General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Specialized Shiv owners out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-13 7:11 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Subject: Any Specialized Shiv owners out there?

LBS has a Shiv Expert in my size.  I took it for a ride and was quite impressed.  Most importantly, it fit like it was made specifically for me.  Couple questions:

- The Fuelselage system seems like a good idea in theory, but how does it work in reality?  Any issues?  Is it easy to refuel in a race (i.e. HIM or IM bottle hand-offs)?

- What do you do for a Bento Box?  The Fuelselage, cables and front stem take up a fair amount of space.

Thanks in advance.  I'd be happy to hear any other comments you have regarding the bike, good and bad.

2012-09-13 7:40 AM
in reply to: #4408903

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: Any Specialized Shiv owners out there?

Disclaimer - I don't have one - that said, I've played with more than a few so I think I have a decent chance to answer. FredD has a new Shiv I believe... along with others I'm sure. Might want to ask him if he doesn't chime in.

- The integrated drink system takes just a bit of tinkering in my experience to get it "dialed in" just right... I think it would work acceptably "out of the box" for most people, but you can get it really nice. It works a LOT better than I had expected it to.

- On a specialized bike, a great option for flat kits (if you use a bento for that) is to buy a virtue bottle and split it in half, fill with your flat stuff, and seal. Between the drink system, a possible torpedo bottle or bottle behind the saddle, it shouldn't cost you much to miss the dt bottle. Not 100% sure if Darkspeedworks has a pack that works with the shiv or not.

2012-09-13 9:44 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I have the Shiv and love it. It is really fun to ride and makes me feel fast, even if I am not really much faster than on my old bike.

Fuelselage works fine. It requires a little effort to suck the fluids up from the bladder. It is not perfect but works well enough. I am still trying to make it work exactly like I want. I use it for water. It is easy to refill on the fly so I wouldn't worry about that. I also have a bottle mounted torpedo style between the aero bars for electrolyte drink.

I do not use a bento box so I can't comment on how that would fit. I agree that it looks crowded behind the stem. I have a tube and a CO2 shoved under my seat and a gel flask (If I am doing a longer race) on the top tube and that works well for me. If I want to carry bars/waffles/other nutrition I would carry it in my tri top pockets. The thing I like most about this set up is how sleek it looks. Not a lot of stuff hanging off the bike (except the damn rider) to mess with the aerodynamics of the bike.

I have been thinking/wondering if a CO2 cartridge and tube could be attached to a piece of string and shoved in to the down tube below the fuelselage bladder? Does anyone know about this? I am 100% certain they would fit without the bladder in. It might make a really cool way to carry your flat kit if you don't use the fuelselage.

I would buy this bike again in a second!
2012-09-13 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
I have a SHIV. Love it. I haven't really used the bladder to any great extent to provide insight and don't use a bento box. Food is in my pockets and I stick a power bar on the top tube. I usually just carry one of those sealant's in a can for a race (no spare), unless it's an Ironman. Those I know who use the bladder regularly have said they like it and it just takes a little tweaking. It's a great bike though.
2012-10-16 9:34 AM

User image

Greenville, SC

Just bought one!!  I was wondering if any Shiv owners have an update on where they put their spare tube/levers/Co2.  I was thinking about using the bladder for water and downtube bottle for nutrition.  Perhaps a bag behind the seat?  I don't like the way those look though.  Could try stuffing under the seat.  Just wondering what all of you Shiv owners have done.

On another note...did you stick with the stock ski tips?  I am thinking of changing those out when they build it, to S-bends with R2C's.

2012-10-16 10:31 AM

User image

Regular
Niddatal, Germany
Bento Box is no problem. Just don't attach it in the front to the stem, but in the rear to the seat post.

2012-10-16 10:45 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
I did end up buying the Shiv Expert (see my OP above!).  I went with an Xlab setup for a rear bottle and bought their small bag to hold tubes/levers.  I also bought a Dark Speedworks SpeedPack 483 for nutrition needs.  The 483 is large enough that it could also hold a tube, levers and CO2.

Edited by Patrick E 2012-10-16 10:46 AM
2012-10-16 10:48 AM

User image

Greenville, SC

Thanks for the responses.

Re: the dark SW bag.  Did you mount it backwards towards the seat post so you still have access to the bladder?  I was thinking about doing something like that with the Xlab 100....which looks the same as the dark sw bag?   

2012-10-16 11:23 AM
in reply to: #4455698

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago, USA

NeverEnough - 2012-10-16 10:48 AM

Re: the dark SW bag.  Did you mount it backwards towards the seat post so you still have access to the bladder?  I was thinking about doing something like that with the Xlab 100....which looks the same as the dark sw bag?

FYI, while xlab has some neat products made for them in asia, their bags are nothing like the US-made Speedpacks. The Speedpack 483 is the only top tube pack made that will mount 100% securely to your top tube, but without needing to attach to a stem. And we do mean 100%. The 483 is designed precisely for superbikes like the Shiv. My suggestion would be to mount it somewhat like this, you can also mount it further forward, even over the bladder opening if you want. For functional and aerodynamic reasons, we don't suggest mounting any of our packs against your seat post:

2012-10-16 11:49 AM

User image

Greenville, SC
Thanks....like the US factor of the product especially!  Better way for me to go....and thanks for the picture, that helps.
2013-06-03 3:47 PM
in reply to: DarkSpeedWorks

Veteran
Honolulu
MMMM sexy bike Dark. I put the bladder in and used it last weekend. I cut the straw tube too short though as I lost the magnet part. The straw just hangs over the stem but I can only drink out of it when in the aero bars. There is a trick to dealing w/ the bladder walls sticking to itself. You try to suck water up and nothing comes out. So you actually have to bite the straw's opening to let air in, and even blow into it, before you can then suck water out. I heard that sometimes you can't ever get the last few ounces out. I put a whole bottle in and was able to get it all out. Another shiv owner tore his bladder in the removal process. I can see that happening, you really have to install/remove gingerly. Hope they aren't expensive to replace. Seems like the bike is way more aero w/out a water cage/bottle on the bike frame. Also another shiv owner said he didn't like the "sloshing" sound in the frame, but I didn't notice this.

Without a bike computer, I could not tell how fast I was going. But I rode w/ someone who is usually the same speed as me on my regular road bike and I left her behind big time. There was no way she could catch me. I'm guessing I'm 4 mph faster than before. I do miss my compact crank, but it is more easier to climb that I had originally expected.

Gonna try to replace the stem w/ a -30 degree stem to get the front end dropped more. I already put the cockpit on the bottom setting of the spacers, right above the fork. But I bought the bike too big so I can't raise the seat higher. It handles the same on corners, but the braking is spongy and not as responsive as my other bike. This bike turns heads, gets respect at the bike shop, and so far has made me faster. Will know when I race with it.

2013-10-10 12:22 PM
in reply to: 0

got shiv in 2011 (spent 2012 out with back injury)
raced all 2012 with it, love it, fueslodge hard to work with at first once you get used to it very easy...go on slow twitch to read more about it (entire 67 page thread spec started devoted to shiv)
I am upgrading to DI2 and Disc wheels at this point.
As far as bento box, they just came out with a great option for that!

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/swat-technology/road-swat-tech...

Only recommendation i would have it see if you can get Di2 when you buy it to save upgarde cost latter.

Edited by nebeachbum 2013-10-10 12:25 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Any Specialized Shiv owners out there? Rss Feed