General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-08-18 6:54 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
I listen to this every year before Ironman. It really gets me excited and ready for the big day. Thought I would share it here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9O84Ry6axY

If that link doesn't work, search "Ironman Motivation" and look for the video by "mfolland". I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Think of the lyrics at the end of the race:

Won't stop til its over
Won't stop to surrender

I LOVE Ironman .

Edited by marathongirl11 2013-08-18 6:55 PM

2013-08-19 7:04 PM
in reply to: Calvin386

User image

New user

Naperville, Illinois

Originally posted by Calvin386 Question for those who have done Louisville before... Are there mile markers on the run?

Separate run question :

I understand we have to turn our run gear bags in on Saturday.  I use a fuel belt and my own concoction of gatorade and maltodextrin.  Will I have a chance to add my bottles to the run gear bag on Sunday morning before the race?

2013-08-19 8:30 PM
in reply to: quinnpenny

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia

For anyone interested, if there's a list of BT members participating in the race I can create a page to display all of the splits so you don't have to deal with the IM live site. We are driving in Thursday evening and was also wondering if there was any sort of meet up prior to the race. I'm not doing the race but will be cheering folks on.

2013-08-19 9:31 PM

User image

Louisville, KY
Originally posted by quinnpenny

Originally posted by Calvin386 Question for those who have done Louisville before... Are there mile markers on the run?

Separate run question :

I understand we have to turn our run gear bags in on Saturday.  I use a fuel belt and my own concoction of gatorade and maltodextrin.  Will I have a chance to add my bottles to the run gear bag on Sunday morning before the race?

Yes. You have access to your T1/T2 bags in transition on race morning to add nutrition.

Edited by kevinlikestorun 2013-08-19 9:32 PM
2013-08-20 9:12 AM
in reply to: kevinlikestorun

User image

Regular
Akron
Can I wear old shoes and a sweatshirt to walk to the swim line and throw them out before I start? I heard it's like a mile walk from transition to the swim start and would prefer not to do this with bare feet to save them for later, plus I'm a freeze baby. If it's high 60's in the morning I may be a little chilly
2013-08-20 1:29 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Louisville, KY
Originally posted by SEADOCHA

Can I wear old shoes and a sweatshirt to walk to the swim line and throw them out before I start? I heard it's like a mile walk from transition to the swim start and would prefer not to do this with bare feet to save them for later, plus I'm a freeze baby. If it's high 60's in the morning I may be a little chilly

You get a morning clothes bag that will have your bib number on it. You can put whatever can fit in it and collect it at the convention center after. Volunteers collect them at the swim start before you get in the water.

2013-08-20 1:43 PM

User image

Louisville, KY
How's everyone's taper going? This is my 2nd IM race (did IM Lou 2011) and I'm feeling good this far. Last time I remember feeling like crap the week of. Not sure if it's mental or what. There is something to be said for experience but I'm still getting butterflies often thinking about Sunday.

FYI I noticed there wasn't language in the athlete guide bike rules regarding wearing your bib on the bike. I e-mailed the RD and got confirmation the bib is optional on the bike. It's only required on the run.

4 days 16 hours 16 minutes to go!

Edited by kevinlikestorun 2013-08-20 1:45 PM
2013-08-20 2:08 PM

User image

Regular
Akron
Originally posted by kevinlikestorun

How's everyone's taper going? This is my 2nd IM race (did IM Lou 2011) and I'm feeling good this far. Last time I remember feeling like crap the week of. Not sure if it's mental or what. There is something to be said for experience but I'm still getting butterflies often thinking about Sunday.

FYI I noticed there wasn't language in the athlete guide bike rules regarding wearing your bib on the bike. I e-mailed the RD and got confirmation the bib is optional on the bike. It's only required on the run.

4 days 16 hours 16 minutes to go!

That's good info to know. Thanks!

My taper was going horrible until this past wknd! I have never had such horrible, craziness in my life and pains! Crazy pain!!! I finally started turning the corner this wknd and am feeling like I will be smooth sailing into the race. Shwew! Can't wait to rock it out!
2013-08-20 3:42 PM
in reply to: #4409635

User image

My taper is going well. Kind of weird not training very much after weeks of high volume training. The advice I follow is you can only hurt yourself during week of the race. Nothing is gonna make you more fit this week. Just keep those muscles awake, rest, eat and drink right.
2013-08-20 3:49 PM
in reply to: Calvin386

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Yeah, I'm definitely having mixed feelings about the taper. I do appreciate not having to do 100 mile bike rides on the weekend, but I definitely feel more aches and pains than during y big training weeks. I also feel like I'm losing my fitness, like suddenly I can't possibly run that far. I keep reminding myself that 9 months of work won't be undone in a week.
2013-08-20 5:22 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Yesterday I woke up with a cold so I didn't do anything at all yesterday and today to try and play it safe. What timing huh? I have not had a fever at all so hopefully it won't affect my race

2013-08-21 11:11 AM
in reply to: jillian_o

User image

New user
Philadelphia
I'm feeling pretty good. Just occasionally getting concerned with "did I do enough" and going back over my nine months of training. Not that I can actually do anything about it at this point, I guess just reassuring myself. We are almost there! Good luck to all!
2013-08-21 12:54 PM
in reply to: davidamitchell

User image

Regular
Akron
where can I get some good french toast on Sat morning???
2013-08-21 4:31 PM

User image

Toast on Market
2013-08-22 8:33 AM
in reply to: za29

User image

Chicago, IL
Chicago to Louisville, departing in about 9 hours.

