General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-08-15 9:37 AM
in reply to: golfpro

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
I just don't know how in this day and age so many different elevation figures can be quoted. I've seen everything from 2,100 ft to 6,300 feet. How is this even remotely possible?

2013-08-15 9:40 AM
in reply to: golfpro

User image

Chantilly, VA
I rode the course with my Garmin and showed similar elevation (6467 gain). I realize Garmin is notorious for faulty elevations, but this course is ANYTHING but flat. Pace, pace, pace.
2013-08-15 9:55 AM
in reply to: davidamitchell

New user
Originally posted by davidamitchell

I just don't know how in this day and age so many different elevation figures can be quoted. I've seen everything from 2,100 ft to 6,300 feet. How is this even remotely possible?

Garmin elevation data without any correction applied is notoriously unreliable.
2013-08-15 10:05 AM
in reply to: rjscott

User image

New user
Originally posted by rjscott

I rode the course with my Garmin and showed similar elevation (6467 gain). I realize Garmin is notorious for faulty elevations, but this course is ANYTHING but flat. Pace, pace, pace.

So can you provide an assessment of the course? I've read a lot about it, but another perspective can't hurt :-). I am coming from Central Florida where it is FLAT. I have done some rides in Clermont, FL, which has some minor rollers and some steep climbs. I think for my 115 mile ride there Strava data said 4,500ft for elevation. I do not have a compact crank, so my speed slows WAY down on steep climbs, and pretty much when I hit a 4% grade I have to switch to my small chain ring and I just try to keep a steady cadence. So what advice do you have on the bike course?
2013-08-15 10:22 AM
in reply to: rquinn23

User image

Middle Georgia
Its a course to be respected. Its constant just bigger than roller hills. The out & back section has some real hills that need caution going down & up. The only flat section is the riverfront road going out & back. Otherwise, your mostly up & down. It will beat you down if you don't conserve your strength.
2013-08-15 11:27 AM

User image

Chantilly, VA
Becky, I've only raced IM Louisville once (2010), but grew up off Hwy 42 and know the area well. In my opinion, there are a few things that make the bike course challenging, and it's not really the hills. The roads, in particular River Road and 42, are not in the best of shape. Lot's of pot holes, cracks, pavement breaks, etc. that you need to look out for. Be especially careful around the first aid station at River Road and 42. It gets pretty packed that early in the bike, people are screaming down River Road, and the aid station is immediately before you make a left onto 42. I saw a guy go down very hard at this aid station in 2010.

To sum up the course I'd say it's up, down, up, down, up down...for 5 or 6 + hours. The hills aren't that steep, or long, but the rollers require you to constantly change gears and it can become pretty taxing mentally if nothing else. If you're without a compact crank, like me, I would recommend using an 11-27 rear cassette so you can spin up the hills and power down the other side.

My "for whatever it's worth" advice for the ride...take it easy on River Road heading out of town, even though you'll be getting passed like mad. Save it...you'll need it. The climb up 42 to the out and back can be challenging so don't overdo it. I personally think the outback is a fun section of the course and you can really build up some speed coming back toward 42....until you hit the hill of course (not very long though). 393 is what I would watch out for. This section can really take it out you if you're not careful. Nice and steady on the first loop and push a little harder on the second if you're feeling good. The last 30 miles are ever so slightly down hill and, as long as there's not too much wind, can be quite fast. Most of all enjoy the awesome scenery, great fan support in LaGrange, and be ready to run!

I hope you have a great race.

2013-08-15 10:23 PM
in reply to: #4827627

User image

Question for those who have done Louisville before... Are there mile markers on the run?

2013-08-16 5:52 AM
in reply to: 0

New user
Yes...........every mile, and they get farther apart at each marker I have to say, but I dont know why, other than the finish I was most happy to see number 20. I guess it was like getting to the top of a big hill.
Good luck, you'll do good.

Edited by cedar creek 2013-08-16 5:55 AM
2013-08-16 6:20 AM
in reply to: rjscott

User image

New user
Originally posted by rjscott

Becky, I've only raced IM Louisville once (2010), but grew up off Hwy 42 and know the area well. In my opinion, there are a few things that make the bike course challenging, and it's not really the hills. The roads, in particular River Road and 42, are not in the best of shape. Lot's of pot holes, cracks, pavement breaks, etc. that you need to look out for. Be especially careful around the first aid station at River Road and 42. It gets pretty packed that early in the bike, people are screaming down River Road, and the aid station is immediately before you make a left onto 42. I saw a guy go down very hard at this aid station in 2010.

To sum up the course I'd say it's up, down, up, down, up down...for 5 or 6 + hours. The hills aren't that steep, or long, but the rollers require you to constantly change gears and it can become pretty taxing mentally if nothing else. If you're without a compact crank, like me, I would recommend using an 11-27 rear cassette so you can spin up the hills and power down the other side.

