General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-08-07 11:00 PM
in reply to: clemson05

New user
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Originally posted by clemson05

bib #1344 checking in. 2 more weeks of training with 1 big brick at the end will lead into my taper. Fit just hit the Shan!

As far as the bike goes, most people will probably be very unhappy with their average pace for the first 80 miles or so unless you are accustomed to hills like Louisville will offer. I am fortunate enough to live in an area that has no flat roads and access to some very steep climbs if you want them. This has come in handy for training but it also slows down the average speed to the "what is wrong with me" category. My advice is to pace by power or HR if that is how you train and turn the average mph off . The last 20-30 miles are the section when you will make up some of the time you lost on the climbing but it still is not going to be what anyone from a flat area is used to seeing.

One last bit of advice. Just remind yourself repeatedly that the extra 20-30 minutes that a well paced bike may cost you will save most people 45 minutes to an hour on their run by not having to walk starting at mile 5 of the marathon. All of the people blasting up the hills on the bike course are the ones you will see death marching to the finish of the run. You can waive at them as you run past because you were smart on the bike.

It's worth noting that most years, the last 30 miles of the bike are into a headwind, so don't expect to hammer at the end unless the wind is going a different direction than 'normal'.

2013-08-11 9:48 AM
in reply to: 3SpokeFan

User image

Regular
Akron
Two more weeks! The worst thing about the taper for me is watching what I eat. How about u guys?
2013-08-11 1:52 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

New user
Philadelphia
I am so beat that I am really looking forward to the taper period. I am so over these long rides. I have dropped 20 lbs since starting my training in the new year. How about you all?
2013-08-12 12:40 AM
in reply to: davidamitchell

Looking forward to the taper. Had my last race rehearsal today. BTW, how much is the elevation gain on the bike course? IM course map says ~2100 ft, while some Strava files show ~4000 ft.
2013-08-12 7:32 AM
in reply to: trigeeky

User image

Regular
Akron
I def haven't lost weight, but I def. can see some definition in my muscles.

A few questions...

I've only done one IM and that was Lake Placid. I was curious to how far the run from the water to the bike is. Is it shorter than Placid? Also, Once you get out of the water I assume you grab your bag and hit the tent. Are the bags with the bikes or are they on a hanging rack? From the videos it also looks like the athletes get their own bikes. In Placid the volunteers grabbed them for you. Is this correct as well?

Do the volunteers take your bike and put it back or are we are responsible for that?

One last question... I'm thinking of changing shorts this year. Once I'm in the tent can I drop trau anywhere or do I have to go in a changing closet? I think at Placid you could do it anywhere once you got in the tent.
2013-08-12 11:37 AM

User image

Louisville, KY
Originally posted by SEADOCHA

A few questions...

I've only done one IM and that was Lake Placid. I was curious to how far the run from the water to the bike is. Is it shorter than Placid? Also, Once you get out of the water I assume you grab your bag and hit the tent. Are the bags with the bikes or are they on a hanging rack? From the videos it also looks like the athletes get their own bikes. In Placid the volunteers grabbed them for you. Is this correct as well?

Do the volunteers take your bike and put it back or are we are responsible for that?

One last question... I'm thinking of changing shorts this year. Once I'm in the tent can I drop trau anywhere or do I have to go in a changing closet? I think at Placid you could do it anywhere once you got in the tent.

I haven't done Placid but did IM Lou in 2011 and have volunteered multiple other years. I'd say the distance from the swim exit to transition is about 100 yards give or take. Both the T1 and T2 bags are in the same spot. They'll be sitting in on the lawn (vs. hanging on a rack) and both coming off the swim and the bike you go down the same chute where volunteers call out your number and hand you your bag then you proceed to the changing tent. It gets hectic at times so it's important to make note of where your bags are should the volunteers be overwhelmed and not be able to hand them to you (all the rows of bags are marked by bib #).

There are "bike catcher" volunteers after you dismount and cross the "bike-in" who will take your bike from you and re-rack (all racks are bib# specific).

There's a no public nudity rule but I believe this just applies to on the course (in the tent there are no issues).

2013-08-12 11:43 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Are the bags with the bikes or are they on a hanging rack? From the videos it also looks like the athletes get their own bikes. In Placid the volunteers grabbed them for you. Is this correct as well? Do the volunteers take your bike and put it back or are we are responsible for that? One last question... I'm thinking of changing shorts this year. Once I'm in the tent can I drop trau anywhere or do I have to go in a changing closet? I think at Placid you could do it anywhere once you got in the tent.

Here's a visual of the bags, which you will set up prior to starting the race. They are in numerical order and the ground will likely be wet with dew in the morning. You can see the change tent(s) on the right-hand side of the photo. So you come out of the water from the left, grab your bag, then continue running towards the tents. Exit tents on the other side to the bike or run out.

