General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brooks Ravenna 3 = newton? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-10 10:30 AM

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Subject: Brooks Ravenna 3 = newton?

I am currently running with a pair of Brooks Ravenna 3 size 9.5. When I was fitted at a local running store, I was advised that my left foot is slightly ‘prone’. I don’t recall the specific but they had me try 3 pair of shoes and the Ravenna felt the most comfortable.

I am looking into trying some Newton but since I don’t have a local dealer, I will need to order online. What will be a similar ‘type/model’ shoes I should look at if I was to switch to Newton. Will the sizing be the same?

Thank you.

2012-09-10 10:39 AM
in reply to: #4403400

User image

Veteran
NC
Subject: RE: Brooks Ravenna 3 = newton?
The sizing will be similar and the Newton model most resembling the Ravenna would be the Motion. It has some pronation control.
2012-09-10 10:43 AM

Regular
Ottawa, ON

I wanted to add that this was the first time I actually went to a running store to get fitted. I remember the lady telling me to walk barefoot back and forward while she was watching. My question is how accurate is the analysis of my gait by just watching me walk? They had me on a treadmill to try all the shoes but did not provide me with more feedback on my running.

2012-09-10 10:48 AM
in reply to: #4403419

Regular
Ottawa, ON
Thanks. How big of a difference would it be for me to run the the 'Distance' series? I assume it will take a few weeks to adapt but is it possible to change my fitting? Or should I just go with the same rule as bike fitting: choose what fit you and not what you like/read.
2012-09-10 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ

Why would you switch to a shoe you've never worn when the Revennas are working for you?? What makes the Newtons so appealing to you? (besides their awesome marketing and cool looking shoes

When I had my gait analyzed they recommended two shoes for me; the Newtons and the Revennas (this was before the Revenna 2's and 3's) Since I wasn't sure how much I was going to get into running I went with the more affordable pair, the revennas. They were the first shoe that I really loved to run in...When it was time to get into another pair I knew that I was going to be a runner. I figured there was so much hype about the Newtons and it was a shoe that was actually recommended to me that I would give them a shot. Long story short, I couldn't get more than 15 miles in them before I had to take them off. I was getting so frustrated because I was training for a marathon and couldn't finish my long runs that I started a thread in here and asked for help and almost backed out of the race. The advice was simple: "if you felt great in the Revennas, go back to them." I immediately had a pair overnighted to me and took them on a 20 mile run right out of the box.

The moral of the story: If you love the Revenna 3's (like I do) don't switch.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Brooks Ravenna 3 = newton? Rss Feed