My "for whatever it's worth" advice for the ride...take it easy on River Road heading out of town, even though you'll be getting passed like mad. Save it...you'll need it. The climb up 42 to the out and back can be challenging so don't overdo it. I personally think the outback is a fun section of the course and you can really build up some speed coming back toward 42....until you hit the hill of course (not very long though). 393 is what I would watch out for. This section can really take it out you if you're not careful. Nice and steady on the first loop and push a little harder on the second if you're feeling good. The last 30 miles are ever so slightly down hill and, as long as there's not too much wind, can be quite fast. Most of all enjoy the awesome scenery, great fan support in LaGrange, and be ready to run!

I hope you have a great race.

Thanks so much, this is very helpful and is in line with other things I read about the bike course. My plan is to switch my Garmin to heart rate and cadence for most of the race, until the final 30 miles or so when I will switch back to looking at speed. I know myself and I think I will get freaked out about how "slow" I think I'm going early on, then I'll go too hard and end up walking the marathon! So if I focus on heart rate and racing my own race, not worrying about others, I think I'll have a more successful race. That's the plan, anyway!

Thanks again!
2013-08-16 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
The biggest piece of advice I have been given by numerous people who have done Louisville is pace yourself. I was told for the first 60-90 minutes try to go easier than you think you should. When you get to that pace, click down one more gear. After the first 90 min or so pace is everything. Pace based on hr, power, effort, or whatever method works for you but don't look at mph. I did 2 flat HIM races last year and my bike split mph was an average of 22-23mph. My coach told me not to look at mph because if I did I would probably see 16-17 average mph for most of the race.

My thought is an extra 30 minutes spent on the bike because I took it too easy will likely save me an hour of walking on the marathon. No one ever finished an IM and said I should have gone harder because I have plently of energy left. Worst case scenerio is you go too easy on the bike and run a faster than anticipated marathon.

2013-08-16 9:04 AM
in reply to: clemson05

New user
Originally posted by clemson05

The biggest piece of advice I have been given by numerous people who have done Louisville is pace yourself. I was told for the first 60-90 minutes try to go easier than you think you should. When you get to that pace, click down one more gear. After the first 90 min or so pace is everything. Pace based on hr, power, effort, or whatever method works for you but don't look at mph. I did 2 flat HIM races last year and my bike split mph was an average of 22-23mph. My coach told me not to look at mph because if I did I would probably see 16-17 average mph for most of the race.

My thought is an extra 30 minutes spent on the bike because I took it too easy will likely save me an hour of walking on the marathon. No one ever finished an IM and said I should have gone harder because I have plently of energy left. Worst case scenerio is you go too easy on the bike and run a faster than anticipated marathon.

Yep. The difference between a 15mph bike & 16mph bike is ~28 minutes, but if you expend an extra 30 watts average output getting there, you're probably going to lose that time and then some on the run(walk). Don't burn your matches on the bike if at all possible, save them for the run.

2013-08-16 9:52 AM
in reply to: 3SpokeFan

User image

Chicago, IL
Any word on the water temp?
Since it's been a pretty mild summer, is there ANY chance the swim could be wetsuit legal?

I did my first OWS without a wetsuit last night, and I just didn't feel as comfortable (granted, Lake Michigan feels much more brisk sans wetsuit).
Maybe I'm freaking myself out, but being able to swim in a wetsuit would be one less concern.

Then I focus 100% of my "freaking out" energy on the bike (nutrition, hydration, mechanical failures).

9 days people. See you in Louisville in a WEEK!!!!
2013-08-16 10:03 AM
in reply to: pmtaylor621

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Originally posted by pmtaylor621

Since it's been a pretty mild summer, is there ANY chance the swim could be wetsuit legal?

I did my first OWS without a wetsuit last night, and I just didn't feel as comfortable (granted, Lake Michigan feels much more brisk sans wetsuit).
Maybe I'm freaking myself out, but being able to swim in a wetsuit would be one less concern.

Then I focus 100% of my "freaking out" energy on the bike (nutrition, hydration, mechanical failures).

I would say 0% chance of it being wetsuit legal. Look at it this way, when you signed up, you pretty much knew that it wouldn't be wetsuit legal, so just put that out of your mind. If it just so happens to be so, you get a bonus on race morning.

There is a chance of the temps being in the "wetsuit optional" range (76.2-83.8). Personally, I would not consider wearing one when the water temps are that warm. Even without a wetsuit in warm water, you are going to be dehydrated after that swim. I do not want to start my day in a bigger hole just to save a couple minutes on the swim.
2013-08-16 10:39 AM
in reply to: scottyr7

User image

Chicago, IL
Originally posted by scottyr7

I would say 0% chance of it being wetsuit legal. Look at it this way, when you signed up, you pretty much knew that it wouldn't be wetsuit legal, so just put that out of your mind. If it just so happens to be so, you get a bonus on race morning.

There is a chance of the temps being in the "wetsuit optional" range (76.2-83.8). Personally, I would not consider wearing one when the water temps are that warm. Even without a wetsuit in warm water, you are going to be dehydrated after that swim. I do not want to start my day in a bigger hole just to save a couple minutes on the swim.

Good point. I've been trying not to worry about factors which are out of my control (#1: the weather).
I guess the water temp is just another of those factors I need not concern myself with, and the truth is, the swim is probably the leg of the race I'm least worried about.

First IM nerves, I guess.
2013-08-16 5:09 PM
in reply to: pmtaylor621

User image

Regular
Akron
more questions....

Do we check our bikes in on Sat or Sun? What time? I don't see it in the guide

Do we check gear bags and special needs bags in on Saturday or race morning?

2013-08-16 5:12 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Originally posted by SEADOCHA

more questions....

Do we check our bikes in on Sat or Sun? What time? I don't see it in the guide

Do we check gear bags and special needs bags in on Saturday or race morning?

Everything on Saturday. It's kind of tucked into the top of page 6 of the guide.
12 p.m. 5 p.m. Mandatory Bike & Gear Bag Check-In Transition Area - Great Lawn

2013-08-17 1:05 PM
in reply to: japewang

User image

New user
Just got notified by the Marriott Residence Inn that they are overbooked, and my PAID reservation from FEBRUARY is cancelled. Did anyone else get booted from there?
2013-08-17 1:30 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Originally posted by CCS_56_EX

Just got notified by the Marriott Residence Inn that they are overbooked, and my PAID reservation from FEBRUARY is cancelled. Did anyone else get booted from there?

OMG ~ that sucks! I'm in the Marriott (not Residence Inn) but haven't heard anything. Dam, that's pretty crappy....wow. Is there still any openings through the IM website?

I can say this...I was a spectator there last year and forgot to book a hotel until pretty last minute (ooops!), but actually ended up getting a great room at the Hampton Inn....I'm sure due to cancellations. I know its a pain, and really sucks at this point, but I bet you can still find something good in the area.

Edited by marathongirl11 2013-08-17 1:31 PM
2013-08-17 1:49 PM

New user

Annapolis

I think there is a good chance it will be wetsuit legal. A lake in Columbia Maryland (We call it Goose Crap Lake) has normally been 86 or 87 each year, and today the temperature is 78. Tomorrows race may be wetsuit legal if it is a cool night. I think streams, creeks, and rivers tend to be a little cooler than lakes anyway.

I haven't found any river temperatures listed around Louisville yet. But even if it is wetsuit legal, I am not sure I am going to wear mine (if I even take it). I get pretty toasty swimming in 77 degree water without a wetsuit, and don't want to be overheated before I even start the bike.

-Rip

2013-08-17 2:32 PM
in reply to: riplash

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Originally posted by riplash

I think there is a good chance it will be wetsuit legal. A lake in Columbia Maryland (We call it Goose Crap Lake) has normally been 86 or 87 each year, and today the temperature is 78. Tomorrows race may be wetsuit legal if it is a cool night. I think streams, creeks, and rivers tend to be a little cooler than lakes anyway.

I haven't found any river temperatures listed around Louisville yet. But even if it is wetsuit legal, I am not sure I am going to wear mine (if I even take it). I get pretty toasty swimming in 77 degree water without a wetsuit, and don't want to be overheated before I even start the bike.

-Rip

Here is a link to water data near Warsaw, KY which is just upstream from Louisville. Right now, it is showing 79 degrees which is the lowest it has been in the past week.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?03277200

2013-08-17 11:54 PM
in reply to: #4409635

User image

Ironman's FB page says that if the temp ends up in the gray area, athletes choosing to wear wetsuits will start after the last non-wetsuit athlete enters the water.

I'm not wearing a wetsuit no matter what the temp is. I didn't train with one so I'm not changing it up in the last week.

2013-08-18 9:30 AM
in reply to: Calvin386

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Originally posted by Calvin386

Ironman's FB page says that if the temp ends up in the gray area, athletes choosing to wear wetsuits will start after the last non-wetsuit athlete enters the water.

I'm not wearing a wetsuit no matter what the temp is. I didn't train with one so I'm not changing it up in the last week.

I'm with you on that one. No way I am even going to consider a wetsuit in that warm of water. I would be roasting by the end of the swim.

ONE WEEK FROM TODAY!
2013-08-18 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
No wetsuit for me either.

One week, one week, one week!!!!
2013-08-18 1:23 PM
in reply to: marathongirl11

User image

Regular
Akron
swimskin only for me
2013-08-18 1:24 PM
in reply to: CCS_56_EX

User image

Regular
Akron
Originally posted by CCS_56_EX

I think the Hyatt still has openings. Man that stinks though. I would raise holey hell!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15