General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buzzard's Bay Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-05 9:18 AM

Veteran
Subject: Buzzard's Bay Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread

Howdy, all. I'm hoping some of you veterans can shed some light on this race, particularly the swim course. This was supposed to be my last (of three) triathlons this year, but it's shaping up to be my one and only. The swim was canceled at Escape the Cape in June, and I panicked during the swim at a lake tri in July. Several sessions with an open-water swim coach later, I feel more confident about the whole thing.

Can any of you who've done this race before offer any reflections and/or advice about the swim? About the race overall? Looking forward to it, and to seeing some of you there.

2012-09-13 12:51 PM
in reply to: #4395984

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: Buzzard's Bay Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread

I did Buzzard's Bay a few years ago. It's a great race, though I've since switched to racing Nantasket (the same weekend, but closer to home).

Assuming they haven't changed the course, the swim is a point to point that runs parallel to shore.  The beach there is small pebbles rather than sand (maybe gumball size), so before the swim they have everyone wade out just past waist deep and start from there.  Definitely do a warm up swim, if only so you're familiar with how to exit over the small rocks.  Surf was minimal, though I remember ditching bilateral breathing and sticking to shore-side only because I kept getting a wave to face whenever I tried to breath away from shore.

The bike course is mostly flat with some rolling hills, except for one or two bigger climbs about half way through.  Run is out & back on the first 1.5mi of the bike course, so there can be some congestion at the entrance to the park. 

Hope you have a great race!  It's a beautiful venue, and they put on a good event.

2012-09-13 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4395984

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Buzzard's Bay Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread

My wife did it last year and the water was super choppy.  She's a very strong swimmer and she was very uncomfortable with the conditions.  Unfortunately you never know what you're going to get with an ocean swim until the day of the race. 

The bike and run on the other hand are supposed to be flat and pretty.  Hopefully the water cooperates this year.  Good luck!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Buzzard's Bay Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed