2012-08-31 1:02 PM

Subject: Kurt Kinetic Power Meter

2012-08-31 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4390109

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Kurt Kinetic Power Meter

It looks alright, but unless you are just a tech head the cheaper (old) version that's under $100 would be the way I went.

Power is just a #. So long as it's not all over the place (that is, you can reliably compare the numbers from one ride to another, regardless of whether they read high, low or spot on) then you are only paying more $ for more pizzaz. IMHO of course.

2012-08-31 1:30 PM

User image

This thing looks like a significant upgrade to the previous regular sensor.  It looks like they can now measure instantaneous power (probably by looking at rate of speed deltas along the power curve), so makes it a lot better for short quick intervals and more accurate for 1s/5s/10s peak power.  Definitely more accurate in that when you stop pedaling, power goes to zero (as it should).  Second, I believe this thing has rolldown calibration, meaning you can adjust it based on the tension of the wheel against the roller, which can be a huge variable that will definitely impact your calculated power numbers using a traditional speed->watts calculation.  A last point is the bluetooth support, which makes pairing to a bluetooth phone available, which opens up the world of phone apps to be used as a bike computer and data analyzer.  I had previously read it would be $299, but $200 seems a lot more realistic and tempting.
2012-08-31 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4390138

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Leegoocrap - 2012-08-31 1:16 PM

It looks alright, but unless you are just a tech head the cheaper (old) version that's under $100 would be the way I went.

Power is just a #. So long as it's not all over the place (that is, you can reliably compare the numbers from one ride to another, regardless of whether they read high, low or spot on) then you are only paying more $ for more pizzaz. IMHO of course.

+1!!!  I've even played with the fact that you could even use speed when you your on a trainer with constant power.  I use the old KK computer. 

I am kind of a tech head though, so I won't deny I may purchase the new one!

2012-08-31 4:21 PM

User image

Master
University Park, MD

My initial reaction was "meh, I'm happy to just work from the speed numbers and the power curve, as I've been doing for a few years". But after reading Ray's review, this looks like something that might be high on my wish list. 

If it's estimating power based on speed changes as well as raw speed, then that's a big improvement over what we can currently do. If it's adjusting its reading based on coast-down times, which are always a bit tricky to dial in, then that's even better. And it doesn't seem to require anything attached to the bike itself, so it's easy to share between myself and my wife for our trainer rides.

Sweet!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Kurt Kinetic Power Meter Rss Feed