General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside Out Sports White Lake International Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Inside Out Sports White Lake International - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elizabethtown, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 35m 11s
Overall Rank = 26/372
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/37
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:50AM and had oatmeal with craisins, a banana, a coffee, and water...all while fighting FAQ'n mosquitoes. If professional cyclists cheat by infusing blood, then I did the opposite!

Slept horribly the night before b/c we stayed at Camp Clearwater. That place is strange. Everyone cruises in golf carts and it is an ALL night occurrence. Motorcycles, too. When you're in a tent, you hear all that.
Event warmup:

Decided not to warm up...Anything over a sprint gives you enough time to warm up during the swim. I did get in the water 10 mins before and just loosened up, though.
Swim
  • 35m 31s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

No wetsuit.

Tough swim. Water was very warm at the start. I decided I'd just keep it easy and not get to overworked. Plan worked. Slow swim, but I'll take it.

I started off to the left of the main group and just went at it. I felt as though I had a good swim and am pretty sure that swim is long. Everyone that I talked to agreed. You had a LOOOOOONNNNGGGG run to T1 that I think is included. Not going to complain about that, though, since I really hauled during that part of the "swim".
What would you do differently?:

I need to learn how to swim. While I'm not a BOP swimmer anymore, I'll never be competitive OA if I don't learn how to swim properly.
Transition 1
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Awesome T1. Upon exiting water, I sprinted hard to T1. I got there, grabbed my bike, and ran out. I did not waste much time here.

Not much.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 45s
  • 27.96 miles
  • 22.15 mile/hr
Comments:

The course was flat-ish and there was a strong wind the whole way. I just tucked in tight and went at it. I really didn't bother looking at my Garmin, and I think that helped.

This is the strongest I have ever felt on the bike during a race. I got out on the course and just went to work. There was a stretch of road where I saw at least 10 cyclist spread out in front of me and I passed every single one of them.

Played leap-frog with a clyde for a few miles. We talked a little about the awesome weather (for now!), but I was stating how strong the wind was. He said, "Are you kidding? This is great weather!" I thought to myself that since he's a bigger guy, this course probably suited his strength. I think the wind got to him, though, b/c I dropped him while we were going into a stiff wind and never saw him again.

Played leap-frog with another two other guys later in the course, one of which passed me in the final mile, or two.

At mile 25ish, the sun came out and it was HOT. I started to wonder if the run was going to be a misery-fest. Hint, hint.

Not much...I rode about as good as I could have, I think. The only big mistake I made was I got out of my shoes WAYYYYYY too early. I glanced at Garmin and I thought I was much closer than I actually was. I think I rode for at least 1 mile on top of my shoes! SUCK!
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

As stated before, I got out of shoes way too early. Need to work that better next time.

I had a very fast T2, but as I was leaving, I forgot my race belt. It was only a 3 second gaffe, but that should not have happened.

Not much. This was fairly quick and the T area is long. I feel like it was a good time.
Run
  • 41m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

This run was a sufferfest. The ONLY saving grace was the ice rags they handed out. Boy, it was HOT. I think it was low to mid 90s and HUMID.

I started the first mile and noticed that I ran it in 6:14...um, probably too fast. The rest of the miles were 6:30 or slower. At every station, I got water, which I dumped on my head, and an ice rag.

I was blowing by ppl running at a 6:45ish pace, so I know that they all were suffering. I suffered quite a bit, too, but it helped that I ran with an ice rag under my running hat and around my shoulders.

At one point, I couldn't see anyone in front of me, or behind me, so it was really tough to keep pushing it. If I have someone to chase down, then I can always push it harder.

Towards the last half mile, I was glad no one came up behind me. I don't know that I had anything to sprint it out.

The MV2s TORE my feet up. I made the decision to go without socks and boy did I pay for that...I had at least 10 spots rubbed raw on both feet.
Post race
Warm down:

Jumped in lake! OMG. I had a ton of blisters from the MV2 Newtons and I howled b/c the water burned the crap out of the raw skin. I have to think it's b/c of the sand mixed in with the water. A few guys laughed with me about it, but when they jumped in, their faces told it all...ha!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat. It was just too hot. The temp was easily in the 90s...and very humid.

Event comments:

This was a very good race with a very festive post race environment. The heat was a big factor, but something not controllable. I was hoping for this race to be swimsuit legal. The bike course is awesome...If you can hammer away, you're going to pick of ppl left and right. The run sucks. It's an out and back on the highway and there's NO shade. A lot of souls perished on that route today.

Last updated: 2012-01-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:31 | 1500 meters | 02m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 17/37
Overall: 94/372
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSoto LiftFoil
Course: Triangular clockwise course. Water was WARM. Nowhere is the lake all that deep. Swimming out in the middle of the lake, I could see the bottom, which was only about 9 feet down.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:14
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:45 | 27.96 miles | 22.15 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/37
Overall: 36/372
Performance: Good
AVG HR: 149 | MAX HR: 169 (First Mile)
Wind: Strong
Course: Flat course with rough roads throughout. There were a few sections in which the pavement was particularly smooth. Hammer-time! No shade throughout the course, and if the wind is blowing, feels like you're in a funnel.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:37 | 06.21 miles | 06m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/37
Overall: 8/372
Performance: Below average
AVG HR: 160 | MAX HR: 166 (Last Mile)
Course: Out and back. The run starts off with a few trees that provide shade, but then there's NO shade. It's not a very scenic or pretty course. You run in the bike lane and that is separated from the main road by orange cones. Plenty of aid stations throughout.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-08 11:27 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: Inside Out Sports White Lake International

2012-09-09 6:55 AM
in reply to: #4401878

User image

Expert
Tyrone, Georgia
Subject: RE: Inside Out Sports White Lake International
Good report and looks like you had a great race, incredible run time in my opinion for those conditions.
2012-09-09 10:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In front of computer when typing this.

Wow d00d, that is one heck of a run in those conditions! Holy cow. Nice bike too. But salt water? I think the heat must have gotten to you. Salt water in White Lake? :-)

I was wondering about CAmp Clearwater, thinking it might be the way you described (noisy in a tent, OK if you are in an RV). I camped at one of the STate Parks when I was down there and it was beautiful and quiet...except for my kids, so I didn't sleep any either. Still, it is part of the fun!

One month to go to B2B. You feeling on-track? With the current that race plays to your strengths but minimizing the swim time. Good for you. Bad for people like me who like the swim!

Anyway, congrats. Sounds like a good, hard race! Just what you need a month before a biggie.

2012-09-09 10:30 AM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Sounds like a very succesful day. You are looking solid in the 2 areas you need to be solid in for B2B. If you continue forward from this result you will be great in 6 weeks.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside Out Sports White Lake International Rss Feed