General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Mary M. Gooley Hemophilia Center
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 127/582
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 16/42
Pre-race routine:

Stayed up to late but I'd be awake anyhow so when they red flagged the race for rain finally went to bed. I was all packed up and ready to go. Talked Y into riding to the race even. Its so much easier than parking.
Up at 4:45 Only enough oatmeal for one so had some toast.
Easy ride down like a mile and half most on road closed for the tri. The only time I don't get runned over on Lake Shore Dr. Hit the effin curb in the parking lot in the dark, knocked the back wheel right off. No foul or injury to me or the bike. Body marked and waited for 2+ hours to start. Hit the head three times. Talked to Ken, Mike, Ridgelake, Kara, Cheri, Laurie, Cary, Jim, Lynn, Ed, Shirley, Charlie, Marty, Even, Tam, Ron, Chris, Tom, another Mike, Ed and Bill. Got to body mark Laurie. Had a cup of coffee. Elevated ankle. Saw all those people go off, including Y. Ran home and mowed the lawn and gave the dog a bath. Finally 2+ hours later and get to corral up.
Jim told dolphining was faster. That is nice but jumping up with this ankle is a no go still.

Event warmup:

Did a few little sprints to see how far out I could get the group to start.
Swim
  • 14m 50s
  • 792 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have swam more race yardage than training this summer. Knew I wouldn't be on. The water is very shallow this year so you could walk 80% of the course. A lot of the group walked it. I can go as fast without using up my legs so that is what I did. Tucked in behind Jim dolphining for a short time. Good place to draft. WOW fast crowd this year and wasn't able to pull out to the front. I swam but the guy next to me would walk than swim and we stayed even most the race.
Caught up to some of the group ahead. Y's group on the way in. I didn't swim my race through and stood up to early and had to walk more than I wanted to. As I was climbing out I heard Dud from behind. Y was just making it to shore. Hi Y. I'm in a race will kiss you later. Its a long run to T1 and the ankle didn't like that much. Passed a few girls on my way in.
What would you do differently?:

By far not my best swim and is reflective of amount of training.
Lack of water in lake to make it an honest swim.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Sweet flow through. Had arms out of suit. Threw helmet and glasses on then suit off and threw it back into area and shoes on. Clip Clop to mount line. Trying to get out before Y got to her bike across the way. Not cause I didn't want to see her but it was a time thing. Got a clear shot to the mount line. Nice.
6th in AG
33rd in OA

It felt good to me.
Bike
  • 44m 58s
  • 13.3 miles
  • 17.75 mile/hr
Comments:

The first half mile or so is a split lane and passing is difficult. I pushed it hard. Used the ring more than I should. Its uphill for half the course and rolling fat up hill is an art. Not having to listen the sound of disk wheels going by was nice. I was trying to pick the person ahead me off. Passed more than was passed. Make it tot the top and its lots of down hill form here. Trying best to announce passing on left and had to do it hard down Cty #1 as the girls (3) were hogging the whole lane. Luckily I spend Saturday telling the kids (tri) to ride right.
My goal was to catch Cheri. She was on a mtb bike and started 15 minutes ahead of me. As I was returning on E Lake Rd I got up to her and the hot dog in the road. WTF it that about. We comment on it and ride on. About two miles out There is a guy running his bike and group bunching up behind. Was able with lack of traffic to get around it. Hit the college road and get passed by two of AG'ers. Was able to get that back and slide home working the half lane well. Dismount was good and off to T2.

Tri's on the moon.
Not getting distracted by a hot dog.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

My spot is tight to bike in. Nice. My neighbor has thrown his wetsuit and other crap over my shit. Butt head. He won't find those 10 dollar socks.
Not many bikes in yet so hoping that is a good sign. Get the bike racked well and shoes off. Cut my laces so no need to double tie to keep them out of the way. Take a drag of water and take off. Relay teams are in the way of trying to get to run out. Yell to move it and almost take out another runner as she was shielded from view by them We make out alright but quick Y is coming back soon.
23 in AG
216 in OA

Screw the water just drank 5 minutes ago.
Run
  • 29m 54s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

As it was told to me today swimmers aren't runners. I have been on my feet a little but not enough to call it training. I had a bunch of support out there. Bunch of those people and a few more. This race is a loop then a long out and back so you get a chance to see bunches of people. Hoping to see Ken. Not to be.
Right off Madi give me a "Mike is ahead of you get going!!". Thanks Madi that is your dad ya know.
Calves and feet are feeling rough. Its a 3/4 mile of stone dust trail. Really not a good running surface to nurse an ankle around. Finally break onto pavement. Y is hitting the 180 turn to hit the lagoon. She is looking good and enjoying more than me. Foot loosens up, walk a rest stop and mentally make the commitment to run the rest of the way.
See Martha on Lake Shore Dr. She is far from a runner and looks like she needs a hug. No time.
Mike right behind her, talking of course. He is looking good. Kara on her first lap of an Oly. She is looking good and slap high five. Marty on the way out the pier. Damn he is ahead of me. Its his first tri and he is rocking it. Cheri headed to the pier, I'm hoping Y is close enough. She want to beat her on this one. I see Y as I turn into the park to finish. Throw her a kiss and she is still smiling. I pretty sure her goal in in reach.
The rest of the way in is lined by crowd and every 100 feet or so I'm getting a go "Dud, Looking good". Hit the line at 1:32-1:33. Probably not good enough to earn that 12 pack bet with Ken.

Have a good ankle. About it. Good run with what I had to work with.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water. Amy and the boys were waiting for Cheri to come in. Talk quick and head back to see family and gang. We can see Y making her way down the pier 1/2 mile away in her neon pink top. Cheri goes by and I tell her Y is right behind her. She falls for it and looks behind her but Y is back a ways.
Y rounds the corner and is looking like she enjoying it a lot more than last year. She takes it home and best her time by five and half minutes.
Chat it up for a while and then decide to get lunch.
Ken offers to SAG us home but Shirley has taken the wetsuits so back packs are lighter. I told we would probably call him around 1/4 mile from home cause that is where the short steep hill is on Parrish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of dedicated training some d/t motivation some nursing a sprained ankle.

Event comments:

They run this race well. Its in its 11th year, so they better.
It was Y's 4th tri this year and she is loving and enjoying it a lot. I better start pick it up. Glad Ken was able to race. Mike thanks for getting the whole family. The girls do a great job cheering. Kara congrates on your first Oly. Cheri better start turning up a little.

I need to start using the glide I drag to the race as I have chaffing where it doesn't belong.

Last updated: 2012-08-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:50 | 792 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/42
Overall: 78/582
Performance: Below average
Suit: Sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:58 | 13.3 miles | 17.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 14/42
Overall: 105/582
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:29:54 | 03.1 miles | 09m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/42
Overall: 308/582
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-09 4:55 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-09-09 7:11 PM
in reply to: #4402396

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course

Nice work on a bum ankle.  I'm thinking most of my swim in the river was deeper than yours in the lake.  Go figure.

Good to have fun with friends out there.

2012-09-10 5:22 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great race!  Considering 2 weeks ago your ankle looked like an egg plant, you had a pretty impressive result! 

It was fun hanging out with everyone!

Edited by kenj 2012-09-10 5:23 AM
2012-09-10 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Good job getting the most you had to work with!

I saw that hotdog on East Lake too and had the same thought.  WTF!  Good for a laugh.

Edited by Ridgelake 2012-09-10 8:24 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed