United States
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 27m 13s
Overall Rank = 340/747
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 9/28
Event warmup:

I parked about 3/4 of a mile away and jogged slowly to the starting point. It was 80 with a dewpoint of 70; not good. :(
Run
  • 27m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

This race was held in honor of a firefighter who passed away in the line of duty 8 years ago; his daughter is a runner and she organized the event. There were lots of firefighters from all over New Jersey running including one in full jacket, pants, and helmet! Gah!

My goal was to finish in under 27 minutes, so I knew that I had to reach the first mile marker in no more than 9 minutes to keep my goal in sight, and pick up the pace from there. I lined up in the middle of the pack and off we went! I started my watch when I passed the actual start line.

First mile was good; it was kind of crowded at first but I guess that's pretty common. When I passed the first mile clock it said exactly 9:00! But my watch said 8:47; on the fast side for me but not enough to worry me. I picked up the pace a little, reached the turnaround and grabbed a water which I tried to drink while running (didn't work too well, ha). The second mile clock said 17:35, so my second mile was 8:35. I felt good about my goal but was definitely feeling tired.

The last mile was really hard and I had to tell myself not to look at my watch too much and just RUN! I went back and forth with one guy for awhile, then the route headed into the middle school stadium and around the track for the finish. I felt pretty dead by then. My official time (from the starting gun) was 27:13. But, from the first mile clock I know that it took me roughly 13 seconds to reach the start line; so counting only from the actual start line to finish, I'm not sure if I broke 27 minutes or not. If I didn't I was at least really close. Either way my last 1.1 miles took 9:38, for a pace of 8:45/mile.
What would you do differently?:

Keep up my pace; I guess I slowed down a little in the last third of the race. I was happy with the first two miles though.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the rest of the track, had water and a banana and a free sample of coconut water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The high dew point, ugh! Also I maybe should have lined up a little further up for less passing in the first mile as well as reaching the starting line sooner.

Last updated: 2012-08-28 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:13 | 03.11 miles | 08m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/28
Overall: 340/747
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back along a reasonably flat road, with water at the turnaround point.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes