REVOLUTION3 Triathlon
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 31m 43s
Overall Rank = 211/713
Age Group = m35-39
Age Group Rank = 35/74
Pre-race routine:

Checked in bike on Saturday. Sometimes I am ashamed to say I am affiliated with this sport. I will only give you a pass to wear a full trisuit on race day (and then only grudingly). At no other time are you to wear it. "Warming up" on your trainer , in the parking lot , a day before your race makes you look just silly. Got my swag stuff , heard that HIM had until 730 AM to clear out of transition. Hooray. Checked into the Comfort Inn ( The homebase for a local motorcycle rally. Did you know that these diehards are busy "tuning" their bikes at 1:00AM? Me neither. I had to call all my friends at the front desk to let them know too! Twice! ) Had dinner with some other BT folks and assorted race randoms I know.
Event warmup:

Rolled into transtion at 645 - got set up - ate a PBJ - walked the beach - gazed at the mirror like Lake Erie with the sun coming up. Jumped into my wetsuit , did a few strokes in the lake and I was off.
Swim
  • 36m 34s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a good swim. Water was clean and pretty smooth. I was able to swim alone for much of the swim portion. Had a few issues sighting the buoys on the way back in for whatever reason. Water temp was really nice. Just a pleasant way to open the day
What would you do differently?:

nothing - this was a distance PR by about a minute on waaaay less training - very happy
Transition 1
  • 02m 11s
Comments:

REV3 has nice bike racks that prevent real estate hogs from taking over transition (although I had a MR BUCKET man on one side of me who tried to make it complicated). I was able to get changed in a normal time. One small issue is I was the opposite corner from the bike/in out. Hard to run in cleats.

nothing
Bike
  • 2h 50m 42s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.68 mile/hr
Comments:

I knew I probably wasnt going to match last years pace (20.2). I also dont have the services of a bike computer anymore so I was going on feel which is fine with me. I hit 20 miles at 58 minutes and was feeling good. Some patches of rough earth around mile 15(40) for a few miles. Ate a Cliff bar and a whole bottle of chocolate soy milk for nutitrion which had me feeling fine (about 750 calories). I hit 40 miles at 2hrs and was feeling good. The last 16 miles were tough. I was starting to slow down (I was riding one gear up from normal). I couldnt tell exactly where the wind was coming from but I was pretty sure it wasnt behind me. I just tried to stay low and keep on trucking. I felt like the whole M40-49 age group passed me during the ride it was weird. I only saw one person in my age group pass me which I thought was really weird. (I started the ride 19/74 and ended up 33/74 so they did pass me, I guees I didnt notice). The last 5 miles of Cedar point road seem to take a reaaallly long time. It was fun to ride into the crowd waiting outside of transiton.

I was way down on bike volume this year. I had multiple frequent 45-60 minute rides but nothing really long. I had two 3hr+ rides in the two weeks prior to the race but you cant cheat cycling endurance. I am pleased with the time given the training and I did hit my goal for the race coming in (19.5)
Transition 2
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Long run back to the corner of transition in cleats. This should have been faster. I was just kinda screwing around I guess. I wasnt quite in the game seeing as I forgot to grab my race belt. I was breaking the law since I did the run without my number. I am a rebel without a brain.

Not spend so long to simply change shoes.
Run
  • 1h 59m 24s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

all right - I had set the table - Swim PR , good bike just off last years pace. I started my run knowing if I just did slightly better than last years crap fest I would beat my PR. I was shooting for 8:20 pace (equivalent to a 1:49 HM pace) which would put me in at about 5:22. I went out slow and even , although I was feeling really good. I was carrying a honey/water mix in a 8oz handbottle for nutition. I hit mile 4 at 32 mile (8:00 pace). I was feeling great. There was an aid station about a quarter mile after the mile marker. I thought " hey walk it, you are killing it , get some ice and think about the butt you are kicking ". So I walked the aid station, even though I was cruising and didnt need it. My pace from mile 4 to 5 increased to 9:15. I thought , must have been a slow walk , lets giddyup. Miles six and seven were no better. I was slowing rapidly. Miles 7-9 were bad mentally. I walked several times for no reason and I was frustrated about once what was going so well just evaporated. I saw my PR chance slip slip slip away. I broke through the wall at mile 9 and at least starting running again. Mile 11 and beyond was my body making me walk several times due to cramps. Like everyone else I was covered in salt from the nice cool wind all day. I was disappointed again as I had to walk several times on the causeway a mere 2 miles from the end. I started the run at 32/74 and ended up 35/74. I saw the three guys jump me during the causeway. I caught up to one of them in the parking lot as he started to walk. I started encouraging him as I came up on him and told him to get going. About 10 seconds after I passed him he passed me and said " thanks , I needed some help " and proceeded to beat me by 15 seconds. Well, at least I heped someone.

I dunno. I am frustrated in that I had way more training in the run this year. However , in looking at my training is consisted primarily of <40 minute runs. I crammed three 2hr runs into the two weeks prior to the race. Much like my bike thread , you cant cheat running endurance. Just very irritating that I ran just 10 seconds faster than last year. An 8:50 pace would have helped me match my overall PR from last year. So close to an easy PR and I screwed the pooch (first mentally then physically). I wonder how my performance would have been if I had just kept running instead of stopping at the the mile 4 aid station.
Post race
Warm down:

just walking around - waiting for other people that I knew to finish

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to have more longer bike/run sessions prior to a race of this distance (and not just the 2 weeks before the race). Next time dont have baby #4 in December - it doesnt help get more time to train. Overall , considering the fact I didnt want mywife to stab me while I slept, I got as much endurance training in as family time would allow. I accept that - mostly :)

Event comments:

Perfect day - nice autumn day in the high sixties,low seventies - a breeze - a perfect glass lake. Nice swag ( goggles are much better than another shirt). Probably the heaviest medal I have ever got at a race. Everything from check in , set up , race day , race end went smooth. Disappointed I didnt do a little better but it was a great race environment with the HIM distance selling out. If I do this next year I should probably look into signing up earlier

Last updated: 2012-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:34 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/74
Overall: 153/713
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: 3/4 of a rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:50:42 | 56 miles | 19.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 33/74
Overall: 211/713
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: out and back into the flats and rollers of agrarian Sandusky
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:54
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:59:24 | 13.1 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 35/74
Overall: 211/713
Performance: Below average
Course: out across the Cedar Point causeway , by the marina , through downtown and back
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-10 6:02 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev

2012-09-10 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4404499

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev
Nice PR on the swim. And as far as the run goes...woulda, coulda, shoulda, the mental mind fudge is a nasty thing and quite a nasty place to go...at least you know what happened and now you can work on fixing that for next year and better yet great job being selfless and helping someone else in the midst of your own angsty-run-hell.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rev3 Cedar Point - Half Rev Rss Feed