is going to start taking it's toll. There will be vehicular traffic I'm sure adding to the stress and heat.

The most significant climbs start after turning onto Optimist Farm Road. Plus there's a descent on Optimist Farm Road with a short twisty section which for me at least requires slowing down.

There's a nice hill on Lake Wheeler Road climbing up as you pass the lake. No shade and at a time of day with traffic I'm sure.

Another climb after Yates Mill.

As you get closer to Raleigh on Lake Wheeler Road, the road surface gets rougher.

There are railroad tracks to cross just past the Farmer's Market.

Overall, I think the bike course is easy until the Bypass where heat and hills will take their toll. Also, once you get off the bypass, there's very little if any shoulder on any part of the course. As I'm sure the roads will not be closed to traffic, I think older people in later swim waves are going to have some challenges on these roads passing people who didn't know what they were getting into. I've come across a lot of people with less than a year of triathlon experience doing this as their first half.

It's going to be an interesting first-year race.
2013-05-19 4:36 PM
in reply to: bullyboy

User image

New user

Raleigh, NC
The first 30 miles is relatively easy. Flat with some moderate climbs. Once you pass Holly Springs on Holly Springs Road and the Optimist Farm, you will hit a series of steep up and down rollers that are quite difficult. After that on Lake Wheeler Road there are a couple decent climbs.
2013-05-23 3:28 PM
in reply to: tombones

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
You all may know this already, but I wanted to pass this info along. I had sent this email to WTC:

May 20 12:39 pm (CDT):
Good afternoon. What concentration will you be mixing the Powerade Perform on the run course? We’re looking ahead at the projected long-range forecast, and seeing a high of 94 out there.
Thank you,
Bill

Here's the response I received today:
Erin Erickson, May 23 03:25 pm (CDT):
Hi Bill-
Thanks for reaching out regarding this. The Perform that is provided on the course is not a mixed powder solution that you can purchase online, rather, it is a made and bottled beverage! We will be sure to have plenty of it, along with water, ice, sponges and what not. Please let me know if you have additional questions and we look forward to seeing you soon!
Best wishes,
Erin Erickson
Coordinator, Athlete Services
World Triathlon Corporation

2013-05-25 8:57 AM
in reply to: japarker24

User image

New user
Salisbury
Does anyone know where I can find a list of Pro's who are racing Thx
2013-05-26 11:34 AM
in reply to: kenbert61

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
The list of pros is on the top of the bib list:

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/73006752a83045e68c38527a65947c69/ral...

My number is 1111, is that lucky? Good luck to all!

2013-05-27 6:58 AM
in reply to: keyone

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
To the "out of towners" coming in for Ironman 70.3 Raleigh, some of the folks local to Raleigh/Cary/Apex are gathering for lunch at 12:30 at a spot called Tyler's Taproom.

It's in Apex, 13.1 miles (how convenient) from bike check-in. Please feel free to join us! We'll probably be there from 12:30 until 2:30 or so. I personally am planning to head out to Jordan Lake after lunch to check in my bike.

Here's a link to that thread.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Here's the address for the restaurant:
Tyler's Taproom
1483 Beaver Creek Commons Dr
Apex, NC 27502
Phone: (919) 355-1380

Google map from Tyler's to Vista Point:
http://goo.gl/maps/UZklw
2013-05-27 7:11 AM
in reply to: kenbert61

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
I put together a few notes regarding road conditions from a safety POV.

North Pea Ridge (leaving T1) is rough and fairly narrow. Watch your water bottles

Smooth across US Highway 64, but beware of expansion joints at the bridges.

Smooth on Beaver Creek Road, but beware some dips near the right shoulder, and gravel at the Ebenezer Church Boat Ramp.

Pea Ridge Road is smooth until you cross over US Highway 1 (4 lane), then it gets really bumpy from years of truck traffic. It will shake your bottles out!

Old Highway US1 (2-lane) is in good shape, but beware track crossing shortly after turning onto it.

New Hill-Holleman Road is in decent shape, but beware track crossing shortly after turning onto it, as well as bad road surface near the bridge over US Highway 1 (4 lane). Good thereafter.

Avent Ferry Road is in good shape all the way up to Highway 55. Beware a BIG bump just past the first stoplight you come through on Avent Ferry; it will flat you.

Highway 55 is in good shape all the way up to Sunset Lake.

Sunset Lake; beware there is a big section of holes at the bottom of the only big downhill on that road. Stay far right or far left in the lane as you descend the hill. Also beware of sketchy shoulder conditions and some linear holes that will suck your wheel in.

Optimist Farm is in good shape.

Lake Wheeler is in good shape. One section of tracks to cross at the State Farmers’ Market. Also, beware a big hole in the center of the road at the intersection with South Saunders Street. This is a very fast downhill section so choose your line well in advance of the intersection.

Finally, it’s short, but there’s a mean little hill just before you enter T2, so plan accordingly gearing wise.
2013-05-27 8:27 AM
in reply to: fgump

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Thanks for this, Bill! So glad you are doing all the work for me ...esp since I could not

"Avent Ferry Road is in good shape all the way up to Highway 55. Beware a BIG bump just past the first stoplight you come through on Avent Ferry; it will flat you. "

Will I see the above bump as I approach?
2013-05-27 8:36 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by keyone

Thanks for this, Bill! So glad you are doing all the work for me ...esp since I could not

"Avent Ferry Road is in good shape all the way up to Highway 55. Beware a BIG bump just past the first stoplight you come through on Avent Ferry; it will flat you. "

Will I see the above bump as I approach?
Yes, just don't hog the white line, stay about 2-3 feet to the left of it, and you'll be fine. I've hit it when riding with friends and not watching where I was going. It's like 3 inches high! Fortunately did not flat, but it knocked my hands off the handlebars!
2013-05-27 8:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Apex, NC
I assume they will be providing the drink in bike bottles? I have been in races (in fact an IM organized race a couple of years ago) where they gave out actual drink bottles like you buy in a store. They don't fit well in bike bottle holders.

2013-05-28 9:41 AM

User image

Concord, NC
Gold member
A little off the topic here but what are the chances of the water temp being 78 degrees or lower next Sunday?
2013-05-28 10:06 AM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by fgump I put together a few notes regarding road conditions from a safety POV. North Pea Ridge (leaving T1) is rough and fairly narrow. Watch your water bottles Smooth across US Highway 64, but beware of expansion joints at the bridges. Smooth on Beaver Creek Road, but beware some dips near the right shoulder, and gravel at the Ebenezer Church Boat Ramp. Pea Ridge Road is smooth until you cross over US Highway 1 (4 lane), then it gets really bumpy from years of truck traffic. It will shake your bottles out! Old Highway US1 (2-lane) is in good shape, but beware track crossing shortly after turning onto it. New Hill-Holleman Road is in decent shape, but beware track crossing shortly after turning onto it, as well as bad road surface near the bridge over US Highway 1 (4 lane). Good thereafter. Avent Ferry Road is in good shape all the way up to Highway 55. Beware a BIG bump just past the first stoplight you come through on Avent Ferry; it will flat you. Highway 55 is in good shape all the way up to Sunset Lake. Sunset Lake; beware there is a big section of holes at the bottom of the only big downhill on that road. Stay far right or far left in the lane as you descend the hill. Also beware of sketchy shoulder conditions and some linear holes that will suck your wheel in. Optimist Farm is in good shape. Lake Wheeler is in good shape. One section of tracks to cross at the State Farmers’ Market. Also, beware a big hole in the center of the road at the intersection with South Saunders Street. This is a very fast downhill section so choose your line well in advance of the intersection. Finally, it’s short, but there’s a mean little hill just before you enter T2, so plan accordingly gearing wise.

Thank you for this list.  Very helpful for those of us who haven't seen the course.  RE: Hill entering T2.  Is it something I'll be able to see during check-in?  I'm wondering about taking my feet out of my shoes  and pedaling with shoes clipped in but feet on top of the shoes.  If it is too steep/long, I will need to leave feet in the shoes.

2013-05-28 10:07 AM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by fgump I put together a few notes regarding road conditions from a safety POV. North Pea Ridge (leaving T1) is rough and fairly narrow. Watch your water bottles Smooth across US Highway 64, but beware of expansion joints at the bridges. Smooth on Beaver Creek Road, but beware some dips near the right shoulder, and gravel at the Ebenezer Church Boat Ramp. Pea Ridge Road is smooth until you cross over US Highway 1 (4 lane), then it gets really bumpy from years of truck traffic. It will shake your bottles out! Old Highway US1 (2-lane) is in good shape, but beware track crossing shortly after turning onto it. New Hill-Holleman Road is in decent shape, but beware track crossing shortly after turning onto it, as well as bad road surface near the bridge over US Highway 1 (4 lane). Good thereafter. Avent Ferry Road is in good shape all the way up to Highway 55. Beware a BIG bump just past the first stoplight you come through on Avent Ferry; it will flat you. Highway 55 is in good shape all the way up to Sunset Lake. Sunset Lake; beware there is a big section of holes at the bottom of the only big downhill on that road. Stay far right or far left in the lane as you descend the hill. Also beware of sketchy shoulder conditions and some linear holes that will suck your wheel in. Optimist Farm is in good shape. Lake Wheeler is in good shape. One section of tracks to cross at the State Farmers’ Market. Also, beware a big hole in the center of the road at the intersection with South Saunders Street. This is a very fast downhill section so choose your line well in advance of the intersection. Finally, it’s short, but there’s a mean little hill just before you enter T2, so plan accordingly gearing wise.