Not sure I'll be able to check this thread too much in the next 70ish hours before taking the plunge, so best of luck to everyone.
See you at Fourth Street Live on Sunday night.

Paul (Bib #1834)
2013-08-22 9:58 AM
in reply to: CCS_56_EX

User image

Regular
Originally posted by CCS_56_EX

Just got notified by the Marriott Residence Inn that they are overbooked, and my PAID reservation from FEBRUARY is cancelled. Did anyone else get booted from there?

This may sound crazy but tweet about it and # tag marriott and the that was pulled. You may get lucky. Lots of marketing folks following it these days. Several people I know have taken to tweeter and within a couple hours gottern things fixed.

2013-08-22 10:05 AM
in reply to: 7ofClubs

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by 7ofClubs
Originally posted by CCS_56_EX Just got notified by the Marriott Residence Inn that they are overbooked, and my PAID reservation from FEBRUARY is cancelled. Did anyone else get booted from there?
This may sound crazy but tweet about it and # tag marriott and the that was pulled. You may get lucky. Lots of marketing folks following it these days. Several people I know have taken to tweeter and within a couple hours gottern things fixed.

x2! Also to OP did you reserve through Marriott itself, or a travel site like hotels.com or travelocity/expedia? I was told (by Marriott, after this happened to me) that if you book directly through the hotel you won't be booted, but other sites reservations are the first to be. 

Sorry to hear, that is stressful.

2013-08-23 4:17 PM
in reply to: lisac957

New user
I drove the bike course today, thought I'd post a few observations.

1) The roads are in good shape for the most part. No chipseal(thank Hades), very few cracks/potholes, and they had street-sweepers out cleaning River Road.
2) Notable exceptions: the train tracks a couple miles from T1, near Captain's Quarters there's some patchwork to be aware of, the bridge at the bottom of the out & back descent is worth being careful on(a bit of sketchy pavement, plus it will likely be crowded at peak times), and there are a couple construction entrances along the way where there's some loose gravel/rocks. The vast majority of the course is great & you should be able to bomb down the descents without worrying too much about something sneaking up on you.
3) The largest climb(on the out & back) is almost exactly a mile long, so pace yourself properly. For the flat-landers like myself, that's going to be a slow climb in the smallest gear I have.
4) I heard someone refer to these as 'down-up' hills - meaning you get the downhill at the beginning & the climb at the end - and I get what they're talking about now. Pay attention to where the descents are so you don't miss an opportunity to take advantage of the momentum.
5) There's a pretty good amount of shade on the course, especially at the beginning/end. You'll be out in the sun for awhile on the back side of the course, but this is more shade than I get on my long rides so I'm pretty happy about that.
6) I've been told that the who throws tacks on the course does it at the bottom of that big descent on the out & back, so that's another reason to be a little careful at the bridge. Whoever he/she is, they put their usual 'no ironman' spray painted sign on River Road again.
7) They look to be putting signs on the roads themselves using florescent tape rather than on the side of the road, including mile markers every 10 miles and arrows on the turns. I was able to follow the whole course off those without referring to the map, so it should be easy to spot on the bike. I did miss the turn onto Ballard School Road, but that was my fault. They've been marking the course well.
8) I wish I had done more hills on my long rides. Oh well, too late now.

Bib #1543
2013-08-23 8:05 PM
in reply to: 3SpokeFan

User image

Regular
Akron
Do u know about what mile the no ironman sign is by chance? What a bunch of jerks!
2013-08-23 9:53 PM

New user
Originally posted by SEADOCHA

Do u know about what mile the no ironman sign is by chance? What a bunch of jerks!

Not offhand, it's on River Road. You can't miss it, it takes up the whole lane.
2013-08-24 8:57 AM
in reply to: 3SpokeFan

User image

Louisville, KY
I live in Louisville and don't really understand the negativity. I think it's a few people making a lot of noise.

http://m.bizjournals.com/louisville/blog/2013/08/ironman-will-bring...

2013-08-24 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Less than 24 hours away!!!! I skipped the practice swim this morning in favor of getting as much sleep as I can, since I know I won't get much sleep tonight. Leaving in about an hour to drop off bike and gear bag, then lunch and back to the hotel to put feet up for the rest of the day
2013-08-24 2:49 PM

New user
A little humor for those of you about to do Louisville for the first time and for the veterans.
I found this on a BT thread from October 2006. The thread was "Its Official:Ironman Louisville 2007" .

I found this question and answer and thought it was funny

Qestion.........

####### - 2006-10-04 12:20 PM

Wow- so the rumor is confirmed!

I am assuming Louisville is hilly?? Anyone know?

Answer.........

Louisville is not hilly. Go up to IN a little bit, and you'll find a few mounds but thats about it.

Have fun tomorrow and remember to hydrate and take in your nutrition and be safe.
You can do this!!
2013-08-26 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Well, it wasn't pretty, but I finished in 14:16. Felt really sick on the bike and not sure why, run was a sufferfest.

Congrats to all finisher!
2013-08-27 7:34 AM

Congrats to all who finished.

First Ironman for me. Tough day but everything went better than I ever could have expected. Finished in 11:57. Goal was sub-13 so to finish sub-12 was a shock to me. I loved everything about the IM experience. Obviously I don't have any experience with other IM events, but not sure why Louisville is so much less popular than other venues. Yes, it was hot and the bike course is tough, but the event was very well run. Volunteers were incredible and the crowd support was great.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15