United States
Your Cause Sports
90F / 32C
Total Time = 3h 25m 27s
Overall Rank = 170/
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/11
Pre-race routine:

This was a 1 pm start time so it was a little different. Had french toast for breakfast, then a PB and honey sandwich at 11:30, and a banana at 12:20. Drove up to Boulder with the family to Bruce and Vickie's, and went with them to the venue.
Event warmup:

Gel at 12:50, 10 minute run, short swim
Swim
  • 39m 20s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was least prepared for the swim (and that's not saying much!), so I was happy to a) live, and b) finish under 40 minutes. I think it may say something about my freestyle stroke that I was passed by someone doing the sidestroke!
What would you do differently?:

Swim more. Before my next race I need to do more interval training to try and get my swim fitness up and my stroke faster. Maybe a lesson or two would help.
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Gel x 1

Move faster
Bike
  • 1h 37m 37s
  • 26.4 miles
  • 16.23 mile/hr
Comments:

Good grief this was a challenging bike, and not just because it was longer than my longest ride this summer (oops!). It started with 5 miles slowly uphill in the baking sun. Then, as we turned the corner to start going down, we hit a deluge of rain (great for going downhill!). That lasted about 10-15 minutes, then we turned a corner and hit brutal crosswinds. I have never rode in winds like that, and I thought I was going to be blown over, or at least pushed into the traffic. Then we turned into the wind- I think I was going faster uphill than down! Fortunately the last 2 miles were downhill with a tailwind, so I could rest my legs a bit before the run. I had gel about 1 hour in.

My goal was 16+ MPH so I'm pretty happy, especially given the conditions. But I need to bike more, and definitely do more hills. I kept passing people on the flat, and then being passed uphill. I also don't think I drank enough, mostly because part of the time I was gripping on to the bike for dear life and didn't feel comfortable letting go to drink.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

Gel x 1

Move faster
Run
  • 1h 03m 45s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Boy I was wishing the rain would come back! The run started with brutal heat and sun. At this point I was happy to have made it through so far, and I just kept putting one foot in front of the other. I did pass a fair number of people, both oly and sprint, which felt pretty good. I drank water at every aid station and stopped to walk- by the second loop I was feeling hungry and out of energy, so I grabbed some gatorade too. I don't usually drink energy drinks on runs, but I thought it was worth the risk. I'm glad i did. I probably could have drunk more on the bike, and maybe had another gel then. Or maybe I need to experiment with energy drinks more on the run (I had a bad experience with them once). Towards the end my quads started to feel like they would cramp, but they never did (thank goodness). And for the last mile it got cloudy which helped a lot.

Not too much- maybe drink more on the bike, and do some more interval training to help with speed. I am very glad I had gotten my mileage up (to 9 miles) so that 10K didn't feel too daunting.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around, watching Bruce get his 1st place plaque :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training! The family moved out this summer and we sent one to college, and so life has been very complicated. In the 8 weeks before the race, I biked about 100 miles, ran 70 miles, and swam 7400 yards (total!), well below what was recommended for training for an Olympic. I would have been very tempted not to try it but Bruce and Vickie signed up and I felt like I had to at least try. So I was very happy to come in under my goal time of 3:30, and not come in DFL! Someday I'd love to do an Oly again, this time with some actual training, to see how fast I could go!

Last updated: 2012-07-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:20 | 1640 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 11/11
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: Wetsuit
Course: A big rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average