Thank you for this list.  Very helpful for those of us who haven't seen the course.  RE: Hill entering T2.  Is it something I'll be able to see during check-in?  I'm wondering about taking my feet out of my shoes  and pedaling with shoes clipped in but feet on top of the shoes.  If it is too steep/long, I will need to leave feet in the shoes.

2013-05-28 10:18 AM
in reply to: klassman

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by klassman

I'm sure you can go check it out. It's not "bad", but it's definitely worthy of some effort. I am not that proficient at pedaling with feet on top of shoes, and after 56 I would not chance it. For me personally, I would stay clipped and strapped in. I'll see if I can link a google streetview.

http://goo.gl/maps/WNaLV

If you can see this, this is the steepest portion of the hill you climb just before T2.
2013-05-28 10:21 AM
in reply to: wsandford

User image

Lexington, SC
Temp today shows 74 degrees and I believe the temps are supposed to be in the mid to uppers 80's this week so it may push the temp out of the legal limit but not to the non-wetsuit limit.

http://epec.saw.usace.army.mil/dailyrep.txt

2013-05-28 10:21 AM
in reply to: wsandford

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by wsandford

A little off the topic here but what are the chances of the water temp being 78 degrees or lower next Sunday?

By "next Sunday", do you mean 6/2 or 6/9?

We have a whole thread in the NC forum about water temp...it's 74 today, has been as high as 75. My prediction is 76.9.

But for wetsuit legality in WTC, it needs to be below 76.1.
2013-05-28 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by fgump

North Pea Ridge (leaving T1) is rough and fairly narrow. Watch your water bottles

Pea Ridge Road is smooth until you cross over US Highway 1 (4 lane), then it gets really bumpy from years of truck traffic. It will shake your bottles out!

how likely is this? are you just trying to reiterate that the road is really rough or is it really that bad? i might have to swap cages....
2013-05-28 2:19 PM
in reply to: Clempson

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Originally posted by Clempson

how likely is this? are you just trying to reiterate that the road is really rough or is it really that bad? i might have to swap cages....
The first section leaving T1 should not be a problem. You're not going fast enough to generate a lot of vibrations to shake them out. However, the section on Pea Ridge about 15 miles out of T1 is where it is really bumpy. If you move far right, on the white line, or left of the center of the lane, more towards the double yellow, it is smoother. But staying in the bumps, at speed, with loose-fitting cages, have shaken one of mine out. Don't mean to scare anyone, just my n=1 experience (having ridden this road for the past 8-9 years).
2013-05-28 2:26 PM

User image

Concord, NC
Gold member
Yes, 6/2 was the date I was referring to, thanks for the helpful info.
2013-05-28 10:06 PM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC

The first section leaving T1 should not be a problem. You're not going fast enough to generate a lot of vibrations to shake them out. However, the section on Pea Ridge about 15 miles out of T1 is where it is really bumpy. If you move far right, on the white line, or left of the center of the lane, more towards the double yellow, it is smoother. But staying in the bumps, at speed, with loose-fitting cages, have shaken one of mine out. Don't mean to scare anyone, just my n=1 experience (having ridden this road for the past 8-9 years).

How many miles (*approx) from T1 to the really bumpy business where we might lose our water bottles? I wonder if I can rig something up to hold them in place with tape utntil I really need them.

2013-05-29 6:36 AM

User image

Expert
Greenville, SC
Originally posted by keyone

How many miles (*approx) from T1 to the really bumpy business where we might lose our water bottles? I wonder if I can rig something up to hold them in place with tape utntil I really need them.

about 15 miles out of T1
2013-05-29 7:58 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC

Hi Carol-
I wouldn't worry too much about them. After you cross over the bridge over 4-lane US1 on Pea Ridge, just be aware that the road will get bumpy for about 1-2 miles before you get to the fire station down at Moncure. Just stay far right in the lane, close to the white line, or more left of center of the lane if there's no traffic behind you (avoid a position penalty). Then it's fine. It's just rough there because you're down in the aerobars moving along pretty quickly.

I wouldn't tape the bottles in. Just make sure to reach back and seat them fully after crossing over the aforementioned bridge.

2013-05-29 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
Subject: Timelapse of the course
This is way too fast to get any detail, but it does give some perspective of the roads we'll be own. Note; the run course is not fully shown. It only shows it up to mile 4, then reverses. There are another 5 miles on greenway that it misses.

http://www.wral.com/entertainment/out_and_about/video/12490880/#/vi...

2013-05-29 1:49 PM
in reply to: klassman

User image

Expert
Apex, NC
More press:

http://www.raleighnc.gov/business/news/content/CorNews/Articles/Iro...

Ironman 70.3 Triathlon to Impact Traffic Across Raleigh
News posted May 29, 2013 - 9:00 am
Road races across Raleigh are a common occurrence almost every weekend. From 5K races through Downtown Raleigh to marathons that involve sprints through Umstead Park, every section of the City is used to the site of groups of runners competing. As well as fostering a competitive spirit and offering great athletic opportunities, the races generate considerable income from hotel visits and meals eaten in local restaurants by out-of-towners.

On June 2, however, a unique race will be coming to the Triangle. The Ironman 70.3 Raleigh will be taking place in Chatham and Wake counties. More than 2,700 people have registered for the event. The age of the registrants ranges from 18 years to 76 year old. Fifteen countries will be represented. More than 1,300 of the racers will be from North Carolina with more than 1,000 coming from 43 different states. The top 50 performers will qualify for the Ironman 70.3 world championship in Nevada.
“Having Ironman come to Raleigh is a thrill,” said Raleigh Mayor Nancy McFarlane. “It is such a positive event. While the economic impact is significant, we shouldn’t overlook the opportunity to share Raleigh with the participants from 15 countries and 43 states, and from teenagers to those in retirement. What a fabulous way to showcase our great city while making friends with a diverse group of enthusiastic athletes.”

Ironman competitions feature a race combining swimming, bicycling, and running. The Ironman 70.3 Raleigh race will begin at 7 a.m. at Jordan Lake with a 1.2 mile swim. After completing the swim, the racers will then begin a 56-mile bike race that will carry them into Downtown Raleigh. The riders will enter Raleigh’s city limits on Lake Wheeler Road at Tryon Road. They will travel north and then turn left on South Saunders Street and then turn right on South Street. A transition area will be in place between Salisbury Street and Wilmington Street for the final leg – a 13.1 mile half-marathon.

The runners will:

Turn left on South Wilmington Street (in the left lane);Turn left on Edenton Street;
Turn left on South Salisbury Street;
Turn right on Hillsborough Street;
Turn right into main entrance of Meredith College;
Turn around in front of Administration Building;
Turn right onto the greenway trail;
Follow the greenway trail around Meredith College and cross I-440 using the pedestrian bridge;
Make a u-turn at a designated point on the grounds of the North Carolina Art Museum;
Turn right on the main drive at Meredith College;
Turn left on Hillsborough Street;Turn right on Salisbury Street;
Turn left on Morgan Street;
Turn right on Fayetteville Street and then finish in front of the Marriott Hotel.
Police will be present to direct traffic along the route. The race is expected to impact traffic in Raleigh from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
“This is a tremendous event for the City of Raleigh and the entire region,” said Scott Dupree, executive director of the Greater Raleigh Sports Alliance. “Ironman is one of the most well-respected and highly-regarded brands in the sports event industry, with a long track record of staging successful and well-run events all over the world. This marks the first time an Ironman event has ever been held in the Carolinas, and we are thrilled to host it right here in Raleigh.”

Mr. Dupree added that the economic impact on the Triangle will be significant. More than 5,000 visitors are expected.
"Those visitors will generate more than $2 million in direct visitor spending and 4,500 hotel room nights, while also enjoying our restaurants along with all of the visitor and cultural attractions that Raleigh has to offer,” he said. “The branding component should not be overlooked. Greater Raleigh is on a pretty good roll in terms of positioning itself as a premier destination city for major events. It started with NHL All-Star Weekend in 2011, and now in succession we are preparing for Ironman and the International Bluegrass Music Association in 2013, followed by the NCAA men’s basketball tournament and the Rock ‘n’ Roll Raleigh Marathon in 2014. And more specifically, Ironman helps to brand Raleigh as a healthy, active destination on an international level.”

For more information, contact
Brian Myrick, Race Director, 864-404-8389
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman 70.3 Raleigh : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 7