General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint Distance Brick Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-02 1:05 PM

User image

Shawnee, KS
Subject: First Sprint Distance Brick

Well today I decided to benchmark my training by doing my first Sprint Distance Brick.  I got pretty close on my distances with the bike leg being 11mi. and the running coming in at 2.7mi.  A little dissappointed on the bike as I averaged 13.6/mi pace due to the fact that the chain came off twice as I was coming to the bottom of a hill and transitioning to an uphill.  It certainly sucks to be starting at the bottom of a hill with no momentum.  My guess is that I don't have enough tension on the chain when shifting from big ring up front to smaller ring. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated :-)

Got back home and put my shoes on drank some water and headed out - I had no idea what to expect from my body. I had it in my mind to just see how it goes and not try to kill myself. To my surprise I was able to run the first 1.25 miles before having to walk a fairly steep hill. After that I decided I would just plan on walking the next two big hills on my route to see how that affects my pace. In the end I was super psyched on how well I handled the run. The 11:12 pace was faster than my pace just one month ago when I just ran that distance on a flatter route with no bike ride before it.

This was a huge mental hurtle for me to now know I can at least do the two events back to back.

Here are the numbers:

• Bike: 11.00mi | 48:31 moving time | 511 ft Elev. Gain | 13.6 mph avg | 30.3 mph max sped
  • Run: 2.7 mi | 30.14 moving time | 154ft Elev. Gain | 11:12/mi avg pace 

2012-09-02 9:23 PM
in reply to: #4392122

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: RE: First Sprint Distance Brick
That's a good start!  Are you training for a particular event?
2012-09-02 11:13 PM
in reply to: #4392122

User image

Shawnee, KS
Since my inspiration to get into this came from photographing the KC-Tri and Tinman.  Those are the two races I know for sure I want to do.  In both cases I will be doing the Sprint distance.  Beyond that not sure what other races I will be doing.
2012-09-03 6:41 PM
in reply to: #4392700

User image

Extreme Veteran

No matter where you start, you started.  And that is awesome!  You also now have a benchmark to gauge progress over time.  At some point, you will step up you benchmark distances to gauge training because your original benchmark will be too easy.  Eventually, your benchmarks will be races.

Enjoy the ride.  You started a great and rewarding adventure.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Sprint Distance Brick Rss Feed