Precipitation
Total Time = 5h 55m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/
Pre-race routine:

Set up transition, chilled with my training buddies
Event warmup:

I spent about 5 minutes in the water warming up. I could already feel the panic building. Tried to tell myself that I would be fine.
Swim
  • 37m 44s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim has proven to be a challenge to me as of late. I have been having pretty strong panic attacks at the beginning of the swim for several of my last races. The water was warm. I am well trained for this distance. I was with my best friends in a very low key event. I started in the back. I tried to start really slowly. It was a mental fight from the time the gun went off to the second bouy, basically half the race. MISERABLE! Finally I kicked it into gear and started to get into the flow of things. It is a really bad way to start things off. All that being said, I swam :10 minutes faster than my last half iron.
What would you do differently?:

I keep going over that again and again in my mind. I have no idea what to do differently. I need to figure something out before IMFL!
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

It was fine.

I forgot to take off my googles and cap when I exited. That added a bit to my time.
Bike
  • 3h 11m 8s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.58 mile/hr
Comments:

I wanted to stay between 15-16.5 on the bike hoping this would give me a little something left to run on. Having never seen the course, I felt like I stayed within my "box" just fine.

I will package my nutrition a little differently. My salt tablets were wrapped in SaranWrap that I had to chew through to get at because it was so wet. I might replace my Bento bag with one that can zip close??
Transition 2
  • 02m 10s
Comments:

I knew this would be a long transition. I only have one pair of orthotics. I had to switch them from my bike shoes to my running shoes. It was worth the extra minute. I was lucky I covered my shoes and socks with a garbage bag so I had nice dry ones to start.

I am hoping to have a second pair of orthotics soon.
Run
  • 2h 03m 13s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok, so could I have gone faster. Probably. I didn't know that for sure until I did so. Doing what I did reminds me why I am actually spending 15-20 hours a week for an Ironman, for great experiences with my buddies. It was one of the greatest runs of my life even though it wasn't fast. I was completely in the moment. I will take it anyday.

Drink a little more. I was pretty salty when I was done. I could have kept it up for a little while longer but I might have started really having trouble in the later miles of a marathon because I was a little shy on nutrtion.
Post race
Warm down:

Caught my breath, found a Coke, talked to other athletes. Found a big smile on my face!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I herniated a disc in my back last summer. I can feel it go down my leg on the run. It was starting to cramp my leg up a bit toward the end of the run. I need to keep it more "in the box" than the average person just to make sure I don't do anything that will end my running dreams. I guess inexeperience is another factor. Since this was only my second Half, I have a lot to learn yet. The rain for sure slowed me on the bike today. Maybe that actually paid off on the run. The swim needs some more mental work. Also, we basically didn't taper for this race. I think I fresher legs we all would have done better.

Event comments:

Really surprised by the great race. Our last race ran out of water the last 4 miles! This time we brought everything with us just in case. Just because this is a small race doesn't mean it isn't a great one. The awards were fun too. Beanies, socks and pint glass. My girlfriend's got a tank top for their first place finishes.I love that they also printed out your results right there and then.

Last updated: 2012-09-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:44 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: Rectangular course. Across the river, turn right. Down to next buoy along shore, turn right. Cross over river again, turn right. Head home!
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:11:08 | 56 miles | 17.58 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: LOVED the course. The hills weren't as bad as I feared. There was plenty of ups and downs but nothing I wasn't trained for. The rain, however, I could have done without. It made every move a little dangerous. My nutrition was soaked. I had to "chase" slippery ShotBlocks around in my Bento bag. My Sportsbeans were melting...Still, very pretty. Not sure I loved the through town stretch with cars so close on slippery roads.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 75
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:03:13 | 13.1 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Pretty run once you get onto the Greenway. I hate running flat and on hard surfaces. I am a trail runner most of the time. This is only my second official time running flat on concrete for this distance. The other time was at my Half Iron two years ago. I went with the plan of staying around 10 min miles and seeing how that worked. I felt pretty good off the bike. I normally start out too fast so I kept my average pace screen up on my Garmin to keep from taking off. I was feeling very comfortable at about a 9:30 pace. At mile 4, one of my training buddies came up on me. She can hammer a half but was feeling a little off so she settled in with my pace. We had the best time. We talked, laughed, even sang a few songs. I kept up well on my nutrition. The aide stations were well stocked. We even had Coke at the two we stopped at. The miles melted by. After 9 months of Ironman training, 5.5 of really training hard, this run was my reward. At about mile 11 I realized that we could go under 6:00 hours. My goal had been 6:45. My last Half Iron was 7:24 (It was in the 96 degree heat and I just fell apart). This realization got me all excited. I ended up sprinting my last mile or so at a 8:00 min pace.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-11 8:49 PM

User image

Subject: Nashvegas Half-Distance Triathlon

2012-09-13 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4406795

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Nashvegas Half-Distance Triathlon
Great job! The rain really made the bike a challenge!
2012-09-13 5:51 PM
in reply to: #4406795

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Nashvegas Half-Distance Triathlon

I did the Oly last year and really enjoyed it.  You are right about the fact that just because it's small doesn't mean it isn't a really good time.  Sad I missed this year, but had another race already on the schedule.

Glad to hear you had a good time and a great race!  Congrats on the podium!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nashvegas Half-Distance Triathlon Rss Feed