United States
World Triathlon Corporation
Sunny
Total Time = 14h 36m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = m 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Before you start reading please keep in mind that anything that sounds negative is just meant to be a statement of fact. I would not trade the whole experience (training and the race) for anything.

I had a decent nights sleep and woke up around 3 a.m. Ate eggs and oatmeal for breakfast. Drove to Monona Terrace and dropped off my hydration/nutrition bottles. Wandered around for awhile then headed down to the swim start.
Event warmup:

walked into the water.
Swim
  • 1h 23m 45s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 10s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was my first IM so my main goal was to finish. With that in mind I wanted to make sure the swim didn't wipe me out so I started approximately 3-5 minutes after the gun went off. This plan worked well for the first 5 minuted then I spent the remainder of the time fighting my way through the pack. I won't guess how much actual time this strategy cost but my last two full length training swims were at 1:07 and 1:08. Basically it felt like trying to swim through a moving maze. I would strongly discourage anyone from using this swim start strategy unless you are a slow swimmer.
What would you do differently?:

start in the middle of the pack and put up with the fighting for the first 400 meters vrs fighting for the length of the swim.
Transition 1
  • 13m 36s
Comments:

This is a long race, there was no need to sprint up the helix and out to my bike. I didn't rush but I didn't intentionally go slow.

nothing
Bike
  • 6h 58m 11s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.07 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal for this was to keep my cadence at 90 rpm and my HR in the low to mid 130's and to never exceed 159 while climbing. I reached those goals but overall the bike was a disaster. I threw my chain 3 times on the first lap, my wonderful RTC shifters decided not to shift half the time and somewhere after I reached Verona for the first time I crashed. I have no idea how or why. I remember getting to Verona and the next thing I remember is being on Hwy G just before getting to Messerschmidt Rd. I had trouble focusing on riding so I would occasionally notice my RPM's had dropped significantly and my HR was in the 110-120 range. Everything cleared up by the time I hit Mt Horeb in the 2nd loop. From that point on I decided to just take it easy and make sure I finished the race.

no bike "tune up" 3 days prior to the race and not crash.
Transition 2
  • 08m 55s
Comments:

As always, the volunteers did an amazing job. Thank you!

nothing
Run
  • 5h 52m 33s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I actually felt great when I got off my bike with the exception of my shoulder, head/face and neck. As I mentioned above my goal was to simply finish the race so I took it easy on the run and never actually pushed myself. Part of this strategy came from my bike crash and part was I had no idea how much I could push.

Now that I am officially a finisher I would absolutely push harder during the run.
Post race
Warm down:

ate pizza and walked around.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a few health issues during training and came into the race about 25-30 lbs heavier than I expected. Training went very well for the first 15 weeks then the wheels fell off at the end of May. I tore a calf muscle, then was diagnosed with stage 2 hypertension which took about 4 weeks to get under control and last but certainly not least I crashed my moped in the beginning of August and broke my left foot. Regardless of everything I believe I left about 1-1.5 hours out on the course. Overall I am still happy simply because I finished the race.

As an update to my bike crash, I have road rash on my face, right ear, right shoulder, right knee, I was diagnosed with a concussion and a separated shoulder.

Event comments:

As always the WTC did a great job with this race. The volunteers were amazing. I was told the spectator levels were down this year. Even if that was true there were still enough to make each participant feel like a rock star.

It was an awesome experience to see my wife, sons and two sisters during the run. My friends Craig, Amy, Calvin and Karen always seemed to pop up when I needed them the most. Thank you! During the run I got to meet several people who were not only supportive but inspiring as well. Seeing fireman Rob during the marathon is always inspiring and I was fortunate enough to spend about 15 minutes of the run with a young lady named Ingrid. Ingrid was in an automobile accident a few years ago and suffered a broken pelvis and broken neck. She was told she would never run again but she was doing the IM anyways. She did finish and I hope she was able to receive as much support in return as she provided to me and the others she met during the race. Coincidentally we started running/walking/shuffling together when I was at one of my lowest points mentally. I never came close to the feeling of wanting to give up but sometimes it helps to have a reminder of all the different ways we have been blessed.

Last updated: 2011-11-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:23:45 | 3862 meters | 02m 10s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: xterra vortex
Course: 1 loop.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 13:36
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:58:11 | 112 miles | 16.07 mile/hr
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop lollipop.
Road:   Cadence: 79
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 08:55
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:52:33 | 26.2 miles | 13m 28s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-12 9:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,
Subject: Ironman Wisconsin

2012-09-12 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4407338

User image

Master
Living in the past
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin

Wow, the power of the human spirit. Congratulations on your first IM.

I noticed a few runners with an arm in a sling and road rash and shook my head in appreciation each time - probably saw you. Tough as nails. I trust the concussion is mild and the separation minor. Heal quickly.

Congrats again and go Badgers!

2012-09-12 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Oh my goodness, you certainly overcame more adversity than a person should have to. Congrats on the finish. I hope you heal quickly. If it makes you feel better, I dropped my chain 3 times on the first loop too (and I've ridden the loops several times). Apparently it is possible to forget how to ride a bike.

One word of advice...if your shoulder still hurts in a month or two, get it looked at by an ortho...I had a shoulder injury that didn't really hurt unless I was swimming and it turned out to be a huge tear in my labrum that could only be seen under contrast MRI. Not to bum you out, just be sure to pay attention to your after care.

Q

2012-09-12 9:57 AM

User image

Master
You overcame a ton of sh1t to become an ironman! Great job to stick with it and get it done.

Try to enjoy the triumph.

Congrats!
2012-09-12 6:36 PM

User image

Veteran
, Wisconsin
Well done!  It does help us count our blessings
2012-09-12 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Madison,

Thank you for all the encouragement.  One thing I learned through this process was that everyone doing an Ironman will go through challenges most people use as an excuse to quit, the only difference being that we use it as motivation to keep going.  

On a different note I also found it incredibly cool to get "chicked" several hundred times during the race.  

2012-09-13 10:41 AM

User image

Veteran
St. Louis

Wow.  Torn muscles and broken bones during training.  Crashing and separating a shoulder halfway through the bike.  You certainly made your first IM a memorable one.  That's gonna be tough to top.  Way to hulk up, congratulations. 

2012-09-13 10:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN

You could be the poster boy for HTFU.  Great job gutting it out. 

You are an Ironman!

2012-09-13 11:04 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
nice job out there.
2012-09-18 8:58 PM

User image

Expert

I hope you are fully recovered from your crash!

It was good meeting you. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Wisconsin Rss Feed