2013-08-12 11:46 AM

User image

Louisville, KY
Originally posted by davidamitchell

I am so beat that I am really looking forward to the taper period. I am so over these long rides. I have dropped 20 lbs since starting my training in the new year. How about you all?

I actually enjoy the long rides but I think my wife and kids are more excited about the whole thing to be over so they can get daddy back. The honey-do list has grown significantly! Plenty to keep me busy to avoid the post-Ironman blues. Vacation in September will be long overdue and welcomed!

I've trimmed down a little too - about 20 or so since Thanksgiving.

I feel a couple minor aches that have developed over the last couple weeks that a good taper should heal.

Kevin
2013-08-12 12:59 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Don't they require T1 and T2 bags to be checked in on Saturday afternoon? Do racers place bags in the appropriate spot or do volunteers handle that? Do racers have access to T1/T2 bags on race morning? I thought the only thing we have access to on race morning are special needs bags and morning clothes bag.
2013-08-12 1:04 PM
in reply to: jkintn

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by jkintn Don't they require T1 and T2 bags to be checked in on Saturday afternoon? Do racers place bags in the appropriate spot or do volunteers handle that? Do racers have access to T1/T2 bags on race morning? I thought the only thing we have access to on race morning are special needs bags and morning clothes bag.

You place them in the grass Saturday but DO have access on Sunday (the photo I posted above is race morning). There will be volunteers assisting/monitoring the area but you place them yourself.

2013-08-12 1:08 PM
in reply to: lisac957

Originally posted by lisac957

Originally posted by jkintn Don't they require T1 and T2 bags to be checked in on Saturday afternoon? Do racers place bags in the appropriate spot or do volunteers handle that? Do racers have access to T1/T2 bags on race morning? I thought the only thing we have access to on race morning are special needs bags and morning clothes bag.

You place them in the grass Saturday but DO have access on Sunday (the photo I posted above is race morning). There will be volunteers assisting/monitoring the area but you place them yourself.

Thank you for clarifying. I've already made lists of items for each bag but in the event I miss something, access on Sunday morning will be great.

2013-08-12 1:52 PM
in reply to: jkintn

User image

New user
Philadelphia
So what's the deal on the bike course with the bottle exchanges? I understand they have them roughly every 20 miles, right? Is there any reason to bring anymore than 2 bottles with you since you can grab two at every aid station? I'm assuming they are full bottles to exchange (e.g. 20 or 24 ounce bottles), correct? What's everyone bringing on the bike with them?

I'm definitely starting to obsess over this stuff, but I don't want to be unprepared. This is my first IM and the way I see it, I have one shot at this because my wife is not going to put up with me doing this again! At least not for a LONG time.
2013-08-12 2:53 PM

User image

New user

So what's the deal on the bike course with the bottle exchanges? I understand they have them roughly every 20 miles, right? Is there any reason to bring anymore than 2 bottles with you since you can grab two at every aid station? I'm assuming they are full bottles to exchange (e.g. 20 or 24 ounce bottles), correct? What's everyone bringing on the bike with them?

I'm definitely starting to obsess over this stuff, but I don't want to be unprepared. This is my first IM and the way I see it, I have one shot at this because my wife is not going to put up with me doing this again! At least not for a LONG time.

I am also obsessing over these details! We've got the training done, now I think it's all in the little details--if we take care of those, and have a solid plan for race execution, then the rest is up to the Triathlon Gods, right?

This is also my first IM, and as my husband likes to call it, my ONLY IM! (He has been SUPER supportive, but like your wife, is ready for it to be over.)

My understanding is the water and Perform are in bottles with a sport-bottle twist top. I use a Profile Design double bottle aero bar setup, so I've got a 27 oz. for Perform and 17 oz. for water, plus I'll start with one 20-24 oz. bottle on a behind the seat cage. That's the one I'll dispose of eventually, I'll refill the front ones with Perform and water, and if I can manage to grab it make sure I have a Perform bottle in the rear cage at all times.

Have you watched the 4-part video from Endurance Nation on YouTube yet? If not, watch it! It really helped me with a plan for the race, and he also describes the best plan for going through the bike aid stations. We're almost there!!!! Woot woot!
2013-08-12 3:29 PM
in reply to: rquinn23

User image

Chicago, IL
Originally posted by rquinn23

Have you watched the 4-part video from Endurance Nation on YouTube yet? If not, watch it! It really helped me with a plan for the race, and he also describes the best plan for going through the bike aid stations. We're almost there!!!! Woot woot!

I watched the video, I think I searched "The 4 keys to Ironman Louisville", and it popped up.
Very helpful, and informative. I've actually added a reminder on my calendar to rewatch it next week, before the race.

This is my first IM. Each passing day my level of anxiety ramps up a little more.
Bring it on.
2013-08-12 3:42 PM
in reply to: pmtaylor621

User image

New user
Philadelphia
I have watched it and I found it helpful too. Certainly has given me plenty to think about and how to approach the race.
2013-08-12 4:25 PM
in reply to: 0

I just got back from a training weekend up on the course and I have the elevation closer to 5K worth of accent (according to garmin).

Overall there aren't really any sustained climbs that you need to worry about. The worst part is the last 30 miles back to transition. Even though it is net downhill, we will most certainly be battling a headwind. Mentally you need to be prepared to grind a bit.

Edited by MGAdams 2013-08-12 4:27 PM

2013-08-12 5:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

I def haven't lost weight, but I def. can see some definition in my muscles.

A few questions...

The run from water to bike is DEF shorter than LP (that is the longest swim to bike EVER...LOL). Bags are not hanging on a rack like they were in LP; they are in a row by number on the grass (Lisa posted a great picture of that!!). However, a volunteer will get your bag for you (we had to get our own bags at LP).

If I remember correctly, you get your own bike, but the volunteers will take it for you when you come back in.

Changing tent is basically the same.....drop trau wherever you'd like once you are in there .
2013-08-13 3:47 AM
in reply to: marathongirl11

User image

I know we're not allowed to have our shoes already mounted on the pedals (which will make it annoying for me to run in my bike shoes since I use Speedplay), but what about dismounting coming into T2? Do I have to keep my bike shoes on or can I slip my feet out and run barefoot through T2?
2013-08-13 3:53 AM
in reply to: #4409635

User image

I believe there is an aid station evey 10 miles on the bike. I plan on leaving T1 with one 24oz aero bottle filled with perform and 2 gels. I will be living off the course. I will grab a perform to go in my aero bottle and a water which I will rack behind me every 10 miles. Also nutrition of course.

I have read that you might not get special needs bags back. Has this been your experience?

I am assuming you will get your Tbags back of course.

2013-08-13 5:01 AM
in reply to: Calvin386

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Originally posted by Calvin386

I believe there is an aid station evey 10 miles on the bike. I plan on leaving T1 with one 24oz aero bottle filled with perform and 2 gels. I will be living off the course. I will grab a perform to go in my aero bottle and a water which I will rack behind me every 10 miles. Also nutrition of course.

I have read that you might not get special needs bags back. Has this been your experience?

I am assuming you will get your Tbags back of course.

Transition bags yes, special needs bags no, be sure not to put anything in there you will want back.

I too am planning on living off the course. If you can do it, it really saves you a lot of hassle
2013-08-13 7:17 AM
in reply to: jillian_o

User image

Regular
Akron
yes, don't put anything in your special needs bag if you will miss it. My friend was actually able to get his back at Lake Placid last year, but don't be upset if you don't get it back. He had shoes in it.

A good rule of thumb if this is your first IM for the aid stations....VERY IMPORTANT!!!! Go slow to avoid accidents!!!!!!There was a fatal accident that occurred in Musselman this year because of a wreck in the aid station.

Point at the person you want something from, make eye contact and yell out what you want (for example) "WATER, WATER, WATER", slow down and the volunteer should run backwards with you (if they know what they are doing). Make sure you are aware of your surroundings as well! We all need to do this to for everyone's safety!

Thanks for the photo of the bags for transition area!

2013-08-13 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I doubt that anyone would actually know this, but does any one have any idea of what type of bonk breakers are at the aid stations. The only reason that I ask is that I am allergic to peanuts. I am thinking of just packing enough bars with me, and the rest in my special needs to be sure.
2013-08-13 3:16 PM
in reply to: scottyr7

User image

Sorry, I don't know what kind of Bonk Breaker Bars will be in aid stations. You may get an answer by going to the IronMan facebook page.

I understand there is a lost and found pick up the day after the race.

How does that work?

Is this where you may be able to pick up special needs bag contents?

Surely all that special needs gear is not just thrown away. That would be about 6000 SN bags and gear just thrown away.

2013-08-13 5:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

I am wondering the same thing about bottles. This is my first IM, but I recently did IM Raleigh 70.3 and they have water/Perform bottles there, but they were actual consumer bottles, not cage/water bottles. So, my plan is to use my AeroDrink up front for water, and have two water bottles behind. Then, I'm going to leave my frame cage on the bike, but without a bottle. This way, I should be able to take one water at every aid station and dump it into my aerodrink, and take one Perform bottle and keep it in my empty bottle cage. I'll plan on water every aid station, but not necessarily Perform; I'll get that as needed, probably every other.
2013-08-14 4:48 PM
in reply to: trigeeky

User image

Expert
Lancaster, PA
Originally posted by trigeeky

Looking forward to the taper. Had my last race rehearsal today. BTW, how much is the elevation gain on the bike course? IM course map says ~2100 ft, while some Strava files show ~4000 ft.

I mapped it again the other day showing something similar to this

http://ridewithgps.com/trips/378883

Imagine what most new athletes would think if the posted elevation exceeded 5k+ ? One of the many reasons the race still has openings.

Thomas
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15